Taper turning on a turret lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taper turning on a turret lathe

I have a Weiler turret lathe. I know next to nothing about turret lathes. I have to turn a slight taper on a piece about 6" long. Is there a tool or cutter designed for the turret that can make this happen? Any help very gratefully accepted.

Scott

Turret Taper

You could set the compound to the desired angle and cut it that way or turn it on centers with an boring head offset and mounted in the turret.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
      You could set the compound to the desired angle and cut it that way or turn it on centers with an boring head offset and mounted in the turret.
      Could you 'splain that a bit more? Hows he going to cut with the work between centers if one of the centers is in the turret? And a turret lathe with a compound?

Comment

I guess most turret lathes don't have a compound, the last one I had did have one. As I recall, most of them have a saddle and cross slide for turning, facing and parting off. You would turn the taper with a tool in the toolpost just like on an engine lathe, using the turret as a tailstock.
        Last edited by Toolguy; 09-25-2011, 11:00 PM.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Some turret lathes have a conventional engine lathe saddle with a compound, some even with threading. Most of the smaller turret lathes, though, have a fixed cross-slide in place of the carriage, that don't do anything but slide straight fore-and-aft.

I've seen some taper attachments for turrets, most notably in the book Turret Lathe Operator's Manual, which focuses mainly on older Warner-Swasey lathes, but said attachments were virtually always more or less similar to a conventional engine lathe's taper attachment.

I can envision a couple of ways a guy could make an attachment for a good-sized turret, but I'm not aware of any factory-made pieces. You'd need a relatively large turret anyway, to get the 6"+ of tool travel needed to make a 6" part.

You might have to locate a conventional lathe with a taper attachment, or at least a large compound.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

The lathe doesn't have a regular cross slide and compound, just the fore and aft cut off (and facing ...) setup. The turret does have sufficient travel. I was hoping for some type of box tool ish thing that cut the slight taper. I have a little 6" bench lathe I can cut it on with an offset tool in the tailstock but was hoping for the above. Which I figured probably didn't exist but I thought I should look into it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
            Scott

Comment

Well,there are box toolish type taper turning attachments for turret lathes but they are scarce and not best for one offs.
              There are also conventional tt slides.
              If it had a saddle,it could be done between centres using a recessing slide in the turret to hold the centre off centre.
              Without a saddle he`s really stuffed.

Comment

Taper turning is something that a turret lathe does not excel at.

Question - in addition to the turret, does the lathe also have a separate cutoff slide, normally found between the headstock and the turret? If it does, remount this to the right of the turret and make a temporary centre, held in the cutoff slide's toolpost.

Fit a centre to the headstock, offset the centre in the cutofff slide, and machine the taper between centres.

Ian
                All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by kel-kat
                  I have a Weiler turret lathe. I know next to nothing about turret lathes. I have to turn a slight taper on a piece about 6" long. Is there a tool or cutter designed for the turret that can make this happen? Any help very gratefully accepted.

Scott
                  Yes, normaly it's done with a sliding tracer tool controled by a flat cam - But they are like rocking horse$hit you'll have to make one

Download THIS PDF & see fig 8 on Pg 185. For emergency (1 off's) simple versions see figs 11+12 Pg189-190
                  John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B
                    Taper turning is something that a turret lathe does not excel at.

Ian
                    Not true Ian, just take Morse taper sleeves - (2 different angle tapers 1 inside + 1 out, cut simultaneously), made in millions on ..............capstan/turret lathes.
                    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Your best bet is to turn the taper as a second operation. A six inch cut is a lot of pressure for a form tool on a cross slide even if you did it in sections.
                      I'm assuming, of course that you don't want to invest in any more tooling than you have to.

Comment

Jugs,

I'm sure you're right about making Morse taper sleeves! How's it done?

Ian
                        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by kel-kat

Scott

Hardinge made at least one taper turning slide for manual turret lathes. It fit on your cutoff slide (front or back). The turret is brought forward bumping the taper slide forwrd.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 6" travel, more like 3" to 4". Most small turret lathes like the Hardinge and your Weiler aren't used for parts that long is the reason I believe the Hardinge slide has the shorter travel.

Taper slides for the various Hardinge automatics had even less travel, maybe 2" on the auto chucker.

You could make a taper slide easily (actiually easier said than done). In concept it's simple, they're a spring loaded dovetail slide so it retracts automatically as the turret is retracted.

Another option would be using a turret mounted, spring loaded turning tool that worked off a tapered cam on your cutoff slide. These type turret tools are fairly common, used for things like cutting internal o-ring grooves, etc. That can be a problem because most turrets of small machnies aren't rigid enoungh to handle the cutting forces wanting to rotate the turret with a tool sticking that far out of the turret.

Comment

Can you install a micro lathe on your cross slide and push the small carriage with your turret, you can by the kit for about $ 150 or go with Micro Lathe II basic unit with automatic power feed for about $300

Comment

How to Machine Parts on Turret Lathes: A Tooling Guide Book. The Warner & Swasey Company, 1944.

Comment

Working...
                              X