Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing to do the break-in on the Bolton lathe ... suggestions please. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing to do the break-in on the Bolton lathe ... suggestions please. :)

Hello all. Ok, you guys did a great job of helping me out on the Mill break in a few months ago. I followed everyone's suggestions to the T and I got that done just fine .. thanks again.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=47398

Now we're doing the lathe. A brand new 12x24 Bolton unit that's been sitting in our shop since last yewar unused. (ugh .. life!) I still have plenty of the hydraulic fluid that I used on the Mill, you guys told me before that oil would work fine with the lathe as well, so I'm good there.

Stupid question ... what exactly do I use to oil the oiling points on the machine? Those little spring loaded balls that are all over it .... those things. The manual is useless as far as frequency of attention in those spots, as well as what type of tool/oiler does one use to work with those little lube points, and what type of lube for that matter! It's not an issue, I man you kinda have to expect this sortof thing with MIC stuff.

Keep in mind my forte has been welding/fab of space frames. I'm not a dummy, just ignorant. And that is something that is easily fixed.

So if I can get a little help here, I can do the break in and then I'll post the results just like I did with the mill. For no other reason than posterity, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Brian ...
    I make messes.

I believe lowe's or home depot sells oilers that you can use on the spring loaded ball type lubricating points. I have a few that I use on my lathe, I sprayed them different colors so's I would not mix the different oils. Frank

Comment

40 views .. one reply. Ok.

Thanks for the info, as well as taking time to reply, Frank.

Now then, anything on which oils go where? A link to some education? Something?

I'll go the fek away and stop being a bug-me if I can just get a direction or two. I promise!!
      I make messes.

Comment

Oil

I would just use way lube for all the oiler points. Some probably go to the ways, some to the end of shafts, etc. It shouldn't be too picky for that application.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Oil for lathes has been discussed a gazillion times on this forum. It almost always ends in a fight. People probably feel they are being asked if they want to fight.

You will get answers ranging from "any oil will do" to "you must use the latest high tech oil developed by NASA or your lathe will be dead in a week". Me, I use ISO32 because that is what the manufacturer recommended. It was built by a top quality German manufacturer so if it was good enough for them then it's good enough for me. Frequency depends on what. Recommended frequency on my lathe, in a production environment, ranged from continuous feed, every 4 hours, once a week, once a month, once every three months, check once a year, IIRC.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
            I would just use way lube for all the oiler points. Some probably go to the ways, some to the end of shafts, etc. It shouldn't be too picky for that application.
            And way oiler lube would be .... ????? (Yes, I am that stupid).

C'mon guys ... I'm trying to fly blind here. No info AT ALL in the manual. You Tube draws a blank too.

God I hate to say this .. but talk to me like I'm 10 (try to be nice). I need to know what the oiling tool is, what type of oil to use (be a bit more specific please), frequency of service as well. So far this makes as much sense as servicing the Turbo Encabulator.

(no You Tube embed function here either? Wow only FOUR images including smileys per post and no You Tube embed function either? And this is a TECHNICAL FORUM? Wow .. welcome to 2004 Why isn't this addressed here???? Mods? Hellooooooooooo..........).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVY5teBzlg
            Last edited by Farndurk; 09-23-2011, 03:33 AM.
            I make messes.

Comment

You can just google "way oil", or look in the Enco catalog, or even attempt ot use the worthless search function on this site for prior threads on the same topics.

Oh... Vactra 2 is a common way oil. Squirt often enough so it stays lubed.

Comment

Ok ... here's the manual ...

http://www.indresinc.com/Assets/MANU...01-EMD.pdf.pdf

Page 22 is all they give you. "Use 20# machine oil to lube the places in the table". So there's a schedule, but what is "20# machine oil". 20wt? 20wt what?

It's crazy that this stuff is taken for granted. It's just a $2k piece of equipment .. no biggie. Geez, you'd think the factory would have a bit more on this .... guess I can call Bolton again.

Just trying to take care of my lathe.

And any help on the breakin procedure? Like something/anything unpublished such as "do all the fwd gears first" or some such cool wisdom that might be helpful?
                I make messes.

Comment

They mean 20wt or 20SAE. Commonly ISO 32-46. Machine oil is usualy "non-detergent" and isn't engine oil. Will your lathe freak out if you use engine oil for the ways etc? nope...

Use way oil, Vactra 2 or whatever.

Just use the lathe normally to "break it in". Avoid extended high speed operation for the first few hours. Keep and eye (hand) on the spindle bearing temperature. If it has headstock/gearbox oil - change that after a few hours. My lathe is a lot more of a machine, and has a detailed 300 hour break-in schedule, but all that really means is not to use it more then 70% of it rated max speed until that period is up. I wonder if anyone ever took any notice of that?
                  Last edited by lakeside53; 09-23-2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

I got an oiler with my lathe. It's a hand pumped thing which has a tapered end on it which is supposed to make a seal against the oil points and depress the ball to allow oil to flow into it. I never know if I get oil into them or not, but I do know oil gets all over the place. I would not use way oil for the spindle bearings, but it's good everywhere else. All the rest is slow turning shafts and gears- nothing critical. I went to a local metalworking shop and brought a container with me, politely asking if they would sell me a small quantity of way oil so I didn't have to buy 5 gallons. No problem.

I think if you're ignorant (no slight intended) about oils, you could use 3-in-1 for the spindle bearings. You can probably still get that just about anywhere.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                      You can just google "way oil", or look in the Enco catalog, or even attempt ot use the worthless search function on this site for prior threads on the same topics.

Oh... Vactra 2 is a common way oil. Squirt often enough so it stays lubed.
                      Thanks lakeside .... I just did as you suggested and tried the search engine here for "way oil" ... came back with nothing.

Ok .... thanks for the help anyhow ... I guess I'll hit up another forum for the basic info I'm looking for. Seems like something that should be kinda easy to find. Unless, of course, it is knowlege only bestowed upon those that are of the Jedi Order of Machinists.

I live in Yuma, Az. (resources = low). I'll check the local Lowes and Home Depot. Otherwise maybe I'll hit up one of the owners of a local machineshop. Seems like a lot of trouble just to find out how to oil (and break in) a friggin lathe.
                      I make messes.

Comment

That manual is for a Sharp. Are you sure it's for your machine? If so, it also says to use DTE 26 for the headstock and DTE 27 for the apron/ways (automatic oiler). Your local Graingers can supply that, or mail order it and the way oil from Enco.

Rather then chasing down DTE26, I'd just use generic AW68 hydraulic oil for the headstock - available at any Napa store.

BTW the so-called search is broken on this site right now. It isn't working for me on anything. Goggle the intenet for "way oil" and you be buried in hits. You can also direct google to just search this site.
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 09-23-2011, 04:03 AM.

Comment

If your manual is the same as the one I found on line under Bolton Lathes, the chart on page 22 gives you a list of all the oil and grease points, and the intervals when these should be serviced. It also gives the types of oil and grease recommended. SAE 20 oil is the equivalent of ISO68 oil, so any ISO68 machine or straight hydraulic oil will be correct for the oil points.Your lubricant supplier should be able to give you a grease which meets the 3#CA specification, and a way oil such as Vactra #2 will be suitable for the ways and other sliding surfaces. What other information do you need?

QUOTE: Thanks lakeside .... I just did as you suggested and tried the search engine here for "way oil" ... came back with nothing.

Here is the result of a Google search for way oil:
                          http://www.google.com.au/search?q=wa...ient=firefox-a

Some of the references might be useful.

With regard to breaking in, my older Chinese lathe manual suggested running the lathe with no load at each of the speeds available for about twenty minutes, if I remember correctly, before starting to use it. This may not be necessary on newer lathes. It would probably do no harm though.

franco
                          Last edited by franco; 09-23-2011, 05:22 AM.

Comment

The search function isn't broken, it doesn't work with three letter words. Try Vectra or, or...... Alternatively you can search this forum more comprehensively via Google, but I can't remember the format, anybody. Or just Google the internet.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Farndurk
                              Hello all. Ok, you guys did a great job of helping me out on the Mill break in a few months ago. I followed everyone's suggestions to the T and I got that done just fine .. thanks again.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=47398

Now we're doing the lathe. A brand new 12x24 Bolton unit that's been sitting in our shop since last yewar unused. (ugh .. life!) I still have plenty of the hydraulic fluid that I used on the Mill, you guys told me before that oil would work fine with the lathe as well, so I'm good there.

Stupid question ... what exactly do I use to oil the oiling points on the machine? Those little spring loaded balls that are all over it .... those things. The manual is useless as far as frequency of attention in those spots, as well as what type of tool/oiler does one use to work with those little lube points, and what type of lube for that matter! It's not an issue, I man you kinda have to expect this sortof thing with MIC stuff.

Keep in mind my forte has been welding/fab of space frames. I'm not a dummy, just ignorant. And that is something that is easily fixed.

So if I can get a little help here, I can do the break in and then I'll post the results just like I did with the mill. For no other reason than posterity, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Brian ...

Just use a pump type oil can with a pointed nozzle. Nothing exotic. If you can't get the special oils, you won't do any harm with 30W engine oil sold for lawnmowers etc on the spindle bearings and chain saw oil on the slides. Works for me.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X