OT: Central Texas is Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Central Texas is Burning

Picture of downtown Austin Yesterday. We haven't had any real rain in nearly a year. A bunch of subdivisions are in flames -- several of my co-workers were evacuated and staying in churches:

Edit: Bastrop has lost 476 homes so far...
    Last edited by lazlo; 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Wow, that really looks bad... Are there any fires close to you?

Here in Dallas it has been dry, but no serious fires I am aware of within 50 miles.

John
    TexasTurnado

Comment

Thanks John -- no, we're fine so far. So is Mike (Mickey_D).
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I hope it wasnt caused by this guy doing doughnuts on main street..

cops didnt even stop him..

Rob

Comment

Robert,

Austin area seems to be hardest hit, but East Texas, where I'm at is not a lot better. We've got several large fires of thousands of acres that were just going where the wind wanted to take them. The winds finally died down over night and that has let the firefighters begin to get them contained. Serious situation for sure.
          Cheers,
          Gary

Comment

It was 51 this morning and I'm thankful the wind laid a bit. Last night, I was sitting next to my shop, watching the smoke from Bastrop, the Canyon Lake park fire and the Stone Oak fire. We have plenty of dry grass around the house so I'm keeping my eye on the horizon.

Weatherman is still saying no moisture in sight - we are turning into a desert...would have gladly taken Irene or Lee, even with flooding.

Comment

Quick! call out the national guard! Oh wait. nevermind, they are busy guarding some other nation. Sorry.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I'm hear in Columbus Colorado County. And the fire hear was about 4 miles from my house. They think they have it contained. But the Black Hawks with the water bags got moved to North Houston. So it is up to the volunteer fire departments to finish off the fire. We went by to survey the damage it was bad. Seen a few burned up homes and live stock. The bad part is the about 3 years ago there was a fire in the same part of the county. You could see the fire coming and there was already burned up trees in it's path. People have rebuilt since then and this happens.

Comment

Well get that mess put out - I'm headed down that way in October! Alla y'all stay safe.

Comment

Man that sucks we got 12-1/2" of rain we really didn't need over the weekend.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                      Quick! call out the national guard! Oh wait. nevermind, they are busy guarding some other nation. Sorry.
                      All the Nat'l guard in the world won't put that fire out.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My grandpa on Mom's side was born in 1902 and raised in Blanco county; he lived in Central and South Texas for his entire life. He often commented that during the early part of the century, fires would start every summer and burn until they either ran out of fuel or were rain extinguished. There was simply no way to put out a big brush fire by hand. He went on to say this was one reason old homesteads usually had no grass around the house (another natural result to running free range chickens). The house my grandmother was born in was built in 1852 near the Pedernales river and always had large pecan trees around it but there were no low hanging branches or grass allowed. Subsequently, it survived many local brush fires and is still occupied today by one of my cousins.

We value our home landscapes and have come to trust modern fire fighting equipment and techniques to save us but eliminating fuel around buildings is better prevention than trying to put it out after it starts. In any case, my heart goes out to all of the fire victims and I pray we get rain soon.
                        Last edited by HWooldridge; 09-06-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

wow, that looks scary. No rain in a year and half? that is drrrrry
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

this worries the hell out of me. Ive never seen it this dry ever. these fires pop up and quickly overpower our small rural undermanned,under equipped volunteer fire departments. when its this dry and windy all you can do is get out the way. we have only had 3 1/2" of rain this year and nothing to bragg about since May 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                              That's OK there are a handful of volunteers that are trying to fight it.
                              Oops that that back FEMA is now involved and they don't want volunteers getting in their way. Of course we know what a great job they did in New Orleans so obviously there is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X