No announcement yet.

Security Alarm System for my Workshop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Alarm System for my Workshop.

We have a thief in the neighborhood. He stalks houses during the day and breaks in at night. He has almost been caught several times during the past 9 months. He is a very skinny young black guy about 6" tall with dreadlocks down to his shoulders. I saw him again yesterday standing in the middle of the street looking at the house. I called 911 and the woman told me to call another number. I was trying to find a pencil and the woman had me on hold. I walked outside the guy saw me on the phone and ran. There is a 6 ft all wooded fence at the end of the dead end street the black guy jumped over that fence like it was nothing and he was gone. If I thought that guy would jump that fence again I would put several punji sticks on the other side of the fence.

I put a motion detector light inside the shop. I rewired the light so it turns on several bright lights, a very loud fire alarm buzzer and a school play ground bell. When I leave the shop I turn the security system on. If anyone goes in there the motion detector turns on all the lights, bell and buzzer that should scare the thief away. I bought a night vision camera plug and play to any TV with sound if the alarm goes off when I am asleep the TV next to my bed will wake me up. I can see and hear everything in the shop. Its a $29 camera on sale at Harbor Freight. I also hammered about 100 nails in a 12"x24" board then I attached that board inside both window sills with all the nails pointing up. I sharpened all the nails like an ice picks on the belt sander. A thief will have a hard time crawling across that.

I bought a 4 camera security system off ebay for $140 its a $300 system. I also put up 7 motion detector lights outside around the house and shop.

The neighbor woman has gone totally berzerk over my security cameras she does not light them looking at her so she called the police on me. Police said I have the right to put up cameras so the woman put up 4 large spot lights pointed at my bedroom window she is trying to blind my camera. I think the crazy woman is doing me a favor all that FREE light after dark will surely keep someone from lurking about after night.

The thief has been known to take what he can carry and run. Lap top computers, cash, gold, X-Box small things with high $$$ value.

Last edited by ; 09-20-2011, 10:04 PM.

I'd move if I were you, good luck.

Comment

Gary, you are a big boy, and you can do what you want, but if I were you I would not publicly post about booby traps, you could end up in serious trouble with the law, even if it is a thief that gets injured.
      James

Comment

Originally posted by J. Randall
        Gary, you are a big boy, and you can do what you want, but if I were you I would not publicly post about booby traps, you could end up in serious trouble with the law, even if it is a thief that gets injured.
        James
        TN State Law changed a few years ago. The police said I can do anything I want to the guy except booby traps. A booby trap is a hidden device that is triggered by the thief. 100 nails in the window sill in plain sight is not a booby trap. I won't do punji sticks the wrong person could get in that but I sure would like to do that to the thief.

Comment

......guy about 6" tall......
          Well, the apparent silver lining here is that there isn't probably a lot this guy can carry off.

Comment

Security

Consider the pointed nails as being a deterrent to stop birds roosting. I would openly carry around a shotgun.

I physically restrained a party that broke into my house and our bastard DA would not prosecute him as he did not take anything and plea bargained out on several other robberies. The next time there will be only my story of the incident.

JRW

Comment

Originally posted by gary350

I also hammered about 100 nails in a 12"x24" board then I nailed that board inside both window sills with all the nails pointing up. I sharpened all the nails like an ice picks on the belt sander. A thief will have a hard time crawling across that.
              Hmm... I wonder what he will do with your, er... I mean his shop when the lawyers get done with the case.

Unless you are using them to hold prints and such. He may well end up owning your shop and your house as well.

Setting traps or entrapment is a no, no. At least in the State I live in.

I see that you answered my post before I hit the post button. I wish the laws here would change like in TN.

Good luck.
              Last edited by huntinguy; 09-20-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Does the guy think you are crazy yet???? When we first moved into this shop, we had somebody come over the fence, that was probably just a hobo looking for a place to sleep.

One night when I was here when we first moved here, I had everything shut down, doors closed, lights off, my truck was out back, I was spending the night. Somebody tried coming through the front door. That lasted about 1/2 second until my dogs (who aren't particularly well trained,) went ballistic.

Everybody around here thinks we are bat **** nut crazy. They leave us alone. I'll stay here at the shop overnight, doors open, gate unlocked, and never think twice.

Burglars are cowards. Screw them up, if your doors are open and your lights are on, they aren't going to rob you. Cycle your vehicles in the parking lot and leave it open a lot. A bit of target practice out back, word gets around.

We also support our local "handyman" type people. They tend to know everybody and will keep an eye out for your place and divert bull**** from your place.

I've lost so much stuff to thieves over the past 8 years, I have no tolerance. None.... When I hear thief, I think fertilizer. Shoot, shovel, shutup.

Comment

Do some yardwork... With the biggest machette you can find.

Or maybe next time hes prawling around and you got a friend over, Remark loudly how you used to like headshoting running squirrels/rats with your pistol, And how you wish you had some target pratice like that 'out in the city'
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

For $29/delv on Ebay you can buy a tiny devise that takes a cell phone card & calls you when it hears a noise & you can hear or you can call it anytime & listen. This way you can call the cops & they catch him red handed in the shop while your outside making sure he doesn't leave or to ID the car etc without anyone getting hurt. We have a law in Michigan that if you feel your life is in danger you can use deadly force if he's armed or not, but if you can solve it without bloodshed or further hassle why not?

Comment

Traps

Traps are also a big no no here. A faulty power lead left on and on the steel work bench with a bit of scrap resting on the tool box etc from the bench it is just a bit of misfortune had to stop this practice as the work shop is steel and be came live on couple of occasions makes opening the door a bit of a challenge to turn the power off

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                        For $29/delv on Ebay you can buy a tiny devise that takes a cell phone card & calls you when it hears a noise & you can hear or you can call it anytime & listen. This way you can call the cops & they catch him red handed in the shop while your outside making sure he doesn't leave or to ID the car etc without anyone getting hurt. We have a law in Michigan that if you feel your life is in danger you can use deadly force if he's armed or not, but if you can solve it without bloodshed or further hassle why not?
                        What is that $29/delv called, do you have a link to that? I would like to check that out I might want to buy one of those.

This is the security camera I bought. It is plug and play to any TV. It has night vision and excellent sound. If I turn the sound up on the TV I can hear people talking 200 ft away. Northern Tool sells these for $39 they are on sale for $29. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380366553130...84.m1423.l2649

This is the 4 camera system I bought. It has night vision too. Northern tool sells these for $300. This system records to a computer hard drive. It records for about a week or so then starts recording over. It continiously records so you just turn it on and don't worry with it. If someone breaks in it will be saved to the hard drive. After I bought this I found a different seller on ebay that listes them for sale $99 each. It has lots of options, split screen with all 4 cameras in view at the same time or you can set it to show each camera full screen for a couple seconds each. If you use a LARGE 40" TV the split screen is great each camera pic is 20" each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120773676552...84.m1435.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by gary350

This is the 4 camera system I bought. It has night vision too. ...
                          I got "relieved" of my hand held power tools back in Jan and installed a 8 Camera DVR system like that.

I am thinking of putting a monitor in the garage and a sign that says:

"SMILE - If you can see yourself then this video has already been uploaded to YouTube. Have a nice day A**-wipe"

(or something to that effect )

Comment

Comment

you want the impossible to remove dna coded luminous dye.

i dont joke ..there is such a thing.

http://www.adi-gardiner.co.uk/Reb%20...dbenefits.html

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                              X