Magnetic Anything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Anything.

While reading through various shop solutions I've come across quite a few magnetic solutions for this and that. Problem is I've always had an anti-magnetic phobia about having the nasty things anywhere near my tools or instruments. For certain I would never intentionally bring them anywhere near a magnet.

Is it just me?

Chris

Yep, its just you. I have magnets everywhere.

Comment

Assuming you and I are the only two people, then yes, it's just you.

Seriously, I don't recall ever having ANY problem at all with magnets. I view them as my friends. (I guess I don't have many friends these days, ...sniff, sniff)
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Hi,

It ain't just you. I tend to have a dislike for magnetic chip holding finger slicers myself.

So far we got them out numbered 2:1.

dalee

EDIT: Well, at least we're holding our own so far.
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

How do you get chips off a magnet, stronger magnet?
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
            Not exactly answering your questions, but for my big/strong magnets I keep them in a ziplock bag.

Any attracted chips are on the outside of the bag, simply turn the bag inside out and no mess to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
              Blow gun and a trash can is one,if the mgnet is stuck in it's holder really good a wack on the rim of the trash can knocks most of it off.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                Blow gun and a trash can is one,if the mgnet is stuck in it's holder really good a wack on the rim of the trash can knocks most of it off.
                A sharp impact on magnets can effect their magnetism.

Compressed air works well, and if there are stubborn filings on there- some strips of duct tape will remove all the remaining leftovers. Sort of like one of those adhesive roller lint brushes.

Comment

I use those rare earth magnets pretty much everyday, for all kinds of things. Sure, the occasional screwdriver, file or other small tool gets annoying when it attracts chips but that's why I have a cheap-o demagnetizer on the bench.

I have a small selection of articles on a few of the ways I use magnets listed near the top of this page:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/hstpages.html

One of the most handy things in my shop is the dusting brush, which I can stick pretty much anywhere, thanks to its handle magnet:

Cheers,

Frank Ford
                  HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S.
                    While reading through various shop solutions I've come across quite a few magnetic solutions for this and that. Problem is I've always had an anti-magnetic phobia about having the nasty things anywhere near my tools or instruments. For certain I would never intentionally bring them anywhere near a magnet.

Is it just me?

Chris
                    They're only nasty if you aren't wearing the proper hat.
                    Tinfoil works well.
                    Keep those things away from your brain man.

Seriously.
                    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                      I use duct tape or any other adhesive tape i find.

Comment

I brush my magnets very violently with a brass brush and it seems to fling the debrie off.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100
                          Hi,

It ain't just you. I tend to have a dislike for magnetic chip holding finger slicers myself.

So far we got them out numbered 2:1.

dalee

EDIT: Well, at least we're holding our own so far.
                          It's good to have company but it would appear that we are greatly outnumbered. No matter though, cause I'm too damn old to change my ways. There's no fun like chips clinging to cutters or drill bits re-cutting the same damn metal over and over again! They can keep their magnets.

Chris

Comment

Speaking of magnets, which I am, one of my most useful tools is a big round magnet attached to a long wooden broom handle , from Tractor Supply ( and probably a lot of other places.) I just used it today to fish a nutdriver out of a water filled sump , and I use it now and then to find parts I've dropped into the grass. Sure, if I was less clumsy I wouldn't need it so often , but the years take their toll. This thread also reminds me of another poster who observed that small tools in a shop tend to become magnetized , somewhat by themselves. I observed the same thing, except for tools that are supposed to be magnetized, which tend to lose their magnetizism. Apparently, there's only so much to go around, or something.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I'll side with you. Magnets are great tools , but I prefer not to have any other than my mag base. Chips stuck to vises ,parallels and cutters not good.
                              An edge finder that gets magnetized over time can get you in trouble,also.

Brian
                              ( another fuss button )
                              Toolznthings

Comment

Working...
                              X