Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for buying single drill bits for metric taps

Hi,

I need to drill 1mm pitch hole for a corresponding metric bolt. However, I would like to avoid buying a full metric tap and die set for this but only just buy the tap and corresponding drill bit sized for that particular tap. What would be a good place to buy just the tap and just the one bit for that tap?

Thanks,
    bg

Enco
    MSC
    McMaster Carr
    Grainger
    Fastenall

Comment

McMaster carries everything you need. Fast shipping too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Yup, McMaster is good, but ENCO is probably more reasonable and often has free (but slightly slower) shipping. I use both.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Or even Ace hardware

Comment

Just find a 5 mm drill and an M6 tap and you are set
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

A No.8 (.1960") or a No.8 (.1990") will also be close-enough for an M6 x 1.0 tap.

Comment

I have the set of taps and corresponding drills from KBC tools, the quality seems very good.

Comes in their own drill/tap index.

Comment

I've found a good place for the smaller on-off tap and drills to be hobby shops.

Comment

You are not saying what size metric tap you want to cut, just the pitch. In metric taps all you do is subtract the pitch from the nominal size and you have your tap drill. If you have a number, letter and fractional drill set - you are all set. Just convert the metric tap drill size to inches and use the closest inch size drill.

Comment

The ideal drill size is the one specified and will provide maximum thread engagement. However in many harder materials it's often possible to tolerate less thread engagement, the larger tapping drill size will enable easier tapping, particularly in the larger sizes and if you're using cheap taps. If you can tollerate less thread engagement (and that's almost always the case except in highly stressed and critical applications) then just use the next largest fractional/letter size you have.

Incidentally, your original question made absolutely no sense. The imperial equivalent is to say "I need to drill a 20 tpi hole". You wha ...? However calculating the metric tapping drill size is very easy, just subtract the thread pitch from the tap size. Assuming you are talking about regular metric fasteners, used in 99% of applications, then 1 mm pitch is M6. 6mm minus 1mm is 5 mm, so go down to the local corner store and buy a 5 mm drill bit.

The other thing I'd suggest is NOT to get the cheap drill bit/tap combination sets. Buy yourself some decent taps and decent drills. This is one area you definitely don't want to go cheap with, if you do it will be an ongoing source of frustration every time you use them.

Comment

Working...
                        X