Help with frozen joint needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with frozen joint needed.

I have a heavy duty Harley hauler for my RV made by Blue Ox. Two of the joints will barely budge. They both have zirk fittings but won't accept any fresh grease( you can just make out the zerk fitting). I removed a bolt that holds the joint together, stood it up right and soaked it in WD40 until I had it running out the other end but it still won't turn?

The square 2" solid steel tube is evidentally turned down (as in lathe operation) on one end to fit in this sleeve that the cable is just touching. That sleeve is welded to the piece you see heading up the screen. It is supposed to allow pivoting action at the joint.

Tools at my disposal are O/A setup, hyralulic jacks, pry bars

Any suggestions on how best to unstick this joint?

Last edited by Your Old Dog; 08-29-2011, 11:23 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Well, its going to wreck your shiny black paint, but it looks like it is calling for some heat from an oxy acetylene torch to get it apart.
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 08-29-2011, 12:40 PM.
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow
      Well, its going to wreck your shiny black paint, but it looks like it is calling for some heat from and oxy acetylene torch to get it apart.
      Ditto. You're going to have to get it apart and clean out the rust/gunk.

Comment

Perhaps if you swapped the Harley for something more reliable you wouldn't have to tow it to start ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John,that's why the carrier is on the BACK so as the parts fall off they don't get driven over and damage the coach

Comment

I would get a puller ready with an impact wrench and then heat the bushing up with the puller in place and then hit it with the impact wrench. If you get it hot enough it will come off.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

WD 40 is not the best penetrant. I prefer Kano Kroil. If you must use a commercial product anyway.
              Joe

Comment

Simply remove the zerk fitting and spray a GOOD pentrating oil in the hole and let it work its way down. This could take repeated applications, over a couple of days.

If time is of the essence, then heat will get it done. Again, remove the zerk fitting first. If you wind up taking it apart, reassemble with some anti-seize. I also use Kroil from the Kano Corporation (AeroKroil is the aerosol version). If you don't have access to Kroil, then try PB Blaster that is available at many auto parts stores.

Comment

Every time I read the title to this thread, it makes me laugh---It keeps making me think that it should have been posted by an Eskimo----
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Yeah, that's the first joint that came to mind then I thought maybe he left his Mary Jane out in the snow.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Try one of these:
                      http://toolmonger.com/2008/08/07/rej...gs-and-joints/
                      It might save you a lot of work.

http://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/M...416/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782
                        John,that's why the carrier is on the BACK so as the parts fall off they don't get driven over and damage the coach
                        LOL!

Now that there was funny, wunndit?

Comment

One word. Heat.

Comment

What if he was to heat the affected joint and then pump some grease in?Wouldn't that have a similar effect as pentrant?

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I was just able to make them out above all the noise from one of resident Limeys in the forum

I'm thinking on trying Firkirhd suggestion sort of. Stealing from his idea I'm thinking of cutting the zirk part off a new fitting and brazing it to a small piece of pipe. Pour some liquid wrench into the tube and then putting a snug fitting piece of brass stock into it and whomp it with a hammer. If that don't get things moving I'll do the heat thing. I have a rosebud for my O/A setup. If I can get the heat to the sleeve fast enough the bulk or mass in the 2" solid square may keep it cool enough that it might work.

Sir John, I know it ain't exactly a plethura but I do have title to two of sweet sounding babes! A guy offered to trade me a garage full of Commandos for one but I passed as I couldn't afford the oil

Last edited by Your Old Dog; 08-29-2011, 10:57 PM.
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X