Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottike
    replied
    I suppose you could spend time trying to explain the hazards of the dust to the health of the employees, machines, and the consequent impact it would have on the company bottom line. Or just wire the dust collector so that it comes on when the surface grinder is turned on.

Leave a comment:

• isaac338
    replied
    Come in after hours and wire up a relay so you can't turn on the grinder without the collector coming on, and don't tell anyone you did it.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    sounds like a typical situation same as elsewhere,where the bosses are too whimpy to deal with the problem.

Leave a comment:

• PhilR
    started a topic O.T. How to deal with difficult people at work

O.T. How to deal with difficult people at work

How do you deal with difficult people at work?

I have a situation here where a difficult / ignorant co-worker is causing a health and safety concern. My employers have provided us with the proper equipment to use. ie. Dust collector that is hooked up to all surface grinders, fume extractor for welding. My issue with this guy is: he will not use the dust collector for the surface grinders (I'm glad he doesn't know how to weld), the other workers also don't care, as they seem to value his opinion. When the dust collector isn't on I can smell the dust across the shop, which is definitely not good for anyone's health, I will turn it on, he just shuts it off. I've confronted him about this by simply asking why he does this, he gave me a serious attitude saying "I don't care" and went onto personal criticisms directed at me. It's obvious to me that he does not like to be told. I've worked for this company since they started in '04, and never had an issue with the 45 people that have been through there. I've asked the boss how we can make proper use of the dust collector, he said we'll have to make a rule that when the grinders are on it has to be on also. That was almost 2 months ago, I've mentioned it to him again and nothing has been done about it. Maybe I was being too general and polite.
    Since the co-worker is unreasonable to deal with, how do I tactfully discuss this issue with the bosses to have a healthier work environment without seemingly being a snitch or as a person who is difficult to deal with as well?
    I kind of feel stuck, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I'd like to hear of any experiences or advice you guys may have.
Working...
X