Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo: Boring Mill Denver Tramway Co. approx 1910

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

MERCY!!!! look at the size of the drive pullies on that thing! and is that huge thing on top a big counterweight for the main spindle? now that is a piece of heavy metal!

i get a kick out of all the pics you find, Carl.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Sure looks like a combination horizontal, vertical boring mill and slotter or vertical shaper to me. Look at the size of that spanner wrench leaning up against that hoisting arm. Brings back memories of my apprenticeship time in the boring mill department at Hunter's Point shipyard.

Or is that another machine tool just behind it that fooled me into thinking that it was also a horizontal boring mill.

This one gets printed and posted on my shop wall.

[This message has been edited by crypto (edited 01-27-2004).]
      O

Comment

You Git it Crypto. That might be a keyseater. Possibly a combo keyseater boring mill but specialized for rail wheels.

It couldn't be a real boring mill because it has no rail and saddle and thus no range of motion across the table. Note the jib crane built onto the side of the machine.

I wonder it it's a "wheel lathe" which I've heard old RR machinists mention but never seen myself. Look at that monsterous table drive. Wheel lathes were supposted to make the whole wheel start to finish in a single set-up. If that's the case I expect this one has a series of talented boring bars. Some with clever cross-slides built in for dialing out the tool and others with baby clapper boxes on them for cutting key seats. Only Loco drivers were keyed. Truck wheels and bogies were only pressed on.

I see it has a horizontal bar as well. I wonder if that feature has a vertial range of travel - of course it does, but it's not evident from the camera angle.

If it is a wheel lathe where are the features that machined the flange and taper on the OD?

Baffling and frustrating when I can't dope out the details and construction by simple eyeball inference.

This is one of these "gnasher" photos. You grind your teeth because you know you're looking at something ingeniously designed for a special application but you can't quite see how it works.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 01-28-2004).]

Comment

Check out the ring right under the body of the chuck. Maybe indexing ring for locating one key to another. Could also be how the chuck jaws were tightened.
          Frank

Comment

The boring mill in the photo is a specialized tool used to bore the axle hole in the wheels. I'm attaching a photo of a wheel lathe located at Steamtown in Scranton PA. This is the type of lathe used to finish the wheels after they are mounted to the axle.
            THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

That's no keyseater.

They bore and face them, assemble them on the axle, and finish the tire and flange on a wheel lathe.

You know that lathe with two headstocks and carriages.

The wheel in the foreground has the bore only done.

My guess anyway.

mite

Comment

Working...
              X