Aircraft question? Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft question? Ideas?

Our little small town aviation museum has acquired a Hawker Hunter cockpit and nose section mounted for display. Unfortunately at some time water has been allowed into the aircraft and everything in the cockpit is now mouldy and corroded, hardly what we might like on display in our museum.

Most of the instruments are there plus the seats, harnesses etc. (this is a dual control version)

The best idea at this time is to put a de humidifier in there and leave it running for some extended period of time but it will never look the same again in there!

Now my idea is to display this in a darkened environment with some sort of lighting to bring the instruments to life!

So the question is, what colour lighting would get the most effect from the markings on aircraft instruments? White? Red? UV?

Yes, the picture is of a model.
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 09-11-2011, 05:23 AM.

I don't know for sure if this will work, but you might try running a humidifier inside the cockpit filled with a hydrogen peroxide mixture to neutralize the mold/mildew.

If you are going to display it in a subdude light setting...try using green led's.
    It might give it a "spooky" effect.

Comment

The lighting should probably include a UV test to see if the dials are luminescent. Might help keep down the mold, too.

Comment

Panel lighting should be red if you want accurate simulation. That is
        due to less effect on night vision.
        ...lew...

Comment

Dehumidifyer is a good idea to help remove the funk and .. deactivate the mold, but you'll still need something like a low % bleach or peroxide spray to kill the mold and elbow grease to remove it. (Wear a dust mask at the least, perferabley something beefy)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

If you want to have the instruments work(Tachometer, Engine Exhaust Gas Temperature, & Altimeter) you'll need a 28 volt D.C power source as most aircraft use this except for some A.C. requirments.

Possibly a vacuum source too, depending on how the aircraft was configured.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
              The lighting should probably include a UV test to see if the dials are luminescent. Might help keep down the mold, too.
              If the dials are luminescent, you might want to have them checked for radium content, or its decay products.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Even if the dials are not luminescent, you might want to have them checked for radiation. Since my last post, I checked my reference books. Luminous watch hands were painted with a mixture of zinc sulfide and radium. The zinc sulfide breaks down and stops glowing, but the raduim remains.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                  Even if the dials are not luminescent, you might want to have them checked for radiation. Since my last post, I checked my reference books. Luminous watch hands were painted with a mixture of zinc sulfide and radium. The zinc sulfide breaks down and stops glowing, but the raduim remains.
                  ... and if they do contain radium?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanto
                    Then whatever you do, Don't eat them.

... Seriously, thats why they banned radium paint. The people who painted with it would lick thier brushs to 'fine' the tip... And eat the paint in the process.. And then died.

The amount of radiation you get from standing next to a few dials that contain it would'nt matter.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Maybe talk to an auto shop. They have a unit that goes in the window and pumps in a circulates ozone which kills odors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanto
                        I don't know. EPA, Health & Safety, whatever overreacting government goons you have there... Quiet (safe) disposal?

Comment

Radium....again

Just leave the instruments closed up as they are. Radium gives off alpha particles and low level gamma radiation. The lens glass is generally satisfactory to protect you from the radiation.

Comment

Alpha wave don't penetrate very far. A sheet of paper can block most of it. Trouble is when you ingest radium it is in direct contact with your cells and can do it's damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                              I don't know. EPA, Health & Safety, whatever overreacting government goons you have there... Quiet (safe) disposal?
                              Surely you're not serious? This is a historical aircraft display and you're suggesting "disposing" of it should the instruments happen to contain radium! Goodness me, who knows what the heater ducts may have as insulation

The amount of radium the instruments would contain would be minuscule, as others have said, don't eat the stuff and I think you will have more important things to worry about!

Comment

Working...
                              X