No announcement yet.

2" -3 jaw chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For winding jump rings, perhaps a Jacobs chuck will do?

Some of those rings are real tiny, and the arbors are small.

A Jacobs chuck will hold better too.

Are any of the arbors that large, that they require a 2" chuck?

Just a few thoughts, hope they help

Comment

I purchased one of the original unimat chucks and will see how that works.

The unit I am making will do more than wind jump rings. Some of the mandrels will be larger than 1/2" so I don't want to use a drill chuck on this unit. Have made a unit that has a drill chuck that is 3/8" and it does fine for the small jump rings but not for the other size rings and special shapes with special mandrels. One of the things that the machine will do is bend tubing on special mandrels with a follower. Still working on the design for this feature.

I got involved with this by accident trying to help a friend of mine who makes jewelry. There are a lot of things that the jewelry people want to do but don't have the tools to do it with. They spend a lot of time making things that with the proper tooling could be made quickly and easily. I now have two patents for special mandrels and am working on other items. I have made a 4" leaf brake that a jeweler is using to make clasps with and bend other light gauge sheet. It works like a champ and is easy to use, beat using pliers. Only problem is that it takes to long to build so the cost is to high. Some of my product will be introduced at the big show later this month. Will see what happens.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

Joe

Comment

I found my little jewelers chuck at the St. Jacobs Farmer's Market. It's a two inch three jaw, but I only have the jaws that came with it. One think it's keyless, it has a really finely knurled collar for tightening. It was only $3.00.

My suggestion is to check flea markets if you want to be fruggle. I got a jacobs chuck mounted to a MT8 arbor for a Loonie (a buck)

I just keep my eyes open and visit the flea markets and junk stores when I get a chance. I know what I am willing to pay or how much cash I have in my pocket for spending.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

I buy lots of things that I see when the price is really right even if I don't have a need at that time. Many of the items have been used over time and still have a lot of them just laying around.

How would you like to sell the 2" chuck for $4.00 and make a buck. This would give you more money to spend at the flea market next week.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Comment

Joe,
            Let me think about that, but maybe you have something you want to trade. I am always looking for small to medium lathe tools and end mills. If you have anything unique or interesting that also may be a possiblility.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

i'm not from the Great White North, but isn't a Loonie two bucks????
              :-)

i could verify that if i knew what my daughter did with my change from a fishing trip last year.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Andy,
                It's a dollar canadian, then have no folding dollar bills any more. They have a two dollar coin also. It's two Loonies, so quess what it is called?

Jerry

Comment

Andy, they also have a 2 dollar coin. I think some call them Toonies. James

Comment

ahhh, THAT'S what i'm thinking of, the $2 with the silver ring and the penny stuck in the middle.
                    :-)

andy b.
                    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Thats a nickle ring with the penny stuck in it.

Jerry :-)

Comment

Joe,
                        I am going to paste a link to Harbor Freight here. I noticed one in a mag a while back and your post rang a bell. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=4486.
                        Hope this works for you. I don't know what you plan to do with it but HF also has a cute little lathe that has a similar size chuck on it and if I remember right it's quite cheap. Although VERY light duty.

Good Luck,
                        Art
                        <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WJHartson:
                        Where can I purchase a 2" - 3 Jaw chuck. The backing plate is not important as I will have to make one to mount it on the machine I am making. I would like the chuck to have have both inside and outside jaws. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
                        </font>

Comment

Working...
                        X