Flat Belts: Where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Belts: Where to buy?

I've been looking around and cannot find a catalog with prices on line. I was thinking about using a flat belt to drive my filing machine, about 1/6 hp 1/2" width and about 24" in length. None of the industrial suppliers like Enco or MSC have them. Should I just give up and go with the standard V belt? Only want an endless belt, NO splicing. I've had nothing but trouble with the Eagle belting. Always breaks at the splice, and frequently. No particular reason to use flat belt over a v-belt other than I wanted to try it and making the pulleys would be easier.

Ed P

A chart with part numbers,

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3128

A source,

http://www.summitracing.com/

Yes, these are a grooved type of belt, but the pulleys don't have to have the V's.
    Last edited by topct; 09-15-2011, 05:18 PM.
    Gene

Comment

Don't know where you are located but conveyor distributors usually stock it. In addition, the flat belts used on balers to roll round bales works well if you don't try to go too small on the pulleys. That belting can be bought at Tractor Supply.

Comment

McMaster has some, too:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-belts/=e2shvq
        Cheers,

Frank Ford
        HomeShopTech

Comment

For the ORIGINAL flat belt, try Tandy Leathercraft and get either belting strip or a pre-punched belt blank and a tube of leather cement. Bevelling the ends and clamping up an endless bet is not very difficult.
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

there's a place called Hudson Belting (?) in Worcester, Ma. I have been there, but not to buy anything for myself. You'll have to try the yellow pages if it interests you.
            gvasale

Comment

Consider using a serpentine belt from the local auto parts store. I installed one on my SB lathe and after five or six years of use, it is still as good as new. I expect it will outlast me.

They work just fine on the crowned pulleys in place of flat belts.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                Consider using a serpentine belt from the local auto parts store. I installed one on my SB lathe and after five or six years of use, it is still as good as new. I expect it will outlast me.

They work just fine on the crowned pulleys in place of flat belts.
                Do you put the grooved side down, or the hard cloth backing? (although some are almost same material on each side). I assume you probably use the type same on both sides, and use the smooth side.

And, when you go the the auto store, and they ask in bored tones "whatsthemakemodelandengineofthecar?" what do you tell them?

Getting an auto parts store to understand that you want one of a certain size, and not one for a 1997 Mercury XXXX is sometimes fairly hard. I've often gotten "oh we wouldn't have that" as the initial response..... even when I can see it hanging up.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Thanks,
                  Ed P

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                    Do you put the grooved side down, or the hard cloth backing? (although some are almost same material on each side). I assume you probably use the type same on both sides, and use the smooth side.

And, when you go the the auto store, and they ask in bored tones "whatsthemakemodelandengineofthecar?" what do you tell them?

Getting an auto parts store to understand that you want one of a certain size, and not one for a 1997 Mercury XXXX is sometimes fairly hard. I've often gotten "oh we wouldn't have that" as the initial response..... even when I can see it hanging up.
                    I went to a local auto repair shop and picked a serpentine belt out of their trash. When I had my lathe set up the way I wanted it, I cut the belt and wrapped it around the pulleys. I cut it where the belt crossed over the end and laying it on the bench I was able to get a fairly accurate measurement. Looking at the Gatorback chart I posted above and deciding how many grooves were needed to fit the pulleys on my SB9 ( I choose 6) and matched the length to a belt that came very close to the belt I cut up. Then I simply Googled the belt number and found a business that would sell me that belt.

I run mine with the grooves against the pulleys and with very little tension on it compared to what I had to use with the old leather belt, it will only slip if I take a very heavy cut. The Gatorback has cuts at an angle across the v's and I thought it might make some noise. It does not. My little lathe runs so quiet I can hear the cutter removing metal.
                    Gene

Comment

Working...
                    X