Rotary broaching - the easy way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary broaching - the easy way

I have developed a tool for rotary broaching that is very simple to make. It also facilitates making the cutters. Further details are here:
    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/rotary-broaching.html
    I hope this will be of interest to other members of this forum.
    Mike

Cleaver! Thank you for sharing the design, Mike. Very interesting and easy to make, indeed.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 09-19-2011, 02:49 PM.
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Nice job Mike. Thanks for posting the link.

Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Pretty slick.

Somebody should make up and sell an Aloris quick change version of this design, I'd buy one, I'm too busy trying to make enough money to keep food in everyone's mouth to build one.

Paul T.

Comment

That's as slick as .. uh ......... grease! Though, I will humbly admit that I didn't get it at first.

Comment

Just had a thought....

This broach belongs in the "Shop Made Tools" sticky!

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39202

Chris

Comment

Thats great work. And as someone with a pillar style tool post I am going to shamelessly rip off your reverse collet style tool post right away. Did you harden your tool post or at least case harden?
              James Kilroy

Comment

Thanks for the post. Very cool setup. I think even I could pull that one off !
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S.
                  Just had a thought....

This broach belongs in the "Shop Made Tools" sticky!

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39202

Chris

It most certainly does! Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
                    Thats great work. And as someone with a pillar style tool post I am going to shamelessly rip off your reverse collet style tool post right away. Did you harden your tool post or at least case harden?
                    The post that I made is unhardened mild steel. It has been in use for more than 5 years and is not showing any significant wear.
                    Mike

Comment

Mike,

Very nice indeed. A simple design that lookseasy to build. Thank you for posting. For those that havenot checked out the rest of the site, there is a lot of other good stuff there as well that looks easy to make, with pretty clear instructions. Worth the look IMHO.

Comment

I do mean this as a compliment but the OP doesn't seem to be a person constrained by conventional thinking. Very nice work on the web site for sure.
                        James Kilroy

Comment

Hi Mike/OP,

Sorry but I don't understand - does the cutter rotate relative to the workpiece when in use, or is it just static and being pushed in?

It sort of looks like the cutter is essentially just a punch which is being pushed into the hole? Or have I got that all wrong?

Cheers,
                          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by loply
                            Hi Mike/OP,

Sorry but I don't understand - does the cutter rotate relative to the workpiece when in use, or is it just static and being pushed in?

It sort of looks like the cutter is essentially just a punch which is being pushed into the hole? Or have I got that all wrong?

Cheers,
                            Rich
                            Hi Rich,

The cutter rotates at the same speed as the workpiece (it has to or it would break the tool). Because the tool is at a slight angle to the axis of the work it chisels one edge at a time into the workpiece as it rotates. This requires much less force than to try to chisel all 6 edges at the same time.

Rotary broaching is a well established technique for cutting polygonal holes. (Google rotary broaching and you will find much information.) Most rotary broaching tools are complex, tailstock mounted and hence expensive. All I have done is to make a very simple tool that performs the same job.

Mike

Comment

Not to be picky.. but your "Hot Wire Cutter" schematic contains an error.
                              http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/hot-wire-cutter.html
                              Neon lamps require a current limiting resistor; unless sold as an integral unit. Perhaps a note to this fact would be apropos.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X