Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who says the Chinese don't get it right ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEJR
    Seriously? What [newer] Harleys do you know that leak that much oil? The oil under the Harley joke is getting old.

Now the joke about Harley being a clothing company is closer to the truth, unfortunately....

China probably regulates you buy new every 11 years so they can promote their own economy selling cheap flimsy scooters on their crappy overpopulated roads.

KEJR
    Good Gawd man, I'm just having some fun with a geezer who believes in the leak bit. I have a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra and a 2007 Street Bob and you wouldn't find enough oil under the both of them together to lub a condom. JUST KIDDING HERE, don't get excited.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
      Good Gawd man, I'm just having some fun with a geezer who believes in the leak bit. I have a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra and a 2007 Street Bob and you wouldn't find enough oil under the both of them together to lub a condom. JUST KIDDING HERE, don't get excited.
      Just a heads up YOD, as the original owner of a '78 HD, this could mean it's time to check your oil level.

All kidding aside, it did originally have some nuisance dribbles a long time ago but after a thorough freshening up about fifteen years ago it is now house trained and the newspaper is no longer needed.

Now it's me that needs new seals.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Good Gawd man, I'm just having some fun with a geezer who believes in the leak bit.
        I used to have a Royal Enfield, their trade make was "Built like a gun " which was quite apt as most of them used to go bang very often.

So one day I'm looking at a tank badge for one and like a lot of Brit bikes it listed the patent number it was built under.
        A search of the patent record confirmed that one number was allocated to the Amoco Cadiz

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
          Like British warm beer and Lucas, smile and live with it.

At least it's proper beer and we did manage to sell Lucas to the Yanks
          Lucas Prince of darkness.....

B.S.A. popular myth was it meant "Birmingham Small Arms" but we soon discovered it actually meant "Bits Stuck Anywhere" they used to go bang too..... B31 rod through the bottom..... C15 rod through the bottom..... SS80 rod through the bottom.... getting boring until the Bantam when the crankpin split...

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
            Just a heads up YOD, as the original owner of a '78 HD, this could mean it's time to check your oil level.

ROFLAMO

John, why do the brits rail on Lucas? My only dealings were I once bought a set of Lucas Flamethrower headlight replacements for my truk that were fantastic. Best light I ever had and would do them again if I could.
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

ROFLAMO

John, why do the brits rail on Lucas? My only dealings were I once bought a set of Lucas Flamethrower headlight replacements for my truk that were fantastic. Best light I ever had and would do them again if I could.
              That is probably because the alternator powering them wasn't Lucas...

bob

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                I used to have a Royal Enfield, their trade make was "Built like a gun " which was quite apt as most of them used to go bang very often.

My super meteor was a Royal Oilfield, used more oil than petrol, used to carry a 1 gallon can of oil.

An example of a British total (dead) loss lubrication system, no problems with rust tho
                John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

ROFLAMO

YOD,
                  Don't really know it was just one of those thing people latched onto, they were no worse or better than anything out there.

What you have to remember though is the Uk is quite a tiny place compared to other countries and quite well populated.
                  Lucas had agents in virtually every town and most filling stations were also agents.

Common or garden stuff like dizzy caps, rotor arms, points were common to many vehicles and the end result was even if it broke it was easy to fix.

Alternatives were Wipac which was cheap and nasty, Miller which wasn't as common and AC Delco which was viewed with suspicion as it was foreign but the truth was it wasn't as popular and understood as the home grown Lucas plus their spares backup was spread very thinly.

Add to this was every supplier was working to a price and corners were cut to satisfy the manufacturers, all they wanted was for it to get thru warranty.

Lucas also made electrical equipment for the armed forces, not the same as the run of the mill parts and this was reliable, but cost wasn't the deciding factor for the MoD.

Long short is that pre solid state everything was suspect as regards reliability, irrespective of maker.
                  More Lucas parts broke because there was more Lucas parts in service.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Lucas

Well, having been a motor mechanic in 70's & 80's working on Jaguars & many other British cars, I can tell you that Lucas contributed to the poor reputation those cars had.

We stocked dashboard switches, window switches, indicator switches, Lucas EFI components etc. etc.

If it had a Lucas part in it - excluding lighting -you had to stock it!

If you didn't stock it, the local Lucas branch in New Zealand could take 3 months to get a part from the U.K.

On the up-side Lucas paid a good portion of my wages!

Comment

Originally posted by crusty
                      Well, having been a motor mechanic in 70's & 80's working on Jaguars & many other British cars, I can tell you that Lucas contributed to the poor reputation those cars had.

We stocked dashboard switches, window switches, indicator switches, Lucas EFI components etc. etc.

If it had a Lucas part in it - excluding lighting -you had to stock it!

If you didn't stock it, the local Lucas branch in New Zealand could take 3 months to get a part from the U.K.

On the up-side Lucas paid a good portion of my wages!
                      Got any old Lucas Flamethrower replacement headlamps? I'd damn near buy another truck to fit them if you did. Living in the country and deer country to boot they made a great light.

Thanks John for the good explanation. I appreciate it. Now go back to the bar, grab your favorite stool, find some sweat soured puppies and cap off the day.

Comment

Where are the "brit bikes" at the racetracks.
                        Where is the "Brit bikes" in world domination of sales?
                        Why do the "brit bikes" not condone a cult following?
                        Ohh, this is not a post about "Dominant British bikes is it?"

Ohh, this is a "post about Chinese Superiority? Laws to remove competitors? Well, then I admit it, All asian people have been working a lot harder to dominate the worlds markets while "defending" their own.

Now go out to the shop and "play" with your Chinese lathe. OR CNC which you wish to sell to others.. and TALK some more about Greatness.

Let's talk about "British engineers in particular" They dominated and ruled the world till when, they became "overly talkative" "Arrogant", and "Lazy?" I mean the British empire of OLD is not the British empire of today is it.

Now Let's talk about "Lazy white people in General".. Not just the arrogant British ones. What has been accomplished in the world and by whom lately. Looks like a Asian domination does it not? who's producing the best steel in the world? the best factories? They've worked real hard for "that" whilst the Lazy white people of the world decided it was cheaper and easier to just sit down and "sell" something to someone else to make a living. White people of the world generally don't "make a thing" anymore.

Seems someone is covering feelings of inadequacy to me. While you are at it? Perhaps you can Learn to "Kou-Tau" (drop to your knees and touch your head to the floor for your "master") Sooner or later by financial means, or military ones YOU, Your children will.

At "that time" you will not be allowed to speak unless asked to.
                        Of course, you can always go to the gun safe and get something out to "defend" your Constitution and Freedom.. OR CAN YOU?

Looks like the Chinese and finally got something "right" huh?
                        If you can't see the truth in the words above, re read them.
                        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Your post above is one of the best examples of socratic irony I've ever seen..

At least I hope thats what you were aiming for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawai

I mean the British empire of OLD is not the British empire of today is it.
                            That's very true.
                            The saying was the sun never sets on the British Empire meaning it was that spread out it was daylight somewhere.

Truth was God never trusted an Englishman in the dark

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy
                              Socrates I know, irony I know, but socratic irony? I had to look that up. Very clever Mr Sleepy.

Comment

Wikipedia is where I found that.. validity? who knows?
                                Socratic irony

This is "The dissimulation of ignorance practised by Socrates as a means of confuting an adversary".[21] Socrates would pretend to be ignorant of the topic under discussion, in order to draw out the inherent nonsense in the arguments of his interlocutors. Chambers dictionary has: "a means by which a questioner pretends to know less than a respondent, when actually he knows more."
                                Zoe Williams of The Guardian wrote: "The technique [of Socratic irony], demonstrated in the Platonic dialogues, was to pretend ignorance and, more sneakily, to feign credence in your opponent's power of thought, in order to tie him in knots."[20]
                                A more modern example of Socratic irony can be seen on the 1970s American television show, Columbo. The fictional character, Lt. Columbo, is seemingly naïve and incompetent. His untidy appearance adds to this fumbling illusion. As a result, he is underestimated by the suspects in murder cases he is investigating. With their guard down and their false sense of confidence, Lt. Columbo is able to solve the cases leaving the murderers feeling duped and outwitted.

At least I hope thats what you were aiming for.
                                Actually to speak the truth, unafraid of what others might think. If any of what I posted is wrong, pm me and convince me of otherwise.

THIS POST, as Many others here was just "bait and controversy". Setting someone up for a long drawn out argument. China-bashing will be the next vocalization made probably. American bashing is allright?

I today have worked six hours already in my shop. I have accomplished productive things there. (it's 10:25am here) It'll be time for a nap here in a bit.
                                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                                X