Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who says the Chinese don't get it right ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who says the Chinese don't get it right ?

Bloomberg News,

Harley-Davidson in China Faces Two-Wheel Entry Barrier: Cars
    Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- China’s population is almost 2,300 times greater than that of Milwaukee, where Harley-Davidson Inc. is based. The motorcycle maker still has more customers in its hometown.
    About 100 cities in China, including Beijing and Shanghai, have restrictions that include banning two-wheel vehicles from elevated highways and major thoroughfares to curb noise and thefts, according to the state-affiliated Society of Automotive Engineers of China. That has stymied Harley’s growth in the world’s most populous nation.
    “Regulations are a pain,” said Shanghai businessman Calvin Chen, who owns a $50,000 Harley V-Rod Muscle. “There are many roads you can’t ride on, and the rules differ from place to place.”
    Harley is lobbying the Chinese and American governments to ease those laws in an effort to increase sales by as much as 40 percent a year through 2016, said Sean Jiang, its managing director for China. The biggest U.S. motorcycle manufacturer is quadrupling its number of dealerships and supporting riding clubs to capitalize on a luxury-car market that J.D. Power & Associates said will grow by about 35 percent this year.
    “Any investment in China without addressing the regulatory requirements will be a castle built on sand,” said Jiang, who is based in Shanghai. “We need to be proactive in engaging with the government.”
    BMW, Audi
    The laws treat motorcycles the same as scooters and motorized bicycles, even though some Harleys have bigger engines than cars and may cost more because of import duties that can add 30 percent to the sticker price before consumption and value-added taxes. They also have to be scrapped after 11 years, Jiang said.

Now why can't we have the same laws here ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

11 years? Whoever wrote that law up must be a harley lover. thats way too long.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

whats this motorcyle business? I thought Harley Davidson was a line of clothing

Comment

Oh .... I was planning to go on holiday there this year .

Comment

Just about nothing surprises me anymore!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
            11 years? Whoever wrote that law up must be a harley lover. thats way too long.
            They are definitely NOT a harley lover!
            That means owning a knuckle, pan, or shovel head is out of the question, unless it's a museum piece.

edit Or even an early evo.
            by the way - nice outfit Mr. Sleepy!
            I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy

Holy crap balls....what am I looking at??!!

John

Comment

Good heavens...the Angels have moved HQ from Oakland to Frisco!
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Why?????????????? or better yet WTF is that thing?

Never mind I probably don't want to know. And some people think illeagal drugs are harmless? That's gotta be photoshopped by a really sick person. NOBODY in their right mind would really do that right?

Pete
                  Last edited by uncle pete; 09-20-2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

John wishes that England would put that scrapping law into effect in England including Bridgeports!
                    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                      John wishes that England would put that scrapping law into effect in England including Bridgeports!
                      Wow, what a good idea but instead of allowing £1000 against a new one I want them to install a new one over a weekend so I don't loose any downtime.

Anyway might be getting closer because the big TOS lathe that's blocking everything may be given away in the near future if I can convince the guy that he's responsible for moving it out.

Then the Bridgy move can be down to a day.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I get the sneakin feeling the most bellicose, braggart, bar bully, beer swilling biker would think a tasteful mancave where the drapes matched the sofa cushions would be to die for.

Comment

Way to go, I like it, want to swap a Bridgeport for it ?

Looks to be a genuine works one ? Mind you they are all genuine works ones

Comment

It will take me awhile but you got one coming your way Sir John!

Posting this article with this line...“Any investment in China without addressing the regulatory requirements will be a castle built on sand,” said Jiang, who is based in Shanghai. “We need to be proactive in engaging with the government.” ... is hitting below the belt

Now I expect my 900 pound Electra Glide will be reduced to 400 pounds and the tires will rot off every two years when HD gets a tow hold in that bastion of craftsmanship known as China. Hell they'll have to put diapers on them to catch the oil. At nearly twice the price of Japanese bikes in this country I can see the need ( ) for such a move, got to keep the bikes making as much money as the HD t-shirt logo licensing division and next to OBama and his license to print money is the next biggest money maker in this country.

When you next grace the bar and bend an elbow to slurp down your suds I want you to remember that you've ruined my day. I hope you fall off your damn bar perch and some short fat bar maid hits you in the face with humongous sweat soured hooters as she bends over to help you up. Would serve you right.
                            Last edited by Your Old Dog; 09-20-2011, 09:18 AM.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                              I hope you fall off your damn bar perch and some short fat bar maid hits you in the face with humongous sweat soured hooters as she bends over to help you up.

Is that one of those irish blessings?

The chinese are getting worse and worse - they simply don't play fair - Im really trying to buy USA any chance I get.
                              I just put a new muffler on my old honda and it's made in USA --- score! Thrush turbo's are still made in the good ole USA...

Comment

Working...
                              X