Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning the shop floor - what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the shop floor - what do you use?

Just looking to see what's worked for you guys. There used to be a powder that when sprinkled on the floor and watered down would turn green like antifreeze and then you would scrub the floor. It worked great for the mechanic bays. Anyone know what that was? I'm going back 20 years now too. It came in a pale and was made for shop floor cleaning. I guess it's no good anymore with all the environmental issues so what do you use that's effective at removing grease and oils and just bringing back some of the concrete under the mess?
    "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

I use E-85.
    Andy

Comment

Don't know what its called, suspect more than one "name", but I'd go looking where they sell those kits for painting garage floors...IIRC, part of the kit (and available separately) are a series of washes (some acid) for prepping the floor...should help some...

Comment

I know one memeber you won't be getting an answer from! He hasn't seen his shop floor in years!

I'll give you a hint. POS bridgeport.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

According to my wife, the best thing for cleaning the workshop floor of oil and swarf are my workboots. They manage to get it all off the workshop floor and bring it into the house and onto the carpet.

Comment

A broom works well, followed by a vacuum.

If I ever decide to try to clean oil etc, one thing is for sure....

I WILL NOT BE USING E85 !!!!!!!

Probably I will use some detergent cleaner, or maybe "purple cleaner".... it won't hurt the concrete, it prevents rust, and it does clean up oil.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

The yellow/green powder concrete cleaner that we used in the auto shop where I worked was called "Hound Dog." It worked great.
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I use sawdust to clean up oil. I have a cheap $99 chinese table saw on the far side of the shop I save all the saw dust from it. I sprinkle saw dust on the floor it soaks up the oil and it seems to suck it right out of the cement floor. If I get oil all over my mill or lathe I sprinkle saw dust on them at the end of the day. Next morning the shop vac sucks off all the saw dust and the oil is gone too. It takes 30 seconds to sprinkle saw dust and about 1 minute to suck it up you can't beat that for quick clean up.

If I run out of saw dust I cut up a few scrap board to make more. About 3 or 4 coffee cups of saw dust is about all I need to clean my mill or lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                  I know one memeber you won't be getting an answer from! He hasn't seen his shop floor in years!

Libellous remarks

I had a sweep up last week, cleaned the benches down and vacuum'd up round the Bridgeport.

Getting a new 16 year old apprentice on Monday, need to start him off right

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Greasy or oily floors are cleaned by brushing kerosene on the oily areas and then putting floor dry on overnight. Then sweeping the floor the next day.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

I use the dog

he used to be white but now has a glossy gray/black coat

nb; cheaper than sawdust
                      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by Metalmelter
                        Just looking to see what's worked for you guys. There used to be a powder that when sprinkled on the floor and watered down would turn green like antifreeze and then you would scrub the floor. It worked great for the mechanic bays. Anyone know what that was?
                        http://www.interstateproducts.com/concrete_cleaners.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest

You make me laugh

73's KB3BFR

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                            The yellow/green powder concrete cleaner that we used in the auto shop where I worked was called "Hound Dog." It worked great.
                            Finally !!!!!! You know how many years I've tried to at least put a name to that stuff? Damn right - it did work very good too!!! All we did was work it in with a stiff bristle floor broom. Then simply hosed it off and used a squeegee after that. Now I need to find if it's around still... Thanks!

edit: it still is: http://www.americanplus5.com/product952.html

73's KB3BFR

Comment

Use Oil Dry from any automotive store. Put it on the grease /oil let it set over night and then rub with a brick or piece of 2X4 then pick it up. Kinda dusty but works good.

Ross
                              GUNS Don't kill people
                              Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Working...
                              X