shameless gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastik,
    I ran into another question yesterday when I mentioned on another forum about a vertical/horizontal mill also had universal capabilitys. For some reason the term seems to be used less and less. I've never even seen one, All I know is from what I've read about them. It is rare to see equipment that is classed as a universal machine. They were I'd guess much more money and maybe special ordered. After seeing the pictures of your machine it's exactly what I would love to have for size & capabilities.

Pete

Comment

Universal mill

Originally posted by uncle pete
      Plastik,
      I ran into another question yesterday when I mentioned on another forum about a vertical/horizontal mill also had universal capabilitys. For some reason the term seems to be used less and less. I've never even seen one, All I know is from what I've read about them. It is rare to see equipment that is classed as a universal machine. They were I'd guess much more money and maybe special ordered. After seeing the pictures of your machine it's exactly what I would love to have for size & capabilities.

Pete
      Congratulations on your find ,its looks to be in great condition , some have all the luck.

My mill (HM52) is quoted as a universal , it comes with horizontal and vertical spindles , the head tilts and the table can be swivelled slightly , these features were no eztra cost when I purchased it about three years ago .

They have come in handy for repairs to gearbox castings , which have been welded and require mounting areas or bearing cages to be remachined .

Its a bit of an exercise setting everything back to square to do some normal work , but its flexible in how easy it is to set up .
      I have made a couple of jigs or "angle plates" which allow me to repeat setups for jobs which seem to come in from time to time as the gearboxes I mentioned earlier are fitted to a popular make in these parts and the castings are weak in some areas .But a money spinner for me .
      Michael

Comment

Mike4, What or how do you use the swivel on your table? As in for what type of operation?

I have also a universal mill and the table swivels but as of yet I have not figured out what I would use that feature to machine something.

My mill is a Klopp made in Germany and is a very good quality mill. It has ball screws on all axis and servo motors for the power feeds on all axis. It is a manual mill and maybe someday I will convert it to CNC.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Oh, Yeah, nice shaper!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice score Scott...enjoy it

John

Comment

Thank you!
            "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

There is a ton of PDF Shaper files on the NEMES website.

http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/shaper_book_page.htm

On that same page is a ton and a half of info on other machines.
              Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
              http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Thank you also
                "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

Delivered

Now to get it smaller so I can get it into the shop. Came with original sales brochures and bill of sale. 3300$ back in the early 1940's. That translates to a bit over 40k today

Comment

Never Ever come down an incline with the load first. You are lucky you and the shaper weren't hurt. If that is a rigger then he's the one you don't want to hire again.
                    Last edited by tdmidget; 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I cringed too when I saw that picture...it's so counterintuitive that even reckless old me was nervous for you.

Comment

Look closely and I think you will see a winch line attached to the back of the fork lift.

Bob

Comment

That's true, but if you had any hiccup the load is going to want to slide downhill off the forks. Anyway, all's well that ends ditto.

Comment

I completely agree, but it looks like a strap goes around the machine just below the ram and is attached to the forklift. The man is also standing beside the forklift and reaching out to steer.

Bob

Comment

Why go through all that BS instead of doing it right? The winch line indicates to me that he had no brakes on the forklift.

Comment

Chained to forklift, winching load down. Rigger, not me. Brakes off until he was ready to unhook
                                Last edited by plastikosmd; 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X