No announcement yet.

A chiseled relief pistol barrel made with rifflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George leave the pictures alone we need to see the exquisite work you do if its a lot of trouble for them to scroll side ways they need to get a bigger monitor.
    If I want to really see it big I get out the HDMI cable and hook it up to my 37" LCD TV, my normal monitor is 21" diag.

Hope to see you again at Cabin Fever Expo.

Comment

Thank you duckman. I hope I can get my knee better able to walk by then.

Comment

I am working on my knee brace system right now. It might be something you can use depending on how it turns out.

Your engraving is exquisite. I can't imagine doing it by hand.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

George: Thanks for posting, I for one like your Photos big. Nice work, by the way. What do you plan on doing with your unfinished barrel? Gary P. Hansen
          In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman
            George leave the pictures alone we need to see the exquisite work you do if its a lot of trouble for them to scroll side ways they need to get a bigger monitor.
            I second this motion. Your art work needs to exhibit all of its detail. You posses great old world skill. I think Roy Underhill would love to have you on his show!

George, did I understand that you gunsmithed at the Williamsburg gun shop?

Chris

Comment

No,Chris. I was hired in 1970 at Colonial Williamsburg to be the first(and only) Master Musical Instrument Maker. I set up that new shop,and ran it till 1986. The director had seen tools I had made in my then SMALL home shop. It was too small at the time to make instruments,plus the dust,etc. He needed someone to make proper 18th.C. style tools for the Historic Area craftsmen,who were using a hodgepodge of mostly incorrect tools. In 1986 I finally agreed to become the Master Toolmaker(probably the first and last of that,too.) I retired in 2009 at age 67. I think only a journeyman will carry on. They want to save money,and I'm not sure if the days of the Master Craftsman position is over. They may just have shop supervisors in future.

I did use the boring machine at the gunsmith's shop to finish ream the brass barrel,but never worked there.

P.S.,years ago,in the 80's,Roy did do a show in the musical instrument maker's shop when I was there. I saw that all my staff were in the show.
              Last edited by gwilson; 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

George, you certainly have a proud and colorful history. I'm sure I saw that Woodwright episode. I missed very few of them.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                  No,Chris. I was hired in 1970 at Colonial Williamsburg to be the first(and only) Master Musical Instrument Maker. I set up that new shop,and ran it till 1986. The director had seen tools I had made in my then SMALL home shop. It was too small at the time to make instruments,plus the dust,etc. He needed someone to make proper 18th.C. style tools for the Historic Area craftsmen,who were using a hodgepodge of mostly incorrect tools. In 1986 I finally agreed to become the Master Toolmaker(probably the first and last of that,too.) I retired in 2009 at age 67. I think only a journeyman will carry on. They want to save money,and I'm not sure if the days of the Master Craftsman position is over. They may just have shop supervisors in future.

I did use the boring machine at the gunsmith's shop to finish ream the brass barrel,but never worked there.

P.S.,years ago,in the 80's,Roy did do a show in the musical instrument maker's shop when I was there. I saw that all my staff were in the show.
                  You really should write a compendium of your knowledge as it is priceless for future generations. Your career is truly one of those where it can be said, "...he forgot more than most people will ever learn..."

Comment

hwoolridge,my mother always told me that SHE had forgotten more than I'll ever know!

Thank you for the best compliment I have ever had.

Lots of people have encouraged me to write a book,but I'm just not inclined to write like some . Nor do I know what such a book would cost,especially with a lot of pictures. And,it would have very limited sales,too.

Comment

Some have asked what I did with the rifflers.
                      Thank you.

Both for the primary images and construction details, as well as for
                      the accompanying background that often accompany your posts.

Comment

George, thank you for sharing your unique expierences with us. The pics are fine, the work exceptional. As for writing a book, it may seem a daunting task, but should be doable by one as diligent as your self... if not a complete book now, surley you should begin compiling detailed notes with sketches documenting your lifes work.

Joe B

Comment

hwoolridge,my mother always told me that SHE had forgotten more than I'll ever know!

Thank you for the best compliment I have ever had.

Lots of people have encouraged me to write a book,but I'm just not inclined to write like some . Nor do I know what such a book would cost,especially with a lot of pictures. And,it would have very limited sales,too.
                          Need to find a technical book editor who could have someone "ghost write" for you. I have written some technical papers over the years and it's not too tough if you start with a basic template. The important things are to describe proper sequence and have plenty of quality photos.

You might be surprised how many people would buy it - especially if you sold it online as downloads. For example, you could describe this gun barrel in detail with pics and required tools to make one and sell that as a single lesson. Just a thought...

Comment

I suppose I could write it o.k.. Just a question of time,money,and energy. Thank you for your kind thoughts,and all the others,too.

Comment

This a tough call. On one hand, your close to my age and the reality of how long you'll be able to continue your fine work is an issue. There's no way you'll be able to write a book and maintain your current shop time. On the other hand if you don't write a book you'll be taking a life time of knowledge with you.

Wait, ....I just considered what I would do if I had your skills. I'd do what I love to do, while I could still do it.

Chris

Comment

Do you suppose it would be feasible with practice to do reasonable Bas Relief
                                work by first tracing out an image and then working the traced image with
                                chisels?

If so, what material and initial selection of tools would you suggest that
                                a novice would do well to begin with?

Comment

Working...
                                X