Looking for used machinery in south Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for used machinery in south Minnesota

Can't find my list of previous finds...looking for a used machinery dealer in south Minnesota, most likely Minneapolis or Rochester area (could easily be in a small suburb in the general vicinity)...not really heavy duty industrial types machinery but lots of stuff I would be interested in, chucks under 8", HSM sized lathes, small tooling, odds and ends...recall the website being mostly blue w some red and yellow...help!

For that matter, if anyone has suggestions of any such places in the south Minnesota or between the northern US border and there, I'm all ears

Hi,

These guys? http://www.sominn.com They are in Dodge Center. Of Course the is InterPlant Sales in Hugo too. And Used Machinery Sales LLC in Elk River.

dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

My experience after living in MN for many years, is that its hard to find good prices there. When I lived there, I bought most of my machines out east. The areas which were once heavily industrialized and then went downhill are where you find the cheapest machines.

The disparity is so great in fact, that I used to buy some machinery in MA and then sell it in MN to pay for mine.

Of course, this has been quite a few years ago, so things might have changed.
      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Hi,

Nope, it hasn't really changed much. The majority of machines that are within HSM budgets are scrap. A decent working Bridgeport will set you back $5000 minimum with no tooling. Even large lathes, 16"+ swings and 120"+ beds, are climbing in price drastically. And those are generally good buys because few want anything that big.

dalee
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

It might be worth your while to think about buying in another area. Detroit might be a good bet, I don't know. Probably the guys on the forum could be of help. Then rent a truck with a hydraulic lift to bring it back to where you are.

The savings on the machines, if you could buy several, would well pay for the price of the truck. I have done this with good results, driving from Mass. to MN with a Penske truck. What I did was buy several, get a cheaper price, and then sell the ones I didn't want to help with the costs. If you live in an area of high demand, you might make this work. The tailgate handled even the Bridgeport, (but don't talk to Sir John about that.)

I have never visited the places in Hugo or Elk River, but the Dodge Center folks were not cheap.
          Last edited by davidwdyer; 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM.
          Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

These guys run a lot of plant closing auctions in the upper Midwest.

http://www.hoffonlineauctions.com/

Comment

Working...
            X