Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic center punch screw in tips snapping off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic center punch screw in tips snapping off.

It's not like it happens all the time. But now I've got both a Starrett and General unusable with the threaded stub in there. I guess they must have unscrewed a little then fallen on the tip. They're a General #79 & a Starrett 18A. Any clever ideas on how to extract the piece? Since they don't seem to sell parts, I guess my only option is to make, tap and harden the pin and not think about how maybe I should just spend the $30 for a new one and not waste my time.

If they are indeed loose just use a pair of compass points (bow compass) to grab and unscrew the stubs out to where you can get a grip on them.
    If they're tight use a left hand drill bit (If you can get one small enough, 1/8" is the smallest I've found.)
    I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
    Scott

Comment

I had the same problem as you have written. I think you are right..the tip became unscrewed just a bit and a side load was placed on it and snap..it's broken.

I've had great luck with a 1/16 Allen wrench ground to a gentle angle to give you just short of a needle point. I used the point straight down to catch a rough piece of the tip and turn it out with downward and counterclockwise pressure. If there is no rough spot to catch then a small tap on the end of the pointed tool will give you a spot to catch the point on and turn the piece out.

I made replacements and hardened them then put a drop of low strength Loctite on it. These come out readily with a firm grip on pliers but don't come out by themselves.

Comment

Starett sells replacement tips, but I think I paid about $8.00 for one, so they are NO bargain!
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

OT, related to tool though...

Your issue with the tips is perhaps the only thing with the General version I have had that has NOT gone "wrong".

Very, very disappointed with the function of the "automatic" part, works the first attempt maybe 20% of the time...

I am more or less done with automatic center punches, way to exasperating.

Comment

I've tried persuading the stubs out with scribes and such to no avail. But Russ, I've had no problems with these punches as far as missed punches, and I have a 3rd Starrett functioning perfectly. Maybe you got a lemon. The little pencil General #87 version IS a piece of crap however.

Duffy, I assume you don't mean the screw in tip which costs $3-4. Where did you see them? I'd pay $8 to save a $30 tool I use everyday.

Comment

McMaster has the tips.

I went through the same thing just recently.. I had two scribes in the drawer
              one small on "regular" both with broken tip threads I couldn't get out.

I even bought the replaceable tips before I tried to get the broken ones out.

So I was invested, know what I mean?

Anyway, tried everything, finally a wood dowel with the trip sharpened to
              the largest size that would fit in the hole, in a drill, running backwards
              (unscrewing) at high speed, with as much pressure as possible, got
              them right out.

It was a shot in the dark but it worked.
              Screw extractors did nothing.

In my case, I think the heat is what did it.

-Tony

Comment

I can't imagine doing any sort of, even fairly accurate layout, with one
                of those things. an 8 Oz. ball pein and a regular centre punch is the
                answer. Preferably a "Prick" punch first so you can see the cross
                scribed lines. :-)
                ...lew...

Comment

I keep two of the auto centerpunches on the bench for accurate layout work. A light one for the initial "prick punch" and a heavy one for the second punch mark. I find them as accurate as using a hammer and punch and less likely to go amiss due to shifting your attention when striking with the hammer.

It is all a matter of personal preference and what works best for you.
                  Jim H.

Comment

Even if you dont think much of them as layout instruments, if you carry one in your car, they are the fastest way to break a SIDE OR REAR window to get out if you are ever trapped.
                    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                      I can't imagine doing any sort of, even fairly accurate layout, with one
                      of those things. an 8 Oz. ball pein and a regular centre punch is the
                      answer. Preferably a "Prick" punch first so you can see the cross
                      scribed lines. :-)
                      ...lew...
                      I find it works for both, at least in the non-ferrous softer materials I typically use. A soft push for the prick, double check accuracy, then a harder push for the punch. BTW, the latest model of close up visor from Harbor Freight rocks for layout etc. They had an older version that was a POS.

Tony, even before I got to the end of your post I was thinking it was the heat. Worth a try!

Comment

Working...
                      X