We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Evidently, they don't need no stinkin OSHA either!

I love the "Can do!", "I have a limited budget.", "I can fabricate that!", attitude though. Check out the shop made independent jaw chuck.

The long sleeves are a nice touch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PnO2...yer_detailpage

Nice FLOPPY, LOOSE sleeves. No safety committee in that shop.

Too bad the guy didn't see Blackforest's thread about parting off with a sawzall. He could probably cut a half second off his cycle time.

But seriously now, the video shows that with a little ingenuity, a person can accomplish tasks without a lot of high $$$$ machinery.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Looks like someone fashioned a wood lathe and duplicator from whatever scraps may have been available that day. Profitable business making chess pieces?

Bravo and keep up the good work.

Comment

Very cool, wonder what he's making?

Comment

I thought the duplicator was clever. Note the hose clamp stop to prevent him from moving the cutter into the chuck.

*thumbsup*

edit - it looks like he was making some sort of game piece. I think if he were making a Staunton-pattern chess set his pattern would have been more recognizable.

Comment

Very "We can get there from here", I really liked the "Collet?" and his centering technique.
            I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
            Scott

Comment

I bet it's harder than he made it look.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                But seriously now, the video shows that with a little ingenuity, a person can accomplish tasks without a lot of high $$$$ machinery.

Brian
                Yeah, and it also demonstrates how a machine dedicated to do one task (even a junk bin concoction) can do it so much more efficiently.

Chris

Comment

Airsmith Espanol?

Can't fault him,he's doing what it takes to make a living in an honest trade.

I give him definite points for the duplicator,pretty ingenious.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Agree with the "making a living" posts...question, from a safety standpoint, is it not better to have the duplicator in front?

Going from my noob experiences, so far, does not one tend to follow what the action of the duplicator is (i.e. your eyes follow, "search" to track, the contact on the sample piece) and so if the sample has the lathe axis/chuck between you and the sample, and you look more closely/lean in...more dangerous? In front you could look and still be away from the spinning stuff.

Comment

Yes, he's making money while others are thinking about it. It takes a creative mind to do things like that. Some day he will wear shorter sleeves if he survives after the accident. Been there and survived and no loose sleeves for me.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

We all know the long sleeves are a no no, but he probably has to use the motor for the lathe as a hand warmer in the winter.

edit: teeshirt + sweatshirt + motorbike = chilly
                        Last edited by Scottike; 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM.
                        I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by RussZHC
                          Agree with the "making a living" posts...question, from a safety standpoint, is it not better to have the duplicator in front?

Going from my noob experiences, so far, does not one tend to follow what the action of the duplicator is (i.e. your eyes follow, "search" to track, the contact on the sample piece) and so if the sample has the lathe axis/chuck between you and the sample, and you look more closely/lean in...more dangerous? In front you could look and still be away from the spinning stuff.
                          This is funny!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                            Airsmith Espanol?
                            LOL!

Can't fault him,he's doing what it takes to make a living in an honest trade.
                            I give him definite points for the duplicator,pretty ingenious.
                            Agree on both accounts, but I winced when he kept reaching over the spinning junkyard 4-jaw chuck, with long sleeves, no less.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Scottike
                              We all know the long sleeves are a no no, but he probably has to use the motor for the lathe as a hand warmer in the winter.
                              They are now.

Lab coats and ties where the norm years ago but things have changed in some parts of the world not so much in others. I bet there isn't an OSHA man telling him that he can't use a paper slip to pick up an edge because his fingers get to close to the rotating cutter.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X