Security Alarm System for my Workshop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gary350
    If I defend myself with a chainsaw and cut the thievs arms off what will the DA think about that.

Another Texas chainsaw massicur?

Comment

I think if you kill somebody with a chainsaw, that makes you an axe murderer. Lizzy Borden style, she would have used a chainsaw if they had internal combustion motors back then.

One bit of our security system is the guy that lives across the street, older guy, an American Indian (he must think I'm an illegal). He knows everybody here, does odd jobs, waters trees, weeds, spreads gravel. We give him our cans and the occasional odd piece of scrap. Hire him to do the odd job occasionally, pay him well.

He keeps an eye out, kind of nice. Good neighbors are handy.

Comment

All you really need is a photo eye that sends an infared beam across your shop, and bounces it back to the head unit with a reflector. If anything breaks the beam, the head unit closes/opens a set of contacts. The head unit can then be used to set off alarms, lights, small thermonuclear devices, etc. I've used some from Radio Shack for years.
        Once a thief knows you have an alarm, he probably won't be back.
        Last edited by Bill736; 09-24-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist
          Isn't it interesting how someone breaking the law seems to be afforded more rights then a law-biding person who is trying to protect his property?
          To me, it would make perfect sense to have a law which says the when some decides to go "out side of the laws" or become an out-law, they automatically forfit any rights that had while under the law. Once they chose to be an out-law, the laws no longer applied to them and they have lost any rights they had. The decision is theirs to make - adibe by the laws or have no rights.
          Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Your thinking about old English law (very old) were a person could be declared "outlaw" and then could be killed on site by anyone.

You had to be declared an "outlaw" before it took affect not just because you broke then law.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by gary350
              TN law says if you think your life is in danger you can do anything to defend yourself. If I defend myself with a chainsaw and cut the thievs arms off what will the DA think about that.

A few years back and I don't remember were it was a man was lost and a bit hysterical and he went to a door of a house for help. He couldn't speak English very well and the homeowner though he was a crazy person and was a danger.

Bang Bang he's dead.

Now what. The man thought he was in danger and another innocent man is dead. If it was in Tennessee does that make it all right.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I thought of a funny idea for a security system that would work great. Mount a flat belt conveyor in the 24" window. Conveyor needs to be 24" x 24" designed to move about 15 ft per second. When someone crawls through the window it triggers the ON switch and the conveyor launched the thief out the window then it turns OFF. If the thief keeps trying to get in again the conveyor keeps launching him OUT. LOL

Same thing at the door entrance a flat belt conveyor about 15 ft long moving at 30 ft per second. No one could run fast enough to run across that conveyor it would launch their legs out from under them and they would slam face down onto the converyor then be launched out the door into the parking lot. LOL.

Those guys from the JACK ASS show need to do this and get it on video. LOL.

Last edited by ; 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

My storage shed had 3/4 in. bars for the windows and auxiliary doors. The main door is heavily spring loaded. You need a key to go in and out. The backing of the door is an 1/8 plate, with welded tubing to protect the keylock.

Comment

Gary I know you are trying to be humorous here and that is a comical thought, the really funny part is that some of those igits would try several times before giving up! On a more serious note, ANY type of unattended device that could cause indiscriminate bodily harm is considered a booby trap and would incur liabilities in case of injury no matter if the person is entering illegally or not, it does not have to be covered up or triggered as long as the intent is to cause harm. The odd part is there is no law forbidding you to do something like that nails-in-the-board window guard UNTIL someone is injured then it's your arse that's in the wringer. Don't believe me? Ask an attorney. As far as that chain saw scenario that would depend entirely on the DA's interpretation of what happened and whether or not you were defending yourself or taking revenge, no situation that involves deadly force is spelled out in black and white about what you can and can't do, basically you can do whatever you need to protect yourself but if the circumstances are that you went farther and took revenge then you could be in a world of hurt! Tn laws absolutely do not say you can do anything you want to someone, the Castle law gives you the right to defend yourself in any place you are legally occupying, it does not give you the right to do anything you want to someone. There is a big difference between self defense and "getting even" and while a macho attitude may make us feel better it can land a person in a lot of trouble with the law if we aren't careful.

Comment

Working...
                    X