Adjustable Reamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable Reamers

I need a 5/8" to 11/16" straight blade adjustable reamer. Don't know much about them therefore I don't know why I'm seeing prices from $8 at Shars up to about $50 at McMaster Carr for that particular size. Perhaps number of blades?

Can you suggest a quality item and source?

Well for one thing if it's from Shars it's going to be cheap Chinese import. A good one will be made by Chadwick & Trefethen of Portsmouth NH. Huge difference in materials and overall quality, and worth the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwc
      Can you suggest a quality item and source?
      Nope, after 40 years spent in various shops, I have never gotten a reasonable result with an adjustable blade reamer. Maybe it's me, perhaps the tool requires more training. I do not own one, but many shops had then available.

I would find another way.

DJ

Comment

I have used them numerous times, but be sure to get a good one, the better ones will have finer threads on the adjustment and quality ground and polished blades. make VERY fine adjustments, ream, test, repeat. You need to sneak up on the final size.

I don't generally like to use adjustable reamers, but it is sometimes necessary, kingpin bushings come to mind. The only one or two I currently own are Blue Point.

Comment

Originally posted by Iraiam
          make VERY fine adjustments, ream, test, repeat. You need to sneak up on the final size.

Amen ! .... adjustable reamers are meant for fine tuning an already reamed hole. They are NOT meant to be used under power or to ream a hole from a drilled hole (usually ~ 1/64 under) the way a regular reamer is. At least that's what I was taught. The maximum I have ever removed with an adjustable reamer is ~ .001 - .0015.

Comment

there OK if you want to open a hole and extra thou or so.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
              there OK if you want to open a hole and extra thou or so.
              That's exactly what I'm after....by hand and not under power.

Comment

Adjustable Reamer

I've had good success with them over the years. All the above information applies.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
                  I've had good success with them over the years. All the above information applies.
                  All of the above is exactly correct, they are invaluable for kingpin bushings extremely minute adjustments and use a large handle (like a tap handle)so you have lots of torque and can turn them smoothly, I think most people have problems trying to turn them with a wrench from one side only which causes them to bind. I have some high quality reamers and some cheap ones, when used correctly you will not notice any real difference in the quality of your job. tom

Comment

Working...
                  X