No announcement yet.

OT, retrieving data off a virus'ed HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked out a much easier way to prevent HP computers from causing problems. It is 100% effective.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
      Power supply or motherboard caps. If any of the bypass caps on the motherboard have bulging tops then it is toast.

Bulged caps it was. Stripped the memory and HD and off to the recycler.

Apparently they make the caps so you can easily spot the bulged ones. Mine had aluminum (?) foil on ends with a cross cut in the foil. When they bulged it's obvious without touching them.

The local computer guys sell $20 cap replacement kits. I imagine not mqny older systems are worth that price plus the time to replace. Anybody done it?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
        I worked out a much easier way to prevent HP computers from causing problems. It is 100% effective.
        LOL Evan,

I found a lot of computer people feel the same way about HPs.

I think I only saved a few items from it & it went to one of the e-waste recycling drives we've had here.
        Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Working...
        X