Well nearly a slotter gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well nearly a slotter gloat

Nearly because no pictures yet, reason is part not delivered yet.

Last week I had to make a new spline to go in the end of a DC motor where the old one had stripped, 12 teeth involute section.
    So hand ground a form tool and ran up three blanks, only 30mm diameter and 45mm long and set the Ravensburg slotter up to do them.

Not too bad a job as the inbuilt rotary table has 24 divisions and a dividing head for weird numbers.
    Problem is all slotters are too low, when I had the Butler than Tim has now I stood it on two pieces of 8" girder and it was still too low. The Ravensburg is the same and it really breaks your back bending and falling forward all the time.

Makes me regret selling the 2 or 3 Bridgeport slotting heads that have been thru my hands at odd times.

So yesterday this guy who has a workshop close to me comes in looking for some linear rail and carriages for a loading jig on a press, he's also in the process of moving to a larger shop.
    I found a second hand rail and two carriages that came off a scrapped machine and the haggling started.

I finished up swapping it for a Beaver slotting head he's had for ages, never fitted and can't be bothered moving it.

So I reckon this fitted to the POS Bridgeport will be idea for small splines with something like a 10" rotary table and leave the Ravensburg for the serious stuff over 3"

Pics to follow later.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Future gloats don't count!

No pictures, it didn't happen.

Comment

(cough, cough) So lemme get this right. That spagetti limber Bridgeport of yours is actully going to be usefull in some limited capacity to you? Man somebody please check the weather forecast in hell.

Pete

Comment

I just got hit in the head by a flying pig.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete
          Man somebody please check the weather forecast in hell.

Pete
          Just tried, but no news is coming out due to extreme cold weather...
          Precision takes time.

Comment

Y.O.D,.RC.
            Good ones.

Maybe the Mayans? were right, The world is going to end next year.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
              Makes me regret selling the 2 or 3 Bridgeport slotting heads that have been thru my hands at odd times.
              Since no one else has, let me quote you on this Bridgeport loving for future fun/teasing and definitely agree that hell has frozen over.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

looks like John has a new toy for his flexible friend

Ps Thank Gert for the gears

Stuart

Comment

Using a POS as a head hanger has got to be cheaper than buying (even second hand ) 20Ft (6 and a bit metres) of 1" x 1" angle to make a propper job.

Regards Ian

Will it fit a Milford?????
                  You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

So the new item in the shop will be known as " The Beaver Slotter"
                    dosen't that conjure up the thoughts! LOL
                    Will

Comment

Sir Johns addition

Have you designed something to stiffen the flexible Bridgy , otherwise the slots will be tapered.(as most are ).

On a more serious note , pics needed asap , both of the slotter and in use .

PLEASE!!!!!!!

Michael

Comment

I could swear when I first glanced at the title it said (well nearly slaughtered a goat!!). But I still would like to see some pix’s too.

Comment

I initially read "slotters are too slow, so I put it up on some 8" girders"

and have been trying to figure out how that makes them faster.

Comment

We used a Bridgeport slotter head to chisel out the throats of wooden planes that we made for the Historic Area in Williamsburg. We made very stout chisels from D2,and thick saws for cutting where the wedges went. The saws(more like broaches) had large teeth,and were 1/4" thick. They cut clean as a whistle with everything held rigidly in the mill. Used without rigidity,they would have been a disaster!

There is a video of Jon and me doing it on the Fine Woodworking web site,but you have to pay to access it,and the other videos there.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                              They cut clean as a whistle with everything held rigidly in the mill. Used without rigidity,they would have been a disaster!
                              So it wasn't a Bridgy ?

Damn just got a broken splined armature in today but it's external, mind you I'm still waiting for the slotter head, they guy is pulled out trying to work and move shop.
                              Daren't rush him, he's massive, ex-bouncer at Mothercare

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X