Tool Desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Desert

I live in Gatineau Quebec, but geographically it is in the Ottawa River valley. Since the principle city is Ottawa, our National Capital, the principle output is hot air and paperwork. Many people have bemoaned the scarcity and/or cost of machine tools.
    ?Today I went through Kijiji and found the following;- South Bend 9x20 "for parts," asking $200.00. Maximat V10 with mill, asking $1500.00. King 13x36, asking $1950.00. Atlas 6x18, asking $800.00. And finally a no-name 13x20, asking $1600.00.
    None but the SB was bare; they all had some tooling.
    Now what the buyer PAYS is unknown, but whether these asking prices are outrageous or not, I have no idea. This area has a population of about a million and a half, when you consider that it reaches far beyond the city boundaries.
    Thoughts, opinions, ideas?
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

The SB and Maximat seem very reasonable. The others may entail some wishful thinking, but they aren't entirely outrageous if they are in useable condition and include some tooling.

The days of $200 Bridgeports and Monarchs are ending, even in Connecticut and Michigan.

Comment

Up in my area, N. Eastern Ontario those prices appear to be the usual.

But again up in this area it's another machine desert in most areas.

Comment

On Vancouver Craigslist I would expect to see prices up to double those, BC seems to be a major machine tool desert.

Comment

It's the same in South Texas. What few machines show up at auction are so high, I'd rather buy a new import. A ratted-out Bridgeport ready for salvage will bring $2800-$3500. Anything that's complete and works starts at $6000. Most of these are bought-up and taken to Mexico so the prices are inflated.

Comment

dont know the truth but noticed that there seems to be a lot of [my favourite] DSG lathes in Canada?
            regards
            mark

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
              . Most of these are bought-up and taken to Mexico so the prices are inflated.
              I've heard that too. What is the deal with overpriced machines going to Mexico?
              Last edited by daryl bane; 10-01-2011, 01:40 AM.

Comment

boslab: its the "empire" connection, from what I understand, many of the govn't departments in the post war years bought DSG partially because of historical connection, partially because often in those cases "cost is no object", and shops in those post war years who manufactured for that "boom" and wanted quality went with what many knew...I don't think Standard Modern (if they existed) had some of the very largest sizes and many home grown manufacturers had gone under by then (post war)...across Canada most weeks a quick view of Kijiji will reveal one or two DSG [there's a 28x156 up right now]

prices the OP gave are about par in Ontario I would say...a bit less than most other areas, quite a bit less than BC (agree with comments already posted) but the selection is usually better...I would say the price break for really large machinery v. HSM sizes is about the same as one judges the U.S. market to be [there are two really heavy duty mills up right now I would just love to have and one is about the same cost as a good condition Bridgeport/Tree etc. but this is an 18 000lbs machine!]...I would also say, judging by the last 2 years or so, the number of HSM sized Standard Modern lathes are becoming fewer and farther between...though it does seem to go in cycles

Comment

Originally posted by daryl bane
                  I've heard that too. What is the deal with overpriced machines going to Mexico?
                  It's not that "we" are sending overpriced machines there. It's supply and demand that's causing prices to be inflated. It's not just metal working machines either--It's all types. Apparently, they're hard to get in Mexico. And Mexico has been climbing in status in the industrialized market. I also know that few comprehend the term "maintenance". They run stuff till it breaks then get another. I'm not saying this is bad as it does save labor and down time doing maintenance--It's just not part of the culture. As we often say; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Comment

I think that the comment about "empire" buying is very true. Certainly after WW2, the US could only claim "most favoured Nation" status, while Britain had better duty rates.
                    Combine that with the fact that an awful lot of techies were British emmigrants who naturally specified what they knew. For example, in Atomic Energy Canada, Commercial Products Division, you could hardly find a Canadian accent. To those guys, Colchester, Harrison and DS&G were "machines" and Cincinnati, Le Blonde, and Monarch were "colonial ironmongery," corresponding, I suppose, to todays "asian scrap."
                    Standard Modern, on the other hand, being Canadian, was in their minds, PERHAPS a TINY bit better, but still just fit for technical schools. That is where SM sold a lot of machines.
                    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R
                      On Vancouver Craigslist I would expect to see prices up to double those, BC seems to be a major machine tool desert.
                      I guess that explains where all the machine tools have gone in my neck of the woods!, er.. Desert. (just kidding!)
                      I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                      Scott

Comment

Duffy...I look on Kijiji Ontario once in awhile...WOW...there's a lot of cheap machines out there.
                        Weird tho...I live in SK now...there are very few trees...but man...you can buy a ton of good woodworking equipment out here. I've put together a whole cabinet shop again and paid a quarter of what I'd pay in BC.
                        Russ
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
                          I live in Gatineau Quebec, but geographically it is in the Ottawa River valley. Since the principle city is Ottawa, our National Capital, the principle output is hot air and paperwork. Many people have bemoaned the scarcity and/or cost of machine tools.
                          Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

I had always thought the Ottawa area had a good supply of tools, considering the main output IS hot air. Might be worthwhile to look here also.......

http://www.usedottawa.com/classifieds/stationary-tools

Comment

Working...
                          X