OT? - Just how short is your fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT? - Just how short is your fuse?

I know we all get pi$$ed-off in the shop from time-to-time (daily??? )
    But how short is your fuse?
    Certain things set me off, QUICKLY.
    Other things, I let roll off my back.

I thought this might make for an interesting thread.

While working in the shop, machining... I'm calm, mellow, patient, whistling-while-I-work, I love it.
    Repairing my machines, I enjoy it.
    I Love doing yardwork.
    Don't mind electrical work, Carpentry, painting.
    BUT..
    Certain things just set me off:
    Computer lock-ups drive me into an instant rage. I'm ready to smash the keyboard.
    Trying to purchase things online, only to have all of your typed-info vanish at checkout.... GGRRRRR......STUPID INTERNET !!!!
    Plumbing.... LOOK OUT!! Monkey wrench will be flying across the room!!!
    Busting my knuckles while working on a car... Forget it, there'll be $1000 worth of extra damage after I smash-up the engine.
    Electronic gizmos go on the fritz, I throw them across the room, and they smash into a zillion pieces.
    Maybe I should learn to control my temper.... or just stay in the shop longer, where I'm in my element.
    What sets you guys off?

Tax software. Haggling over money. Actually, anything to do with money-that's why I don't have any.

Comment

Bridgeports...................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'll play...
        A few months back I had a part out of 316 stainless, the material
        cost me $420 and I had a little over 15 hours of manual machine time
        in it. Only a few details left to go and a customer expecting it real
        soon. Was tired and managed to screw up a flange depth in z axis
        on my Bridgeport by .100......people in other towns may have
        heard me swearing, snot may have shot out my nose, might
        have actually cried. Had to go outside and just sit for a bit, then
        came back in and ordered another hunk of 316.
        These kinds of things will REALLY piss me off.
        Dave

Comment

In the shop I don't have a problem...most of the time. When I worked every day as a mechanic, my boss trying to micro-manage things he knew nothing about was frustrating...But, I figured out an amusing way to counter that annoyance...I did EXACTLY what he told me to, which usually ended in disaster. And then I would remind him that I was doing EXACTLY what he wanted...and had he let me do it MY WAY there would be no problem. Eventually he spent more and more time in his office, organizing bass tournaments (on the County's dime).

I'm retired now, so I don't have that frustration. Very little in my workshop tends to bother me...'cept maybe for those dim-witted monkeys who drive by twenty times a day with their stereos blasting. They must be drug dealers or still living at home with their parents....When I was working I never had time to drive up and down the same street for hours every day. And I never had the cash to buy as much gas as they burn up driving around in circles, all day. I'll have the last laugh, though, when they're deaf as a post, and I can still hear.
          "Measure twice, and cut once"....Sometimes you can't get a break, no matter how you try. There's always that last piece of stock that I measure wrong, cut and have to postpone the project until I can go to the metal supplier for more stock...(my metal supplier is only 250 miles away, one way)... Yes, there are local metal supply places. If you're interested in four sizes of quality rebar, diamond plate in aluminum or steel, and black iron pipe. No matter how frustrating things get in my shop, I know I can close the door, and go inside for a cold drink and put my feet up.
          No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Putting an angle plate down next to one of the mills yesterday. Smashed my head into the controller. Nice big bloody gash and a goose egg.

I hit the damn controller box twice, until I realized that my head AND my hand hurt. I usually only snap when I get hurt.

My tolerance for people is much much larger. Then again, nobody has hit me in the head that hard since elementary school(except for other random assorted things I've smashed my head, hands, legs, arms and feet into), and they got a wumpin' until my hand hurt.

My fuse is pretty long, I just expect people to be stupid. Makes life easier that way. If I'm the only customer in the bank, making a simple deposit, I budget 20 minutes. I usually leave happy. Though not always, apparently a simple deposit can be a difficult thing for a retarded person.

Comment

there's a question ..

why does your head swell up like a goose egg when you bump it ..and not any other part of the body like that

all the best.markj

Comment

apparently a simple deposit can be a difficult thing for a retarded person.
                HAHAHAHAHAHa....
                Oh damn,
                I forgot about the old bank deposit.
                One of my steady customer writes me a check every week when I deliver his parts.
                3 years now, NEVER bounced a check, NEVER insufficient funds.
                But..... EVERY WEEK, the SAME lady behind the counter has to pick up the phone, and call her supervisor, to figure out how to deposit my check.
                GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........
                WHY?? What's happening????
                it's not like I'm trying to cash a $20,000 check!!!!!! SHEESH.

Comment

Damn, you guys need to get some meds!, punching a milling machine, now that i would have liked to see on youtube!, you would have millions of hits!
                  I used to get really stressed when i was young, it never did any good, door and fist syndrome, lol. 3 heart attacks cooled me down!, i still get a little pissed from time to time but dont know why? just irritated, reckon most of us need to take a good look at our diets or somthing, stay calm, live long! i hope
                  mark

Comment

I can generally keep cool about everything even the occasional Galactically stupid customer I encounter.

The thing that really sets me off is dropping a tray of bolts or fittings on the floor.Did that last week,dropped two 5lb boxes of cotter keys on the floor.I was so pissed I nearly picked the whole shelf unit up and pitched it out a plate glass window.\

Then some Dumb Motherf---er asked me"what happend,you drop something?" that's when the fight started
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

KIDD: How do you think the b***dy supervisor feels ?
                      g
                      I had a bad day on Tuesday. I was off to listen to some fools at my younger daughter's school blether on. Now I've just helped my eldest though her exams and sent her off to Uni, so hearing people who teach people four years younger expecting me to be impressed by their patronising attitude didn't help.

So apparently I was a bit short with one of them. Came out to the car, and there's a bicyclist maintaining I almost ran him down on my way in. I'd thought 'idiot' when he shouted at me when I gave him SLIGHTLY less room than I normally do - I'm a cyclist too, note - but here he was harangueing me - and waiting for me !

I should have let it go, but I tried to convince him he was the fool. Ten minutes of argueing and I finally said I'd had enough and drove off.

It's affected my whole week - let's say it's put a damper on it.

So that was two sort of blown fuses in one evening - nothing too serious, no damage. The first would have been better if I'd said nothing, and the second if I'd just said 'OK, you're right, now leave it at that.'

I wonder if posting this will make me feel better about it, or WORSE!!
                      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
                        Very little in my workshop tends to bother me...'cept maybe for those dim-witted monkeys who drive by twenty times a day with their stereos blasting.
                        Yeah, that's the trigger!! When I hear "RAP CRAP" in my neighborhood I get an overwhelming desire to clean my guns and do ammunition inventory!

FYI: Watching to much "Hard Core Pawn", on the "True TV" channel doesn't help my disposition either. So, I change the channel and watch COPS.

Chris

Comment

I've learned to calm down. I used to fly off the handle all the time but have learned it doesn't help anything. Staying calm and working things out and not being surprised by anything really helps for working threw problems and getting the job done. Sure now and then I'll cuss about breaking off a drill bit in a exhaust manifold or when I see the brake line I just replaced last year is rusted out already. But it doesn't get the job done.

Having three kids helps you learn to take things as they come.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S.
                            Yeah, that's the trigger!! When I hear "RAP CRAP" in my neighborhood I get an overwhelming desire to clean my guns and do ammunition inventory!

FYI: Watching to much "Hard Core Pawn", on the "True TV" channel doesn't help my disposition either. So, I change the channel and watch COPS.

Chris
                            Why do most of the reality shows have to have people with attitudes?
                            Does the audience enjoy this?
                            I don't.

Comment

I really thought nothing bothered me much anymore until I pulled up next to a car recently. In the back seat was 2 little girls, probably 2 or 3 years old, with nothing holding them in. Not even a seat belt. To make matters worse mom was sitting in the driver's seat smoking and the entire car was so full of smoke you could hardly see across the seats. I stopped a few blocks further on and told a cop but I doubt anything came of it. That little girls face is going to haunt me. Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X