Ebay mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay mystery

Please take a look at the following ebay sale that just ended and tell me what I'm missing. I can find lots of these brand new for less than $10.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260847024495...84.m1438.l2649

Originally posted by DaveR
    Please take a look at the following ebay sale that just ended and tell me what I'm missing. I can find lots of these brand new for less than $10.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260847024495...84.m1438.l2649
    According to the listing it's a rare "Starrett" General gauge.

Comment

I'm not quite sure but the title and pictures don't match the description. Maybe the bidders emailed the seller and the description is correct. Even so, it seems pricey for dividers.

Comment

Well u**h is a shill, for one thing:

But I can't figure out what's going on with the auction. The two highest bidders had 500 feedback -- experienced Ebayers.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

$78.77 plus shipping for a General drill gage? I don't own or need one and I wouldn't pay a buck and a half for a guage of that type blessed by the Virgin Mary. I've got calipers. Imperial, Metric, Keebler Elf bits?, It doesn't matter. I can measure them more accurately and faster. But I sure see what you mean. There's at least two guys that had no idea what they were paying for verses new cost. As soon as I get finished stamping........... Whoops, I meant to say, I found a super rare Volkswagon/Starrett/Ford/Mitutoyo carpenters square in some ancient South American Redneck ruins and it's coming up for auction. Christies auction house should really be handling this as our research has only turned up one in the world.

PT Barnum, "A fool and his money are soon parted" Or something like that.

Pete
          Last edited by uncle pete; 09-09-2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

General is hardware quality stuff,as in sold in hardware stores. That's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              Well u**h is a shill, for one thing:

jeez, could he be anymore obvious - doesn't ebay take a hard line on that sort of crap?
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I think d***n is a shill too, 61% with that seller. How about this other auction from that seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/260842062035 $73 for an old folding ruler?
                Last edited by charlz; 09-09-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Obviously his buddies are bidding up the price.
                  $78 and 14 bids, for a drill gage you can get anywhere for $2.99?
                  HA!
                  If anyone's interested, I have a nice, brand-new, shiny white unused mailing envelope for sale. Only $85.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR
                    Please take a look at the following ebay sale that just ended and tell me what I'm missing.
                    I'd say you are missing your average quotient of gullibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                      Originally Posted by lazlo
                      Well u**h is a shill, for one thing
                      jeez, could he be anymore obvious - doesn't ebay take a hard line on that sort of crap?
                      Shills are good for Ebay's business -- they get a percentage of the final sale price. Smonros (one of Reliable's famous shills) was *way* more obvious than that, but Ebay didn't do anything about it, despite many people (including myself) reporting him.

There was a huge thread on the Ebay SafeHarbor forum about Reliable having a bunch of 100% bidders including Smonros, and Ebay deleted it

There was a guy selling a Tormach here in Austin. A bunch of the Austin metalworking club guys were chatting about it in real life. It sat for most of the auction period, and suddenly there was a flurry of bids from new, 0 feedback buyers at the end . Then, the high bidder retracted his bids after the auction closed. $1500 worth of bids

I reported that to Ebay, and got the standard Ebay form letter "Thank you for contacting us. Many new Ebayers get confused about how the proxy bid process works. We've investigated this auction and found no evidence of shill bidding."

Don't ask, don't tell.
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Ebay is junk! I quit ebay and am happier. I will search ebay much like craigslist. If I can't drive out to get the item I will not buy it. I will for sure not buy anything threw ebay either, strait transaction in person and leave ebay out.
                        Andy

Comment

This looks like money laundering.
                          Not too subtle one at that.

Comment

Rustybolt supplies the most plausible explanation to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
                              Rustybolt supplies the most plausible explanation to me.
                              That's what I was just thinking too!!
                              "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Working...
                              X