HSM built engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSM built engine

You guys know I come up with strange ideas pretty much every day, listen to this one.

An engine built by HSM members (Brian inspired). The engine would be shipped around from member to member each building one part. When finished it could be shipped around between members that go to shows and shown off for the forum.

I think it would be fun to watch the thread and see the motor slowly being built by people all over the country.
    Andy

Better yet, post a list of the detail parts, allow members to sign up for the parts they feel are within their capabilities, and that they have the resources for. For instance, if a casting is called for, perhaps a member with that expertise could fulfill that need and even pass the casting on to another member.A lot of the members have special skills and can do certain things better than the rest of us. Bob.

Comment

Home model engine machinist does team builds.

Comment

I don't like being in the spot light. I don't show off my own engines.

And for Facebook....I don't go to the Braggers Page either.

Comment

Well that pretty much settles it then! You can count Gary out.

Phil

Originally posted by gary350
          I don't like being in the spot light. I don't show off my own engines.

And for Facebook....I don't go to the Braggers Page either.

Comment

Gary probably would have f├╝cked up his part anyway. Good thing he bowed out!!!!
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher
              Better yet, post a list of the detail parts, allow members to sign up for the parts they feel are within their capabilities, and that they have the resources for. For instance, if a casting is called for, perhaps a member with that expertise could fulfill that need and even pass the casting on to another member.A lot of the members have special skills and can do certain things better than the rest of us. Bob.

That is a great idea and I kinda thought people should have a chance to pick what they want to do(ish). Because like you mentioned some only have certain tools. But I still believe the motor would have to get shipped to the people so the parts can be finessed and fitted.

Gary your off the hook.
              Andy

Comment

[QUOTE=

Gary your off the hook. [/QUOTE]

No, We are off the hook!
                How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                  No, We are off the hook!

There is international shipping, motor may travel around the world. John can mess it up on his wet noodle.
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                    There is international shipping, motor may travel around the world. John can mess it up on his wet noodle.
                    If you send it to John,make sure the box isn't big enough to plunk a Bridgeport in
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I like this idea. I've never built an engine before so I would find it fascinating to watch. Perhaps if the overall plan is published first those followings along to learn (like me) can build all the parts as it gets built by members and hopefully I would have a working engine in the end. I would volunteer to do a part but would be weary of f-ing it up. That said I'd be in to try if it isn't too complicated.

Comment

Sounds like fun!
                        May want to have someone(s) perform QC on the parts, before sending them on for Assy. or next op.
                        I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                        Scott

Comment

No, We are off the hook!
                          Watch your tires now.

Comment

Bold idea, VPT, and I kinda like it. Better wait though, untill I get the damn thing going!!! Gary, I didn't mean to offend you by posting my plans and what I am doing. Some people like that. All of the parts are actually built "to drawing", but once I get things running perfectly I will post a download link to a complete set of .pdf files to the drawings.---Brian
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

I am sure it would take some conversation and voting but I think we could do it and it would be fun.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X