Filling a Bottle Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling a Bottle Jack

I've got a press from the Fred Carver company that has a standard bottle jack. The only thing different is a port on the side that goes to a pressure gauge. It does leak a bit and I have to refill it from time to time and have never been able to do it properly. There always seems to be a little air in it so that I have to pump it a bit to get the piston moving. I'd like to fill it properly. There is a needle valve on the front that I have removed and filled it there. Also there is a plug on the back about half way up the housing that I have also used to fill it. Can someone give me the correct procedure?

Thanks,
    Ed P

With the ram fully retracted, remove the plug (may be a rubber push-in type or may be a threaded type) on the body of the jack and fill to the bottom of the hole with the appropriate hydraulic oil.

Rex

Comment

a bit off topic, but::

Hi all: Do any of you fine guys have any ideas where I can get rebuild parts AND instructions to fix various floor jacks. I've scrounged, err, sorry, managed to find these jacks but they, for various reasons, do not work as planned even after filling to the afore mentioned rubber plug. Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by rode2rouen
        With the ram fully retracted, remove the plug (may be a rubber push-in type or may be a threaded type) on the body of the jack and fill to the bottom of the hole with the appropriate hydraulic oil.

Rex
        Yep, that's it! Exactly what the instruction manual on my long ram bottle jack stated.
        "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

Originally posted by wtrueman
          Hi all: Do any of you fine guys have any ideas where I can get rebuild parts AND instructions to fix various floor jacks. I've scrounged, err, sorry, managed to find these jacks but they, for various reasons, do not work as planned even after filling to the afore mentioned rubber plug. Wayne.
          If it's not leaking why rebuild it? Over the course of a year, I see hundreds of jacks in the salvage yard. Most are there for the same reason--They don't pump-up. And most of those can be fixed without so much as part or tool. I have all that I have room for and didn't pay more than $7 for floor jacks or a few bucks for large bottle jacks.

This fixes most:
          1. Make sure it has hydraulic fluid.
          2. Open the release valve and make sure the cylinder is collapsed.
          3. With the valve still open, lift, pull or otherwise extend the cylinder.
          4. Let the cylinder return and repeat once more.
          5. Close the valve and see if it pumps up.

Most of the time dirt gets under the check valve ball and it won't let the pump increase pressure. The procedure will usually purge the dirt from the ball seat and it will pump. The best thing to do after this is flush the system with a solvent using the same procedure then refill. Good as new.

Comment

ken

Ken thanks. I'll try 3,4,5. What solvent? Or does it matter? BTW, I use ATF. Is this ok? Wayne.

Comment

Stoddard solvent, aka-Paint Thinner. ATF should work.

Comment

Working...
              X