X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Proposed changes affecting EU & UK motorbike riders

Found this on another forum - scary stuff

Proposed changes affecting UK bike riders

I know there are a few UK bike riders on here, I've just found out about some proposed EU changes that make scary reading
    Don't shoot the messenger, but just listing a summary here so you know about it

IMPORTANT please read this will affect you in the end.

EU internal marketing and consumer protection are currently in the process of passing "anti tampering" legislation amongst other things with regard to motorcycles....

I hear you say..."we're not bikers!"

if this goes through it WILL get extended to cars....

Some of the basics
    no modification....at all, end of, finito benito.....incl tyres, air filter, exhausts even sprocket sizes.
    only factory approved parts....incl spark plugs and only available to Approved service dealers.. end of home servicing
    on board diognostics recording route, ryding style, speed an emmissions downloadable by the police and insurance companies
    and the scariest
    ALL MOTORCYLES OVER 7 YEARS OLD BANNED FROM URBAN AREAS

this is not a bit of scare mongering as it's gona be voted on in early October, if passed it's law with no input from parliament and customising bikes in the UK is over for good
    see www,mag-uk.org
    and http://www.ridersarevoters.org/

There is a protest planned for 25th Sept, which could be quite good fun actually as it involves driving and we really should be supporting the bikers. I will be doing what I can ... I urge you all to do the same.

For more details visit the link above or read up on the forum I found it on,
    full credit to the orginal posters see http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...-you-end-41335
    On the plus side, there's some very impressive craftsmanship scattered around their forum

Have fun, apologies for being the bearer of bad news
    I believe the French are doing that now.

Bloody regulators
    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

That's outrageous. I hope it doesn't pass, but I just don't know how so many of your regulations get passed (don't get me started on rights to self-defense/guns) without an up swell of public protest.

Sadly, I firmly believe that we here will face the same thing in the not-too-distant future. There are too many riders here who seem to believe it is their God-given right to usurp existing public noise-related ordinances.

Others on motorcycles flout the laws regarding handlebar height, turn signals, display of tags, licensing, overall safe operation of motorcycles or all of the above. These riders do far more to endanger my right to ride than they do to preserve it, but I'm the pariah for pointing it out.

I'll be watching closely how this goes. I care.

Comment

Sorry John, bit I'm calling BS on this.

Some of the basics
      no modification....at all, end of, finito benito.....incl tyres, air filter, exhausts even sprocket sizes.
      only factory approved parts....incl spark plugs and only available to Approved service dealers.. end of home servicing
      on board diognostics recording route, ryding style, speed an emmissions downloadable by the police and insurance companies
      and the scariest
      Most of this is coming from emission control requirements. The rather poorly written whinge above about being able to download "ryding style" etc comes from the requirement to have OBD on the bike. Big deal, that's been on cars for how long? So far I've been driving for what, 30 years, I don't recall ever being pulled over and having a police officer plug his OBD reader into my car's computer, download the fault codes and issue me with a ticket!

As for the 7 year old law, last thing I heard that was still only a French hair-brain proposal.

Many of the proposals under this law already applies to cars. I agree, it's just another piece of EU legislation to be complied with, but I don't see the sky falling. I'm sure it's doing the RAV membership well though. I'm sure that's just a coincidence

Comment

I just want all bikes without a muffler to be pulled over and shot. Is that so much to ask?

(the rider or the bike, I don't really care what one he shoots)

PS: I count a glasspack as a muffler. There is NO reason not to run a glasspack verus straight pipes, except to be annoying as hell.

For the record, I do ride a motorcycle, And only ONCE tryed it without a glasspack while expairmenting with the exhaust and being to lazy to put it back on... I stoped and turned around after 3 minutes, head down in shame over the noise it was making, back to the garage to put it back on.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Tanto,
          I dont think it's BS
          read this - http://www.righttoride.eu/?p=6978

specifically this-
          Article 18 of the proposal covers “Measures regarding modifications to the powertrain of vehicles”.
          1. ‘Powertrain’ means the components and systems of a vehicle that generate power and deliver it to the road surface, including the engine(s), the engine management systems or any other control module, the pollution control devices, the transmission and its control, either a drive shaft or belt drive or chain drive, the differentials, the final drive, and the driven wheel tyre (radius).

2. L-category vehicles shall be equipped with designated measures to prevent tampering of a vehicle’s powertrain, to be laid down in a delegated act by means of a series of technical requirements and specifications with the aim:

(a) to prevent modifications that may prejudice safety, in particular by increasing vehicle performance through tampering with the powertrain in order to increase the maximum torque and/ or power and/or maximum designed vehicle speed as declared by the manufacturer of a vehicle upon type-approval, and/or

(b) to prevent damage to the environment.

3. The Commission shall lay down the specific requirements regarding the measures referred to in paragraph 2 by means of a delegated act adopted in accordance with Articles 76, 77 and 78.

4. After a modification of the powertrain, a vehicle shall comply with the technical requirements of the initial vehicle category and subcategory, or, if applicable, the new vehicle category and subcategory, which were in force when the original vehicle was sold, registered or entered into service, including the latest amendments to the requirements.
          that includes a tyre change so if you buy a bike with dry tyres fitted it becomes an offense to fit wet or snow tyres

It's badly thought out legislation.................... again
          Last edited by jugs; 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM.
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
            I just want all bikes without a muffler to be pulled over and shot. Is that so much to ask?

(the rider or the bike, I don't really care what one he shoots)

PS: I count a glasspack as a muffler. There is NO reason not to run a glasspack verus straight pipes, except to be annoying as hell.

For the record, I do ride a motorcycle, And only ONCE tryed it without a glasspack while expairmenting with the exhaust and being to lazy to put it back on... I stoped and turned around after 3 minutes, head down in shame over the noise it was making, back to the garage to put it back on.
            Not very sporting. Why not shoot them on the wing.

Seriously though, I agree with you about loud pipes.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

John, no I think the proposed legislation is legit, but I just think the reaction is a bit over-the-top. As far as any powertrain modifications, again that already applies to cars in some jurisdictions. I know in at least some areas, and I'm not sure just how far it extends, it's illegal for a car to modified, yes including winter tyres. I have rented cars in Canada for example, middle of winter, yet the cars rented HAD to be sent out with standard tyres. This is not some hearsay or Google search, it's my own first hand experience. The reason is that the insurance company would not cover the insurance if any "modifications" were made to the vehicle So I've had to drive dangerous vehicles unsuitable for the conditions simply to comply with the requirements of the insurance company. An absurdity as you say.

Comment

Again these things are being decided by a much of tiny minded morons.

There is SO much going on in the background here in Ontario that never gets reported in the news media regarding new laws affecting private landowners. - "More and more regulations, restrictions, some of it just downright absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                  Again these things are being decided by a much of tiny minded morons.

There is SO much going on in the background here in Ontario that never gets reported in the news media regarding new laws affecting private landowners. - "More and more regulations, restrictions, some of it just downright absurd.
                  My city is getting sued over its recent (Well, 3 years running) bylaws that violated basic privacy and SANITY and such. All in the name of 'Safty'.. Your safty that is.

Hope they get nailed to the wall.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I say sign this

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/356

there is already a petition there about motor cycles there..

but getting out of the EU will reach 100,000 first...and do more good.

all the best.markj

Comment

I don't know about the UK or the US but it is illegal here to alter the suspension on any vehicle. That doesn't seem to stop anybody from jacking up the pickup for mud bogging and creek fording or raking the forks on a bike. They don't get pulled over unless the police need an excuse. Unenforced laws are the most dangerous.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I don't think this is about emissions, though that will be the excuse, this is about making millions of people buy new bikes. The same idea as our cash for clunkers to try to "stimulate" the economy. Didn't work for us either.

I am correct that across the eurozone, millions of folks ride bikes as their primary transportation?
                        James Kilroy

Comment

I would say so yes but not as many as Asia.

Years ago there was a German MEP who proposed a whole raft of rediculous restriction on bikers. It all came to nothing - lets hope this one does too. Currently there are no restrictions on modifying bikes whatsoever so long as they pas the yearly Ministry of Transort test. There are also no emmissions testing of bikes although many UK models have calylitic converters fitted.

There's also a large industry of manufacturers and suppliers of aftermarket parts that wil go to the wall if these rules get voted in.
                          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Often the law is actually there but it effectively ignored by all. The problem only raises its ugly head if insurance companies try to weasel out of a claim, check the vehicle, find it is non-compliant and refuse coverage. That's why you sign to say that no modifications have been made to the vehicle.

Comment

EVERYONE,,,, Needs to start standing up and fighting all these new regulations,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Our kids and grandkids are not going to be able to do a damned thing, they'll be SO RESTRICTED!!

Comment

Working...
                              X