X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Originally posted by gwilson
    Check the parking lot for cameras and slash his tires,put nails under them,etc.. Report to the IRS anonymously that the guy is making unreported extra income,selling stuff for cash. A million ways to make his life unbearable. He's an ass for not turning on the collector and he's pooping in your face.
    And how will that make him use the dust collector ?
    All he'll know is that someone has it in for him but about what ? Could be anything.

Best course of action is to approach management, state your case and ask THEM to wire the two items in parallel.
    This way it's their decision and their problem if it gets tampered with.

Leave a comment:

• Circlip
    replied
    If someone else is using the machinery, ask them to turn the collector on and if they refuse, wear a personal respirator, if you are using the machinery and after switching the collecter on, he switches it off, you are at liberty to smash his fingers with a FBH for endangering your personal safety. In every industrial enviroment, it's your own responsibility to ensure your own personal safety.

Regards Ian.

And oh yes, whenever a "Gang" get together to enforce something, you'll need a giant dust collector to find you're stood on your own.

Nearly forgot, ask the management to supply your personal safety equipment and point to the self contained power type.
    Last edited by Circlip; 10-03-2011, 03:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fixerdave
    replied
    Not easy... I mean, he doesn't like the noise, you don't like the dust. He can wear plugs, you can wear a mask. Not going to be an easy fight. But, if the dust collector is so noisy you need earplugs... maybe everyone in the shop can agree to fix THAT problem... you know, make it quieter so the argument goes away? I mean... the dust extractor is the thing in the shop people think is too loud??

If management won't pay for that... well, you're the odd man out. I suggest you wear a mask. But, I'd make it a big cumbersome mask and while I worked with it I'd go r-e-a-l s-l-o-w. When said boss complained about how long a job took you to do, just say the dust mask slows you down. When he asks why you're wearing the dust mask... well, point to the guy that won't use the dust extractor. Maybe remind him that you've already had a conversation with him about this safety issue but he did nothing. It might drive the point home.

Though, better yet, get the entire floor wearing dust masks. Fights between employees will make a manager's eyes roll. A room full of employees agreeing to fight management is a whole different level. At that level, money they say doesn't exist can magically appear to fix the problem.

Fights with management are well documented other places, so I won't bother.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    Tip the contents of the collection bag over him and say 'If you like the dust that much you might as well have the rest of it'.

Leave a comment:

• mike os
    replied
    or if it "smells a bit like smoke" hit the fire alarms....thought something was on fire.

Guess I am fortunate that the only time I had to deal with an idiot like this I had the authority to tell him next time he was dismissed immediately for breach of safety requirements....never happened again.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Next time he turns on the grinder and not the dust collector just go over and turn off the grinder. Point to the dust collector. When he turns the grinder on again you turn it off again. When he touches you then lay him out. Point made. Of course I am a barbarian and a big well trained one at that!!

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    Isn't the dust getting onto the machinery,too? Aren't the bosses concerned about AT LEAST not needlessly wearing out their machinery? Sounds like they haven't thought about that,or it wasn't their money that bought them.

Check the parking lot for cameras and slash his tires,put nails under them,etc.. Report to the IRS anonymously that the guy is making unreported extra income,selling stuff for cash. A million ways to make his life unbearable. He's an ass for not turning on the collector and he's pooping in your face.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I would not get too anal about it with the bosses -- and trying to go through all the "proper protocol" will do just that and might just earn you a "reputation" and make life really really tough on you --- here's what you could do - you could do the wiring thing but why not just let it be? take pleasure in whatever dust particulates your smelling he's inhaling 50 times the amount ---- karma will get real ugly for him down the road - feel free to bring in a light duty particulate mask and where it when he fires the grinder up ---- everyone will think your a nerd and but that's ok cuz u know what the score is

Leave a comment:

• PhilR
    replied
    issac338 and Scottike- I like your idea of wiring the dust collector to the grinders. That will certainly be dummy proof.

Tony- I think he doesn't like the dust collector because it makes noise. Earplugs are provided, and it is tolerable.

gwilson: That would concern them for sure.

Y.O.D.-Thanks, that gave me a good laugh.

Pete- We do have the right to refuse unsafe work in Ontario. That is a good point that we're no longer in the 1900's. We should be able to learn from our history and make corrections, unfortunately some choose ignorance. I will document my conversations.

Arcane and Theiskell, very good points and advice I can use.

Thanks guys

My employers are decent people to work for, hopefully they listen this time, I do like my job.

Leave a comment:

• Theiskell
    replied
    Originally posted by Arcane
    Time to be blunt and direct with your boss to the point he understands it isn't a personal preference of yours but an Occupational Health and Safety issue that if not addressed as required by workplace rules will result in your going to them directly. Let him know that he can be held personally responsible for not following OHSA rules...something he may not know or believe. There is also the issue of workplace harassment and bullying which I believe the other worker is subjecting you to by deliberately not using the ventilation system and saying he don't care and with his personal criticisms directed at you. The boss's refusal to do anything about it makes him complicit with it. At one time that was tolerated but today, it's one of the things that really seems to be taken very seriously. It's commonly called a Toxic Workplace.
    This is well stated.

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation be sure to document EVERY instance in detail. When you go to the employer with a stack of papers documenting health hazards, management tends to listen. If they don’t then maybe someday they will be working for you. OSHA frowns upon this type of thing and can and will fine the company and the individual if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Time to be blunt and direct with your boss to the point he understands it isn't a personal preference of yours but an Occupational Health and Safety issue that if not addressed as required by workplace rules will result in your going to them directly. Let him know that he can be held personally responsible for not following OHSA rules...something he may not know or believe. There is also the issue of workplace harassment and bullying which I believe the other worker is subjecting you to by deliberately not using the ventilation system and saying he don't care and with his personal criticisms directed at you. The boss's refusal to do anything about it makes him complicit with it. At one time that was tolerated but today, it's one of the things that really seems to be taken very seriously. It's commonly called a Toxic Workplace.

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    Phil,
    Your in Ontario, Does your province have "Right to refuse" legislation the same as B.C. does? If so, Simply walk out the door everytime it happens. But I'm thinking you might not. Y.O.D.s solution would be funny & effective, And from what I've read, Well deserved. This isn't the 1900s where the health effects wern't understood. I'd mention to the "boss" that if the problem isn't dealt with then your going to be forced to move up the ladder in the company and thru various government workplace safety boards. Document all conversations. The safety system is there and one guy won't use it? That pretty well explains what he thinks of his fellow workers. Your right in your point of view, I sure wouldn't be worried about what he thinks. Your fellow workers should be backing you up 100% also.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied

These come in various lengths and weights. There aren't many attitudes they won't re-adjust.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    Explain how someone could sue the company for lung damage. That sometimes interests whimpy,lazy bosses.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    Why does he not like to use the dust collector?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X