Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on threading dies.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-22-2004).]

Yes---I have several of them and they are much better than the "hardware store" variety.

Comment

Most dies made of HSS are decent. It's the carbon steel ones that you have to watch out for, they aren't much good for threading, only cleaning up damaged threads.

But....even with HSS dies you can't expect great results.

Comment

Yes -- it's been my experience that the Travers "house brand" dies are pretty good. No complaints, at all. They generally seem to be made in Poland or other eastern European origin.

Their taps are pretty good too, but lately I've been spending the extra money for Hansen/Whitney taps, which I like a lot.

----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-22-2004).]

Comment

I expect most of the other "name" brands of taps are just as good, but I've been very satisfied with H/W and stick with them, for lack of any reason to change.

I first got "sold" on them when, after some tapping difficulty, I spent what seemed an outrageous amount for a H/W pipe tap. Once I used it, I realized that good taps DO make a difference!
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Speaking of dies, I recently ordered a "made in USA" brand die from MSC because it was on sale. It was so bad I couldn't even run a bolt through it without messing up the threads on the bolt. Probably the one in a thousand that was bad. Didn't want to take the chance of getting another bad one, so I sent it back and had them send me a Cleveland Twist Drill die at double the price (ouch} and it cuts fine.

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X