Blade sharpening. I'm inexperienced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade sharpening. I'm inexperienced.

This is a blade for a food processing machine. It has a one-sided blade---opposite ends are sharp for rotating clockwise (this is shown backside-up). How would you sharpen this? Other than my pocket knife and lathe tools, I'm not experienced with sharpening. The blade is steel, but I know nothing more of its composition. Just use a fine bench stone and hone the edge until dead sharp? Should I actually deburr the edge after that? I seem to remember reading that a perfect point on a blade is not the most beneficial for cutting. This blade is roughly 12" end to end and is meant to cut vegetables and pasta, etc. Am I overthinking this? Thanks--I know I just laid 12 questions on y'all

Likely some form of stainless. If it doesn't turn fast (balance not an issue) you should be able to file or grind on a sander, then stone if desired. If it needs to be balanced the same methods are fine, you just get to do an extra step to rebalance when done.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

The machine is quite slow, as you mention. Geared reduction motor. I'm guessing no more than 100rpm at the blade.

Comment

If the blade is soft enough, a few strokes with an 8 or 10" mill bastard file should be all you need. The slight serrations left will help macerate the material being worked like a serrated knife. Holding the blade firmly in a vise makes the whole thing easier.

All I've ever done on this stuff is to determine which side was bevelled from the original sharpening and use a file to bring that surface down far enough to make the edge sharp again. Sometimes on very thick blades (like lawnmowers) a grinder can speed the process up if used with discretion.

One time in a remote camp, I spent an afternoon with a piece of wood, some vegetable oil, and some fine emery cloth sharpening the cook's knives. The special cream puffs she made were worth the effort....
        Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Working...
        X