spindle lock-ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spindle lock-ing

I would like to do a bit of broaching (single tooth with a special shape) using the spindle of my RF45 type bench mill. Has anyone come up with a way to lock the spindle so that it won't rotate while doing the broaching.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

If it's belt drive you might try clamping the belt to something stationary, using spacers as needed.
    Don Young

Comment

If you were to machine up a ring that would press onto the spindle above where any tooling would mount, you could lock that ring to the lowest part of the housing.

If the ring were made the same diameter as the housing, you would then put a band around both parts and tighten it up. The spindle is then locked to the housing, so it would only be free to turn as much as the housing can. Usually there's something to keep it aligned, but there could be a bit of play in that.

The band would be something like a wide hose clamp- I have seen those in machine shops. Some of them have a swing-out latch, making it easy to mount and remove. A layer of cork glued to the inside of the clamp would probably be all that's needed as a friction surface.

Just an idea. I can see that it would work on my mill, and I'll probably make one because I need to be able to do the same thing as you want to.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

IIRC, the RF45 and clones use the splined spindle lock/drawbar cover.

Get another of those spline wrenches they sell for those. Clamp a block to the top of the head, or find some bolt holes to use to mount. Drill holes through the wrench, bolt to the block.

Voila, spindle locked. And, if I'm correct, the spindle can still move free from the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Machina
          IIRC, the RF45 and clones use the splined spindle lock/drawbar cover.

Get another of those spline wrenches they sell for those. Clamp a block to the top of the head, or find some bolt holes to use to mount. Drill holes through the wrench, bolt to the block.

Voila, spindle locked. And, if I'm correct, the spindle can still move free from the head.

This thread shows a variety of shop-made RF45 spline wrenches, any of which could be the basis of a spindle lock.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=45919

Comment

Good ideas, I'm sure one will work. Thanks.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I'm not all that familiar with the RF mill, but I've seen guys making a split clamp where one end fits the spindle (spinning part) and another fits the quill (up.down part).

KEJR

Comment

Working...
              X