Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraiam
    replied
    It sounds like this guy is a real waste, if the noise from the dist collector bothers him, he should wear ear plugs. He does not have the right to put other peoples health and safety at risk.

Using your own PPE (dust mask, respirator, or whatever is required) would be the easiest option to start with.

Where I work, safety is a big thing, not following all the safety rules will get you fired fast. Is there and HR department there? If a supervisor is unwilling to deal with the problem can you take your issue to HR?

I would also note that you are legally protected against discrimination for contacting OSHA, which really just means you can sue them if they fire you for doing so. but that doesn't mean they can't move you higher up on the list to go in the event of a layoff or something, or any number of other BS moves, OSHA will also keep you anonymous if you request it.

good luck
    Last edited by Iraiam; 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Gentlemen,

Let's not forget that we are dealing with grinding dust here, not some guy who plays country music or rush limb. and is just annoying.

I have posted this here before but here we go again. I spent several years near the end of my 28+ year tour in tool and die running all types of grinding equipment. The one thing I would not do is grind without ventilation.

I asked one of my co-workers if he thought the cancer rate was higher among our grinding department than other trades. He told me "the grinders all died of cancer". We started naming names of the cancer deaths in the grinding dept. and quit counting at something over a dozen.

OSHA, act of congress, whatever. THIS $HIT CAN AND WILL KILL YOU.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• 914Wilhelm
    replied
    Have you just tried sitting down with the person and having a non-confrontational conversation? Explain that the dust is hard for you, that it worsens your lung condition, that it irritates your eyes, whatever. Sometimes if you do something like this in the break room, as a one on one, it will be seen by other coworkers and you can gain their respect and in the long term they can help to pressure this guy as well. Try asking the other guy how we can make this situation better. If the noise of the vaccum bugs him that is easily solveable as mentioned previously. If the guy is a disagreeable ass just because it's his nature, his coworkers may see him as one also and slowly rally to help you. You can also slowly start to win over the hearts and minds of the others in the shop. Bring in donuts, give them a hand with setps, help them pick something up, give some advice when it seems appropriate. Be the good guy, not the whiner. Not many like a whiner or stand behind one. Peer pressure can work interesting leverage over time. If you don't have the time or patience for this then you can just go to war. The problem with war is someone looses. Could be him, could be you.

Leave a comment:

• BigMike782
    replied
    To the OP.
    I had to wait until my Psycho co-worker retired......whoooooeeeee what a day!
    The only thing I can say is keep yourself safe,document everything and make it clear to your supervisor that you inted to do both of the above.Also make sure you follow all the company safety policys so the offender cannot come back at you.

I better get this posted quick before it gets locked.Sounds like cabin fever has set in early......bickering like an old married couple just to have something to do.
    Last edited by BigMike782; 10-03-2011, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oldbrock
    replied
    Two simple solutiions. One, grind with coolant, or, Two, put the vacuum outside the shop and wired up to the grinder. Dust and noise gone. Of course you need a collecter hose to the grinder. Peter

Leave a comment:

• jugs
    replied
    Originally posted by gwilson
    Jugs,you really do come across pretty vicious yourself in this last post.

I hope to God you never make an error. You would never forgive yourself. You might kill yourself for forgetting to put up a smiley face.
    Pretty yes

Vicious not yet

Leave a comment:

• jdunmyer
    replied
    To the O.P.:

You're concerned mostly about your health, so wear a dust mask of some sort while the grinder is being operated by the idiot. Doing anything stupid like contacting the OSHA people may not get you fired, but you'll pay for it many times over, believe me.

When/if the boss asks about the mask, I'd be nonchalant about it, and also point out the potential damage to the other machines, as someone else suggested. Then, LET IT GO, don't whine and snivel.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    What do you mean? What if my worst WASN'T pretty bad? (Not saying it isn't bad) Everyone makes foul ups.

By the way,concern yourself with your own posts.
    Last edited by gwilson; 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by gwilson
    I assure you my worst can be pretty bad!
    a redundant post.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    Uncle Pete,I assure you my worst can be pretty bad!

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    McGyver,
    Oh yeah I totally agree about Georges work, His worst would no doubt be far better than mine ever will be. And George I know your not 100% health wise.

I've spent my whole working life with large groups of people who are bored with their jobs and litterlly hunt for a target to ride or make a joke. Nothing and no one is safe from them. It's either give back better than you got or move on to another day.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Mr. Wilson you play nice or I will take away your medications!

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    Please post your look what I did posts. Pictures are fun,and if you never post them,no one gets to see anything interesting,do they? Or,do you just prefer to sit around and blather about whatever?

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by uncle pete
    I'm startin to think we need Airsmith back for some comedy relief.

Pete
    absolutely, and millman. how much can you learn about machining without some good comic relief? The one who i'm glad is gone TMT, he's was just nails on the blackboard tediously annoying. But the Airsmith threads? Good times.

these frequent gwilson dust ups are also good....always leads to half a dozen 'look what i did' threads and he makes some nice stuff

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    B/F,
    LOL, Damn good point. I oughta go back and edit it. Cheers buddy.

Pete

Leave a comment:

Working...
X