flat battery OT [red wine misuse]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat battery OT [red wine misuse]

after suffering with a flat battery[mostly] on my mini digger, a little 3 ton nissan/hanix i remembered a thing i saw on one of these odd programmes on the old discovery net, i was awaiting a new battery to be delivered, ny charger had died and the machine was a long way from power and needed to be started, without being able to lug a battery through the woods as my ticker is bust i remembered a trick where you add red wine to the battery to get some fiz out of it.
    well i had nothing to loose and it wasent a fancy gel pack, just a common lead/acid, drained some electrolyte off with a hydrometer [each cell] and added red wine!
    i was sceptiv until i saw the reading on the hydrometer, it was just above low! in the green!
    i wasent going to risk using the glow plugs to i gave it a blast of start ya bastard [thats what it says on the tin!]
    pressed the starter, she span like a bitch an started first time!!!!
    still havent got the new cell but after a couple of hours running it starts first time now..i would have thought i had knackered the plates but its holding a charge better now? [im sure the winter will kill it!]
    worth a punt if your stuck
    regards
    mark

I hope you used Melrot.
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
      I hope you used Melrot.
      Do you mean Merlot?

Comment

Originally posted by ligito
        Do you mean Merlot?
        I think he was being a bit tongue in cheek with the Melrot comment, not a fan of Merlot apparently

I had never heard of this trick but apparently it is the acid in the wine that gives it a little boost... something to file away for those emergencies where you have a dead battery but a 'live' bottle of wine

Comment

Thank you for the tip Boslab. I love these Home Chemistry tricks.
          Last edited by Grind Hard; 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM.
          "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

"MelROT" - a cheap merlot. Along the lines of "rot gut" whiskey.

I'd heard of something like that, to revive a battery temporarily. Thought it was Coca cola. ...or maybe a couple of asprin tablets.

Comment

Gonna hafta start carrying a bottle of red wine in the truck, for mergencys ya no

Tim

Comment

better yet... yell at someone on the phone... then drink the wine yourself

Comment

I think for this particular application, merlrot-grade merlot would be perfectly adequate....
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I dont use my mini digger much either..

Although I keep my Terex-Schaeff HR16 3.5 ton Mini digger under a tarapaulin outside...the battery stays in a cupboard in the kitchen and gets charged monthly.

Rob

Comment

When the digger didn't start, I would've thought a day of work wasn't meant to be, and would kick back in my lounge chair and drink the wine.

Comment

My excavator wouldn't start today out in the forest. I walked back to get a bottle of wine thinking about this thread. Got to the excavator but the bottle was emtied by the time I got there. So I walked back and got another bottle. That bottle didn't make it either. So I walked/staggered back and got a third bottle. But this time I couldn't find my excavator so I drank the third bottle and now I am writing this from my IPhone becaue I ca n nt fid my wy bak hooomm!
                        Last edited by Black Forest; 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM.
                        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Daamm. Doe s any1 no how to uuusss the GPS on a iphone? I neeed annother bottle of whine!!!
                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                          X