Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloat?!?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gloat?!?

    I just acquired an old Stuart 10H steam engine kit. Looks to be from the late 50's based on the instruction sheet. A friend of mines' father and grandfather were "ironmongers" if you will. If it moved or made noise they had it and kept it. Lost story short, he has been reducing the inventory to get down to 1 building instead of 4. We have been helping to sort the sheep from the goats and have had a number of "gifts" in the process. Opened up a box of the junk and found this:



    Pretty nasty, but has all of the major parts. Missing some hardware, gaskets, and drawings. Stuart has those available. Looks like a fun project, hopefully I can get it running. Overnight soak in Evapo-Rust and ended up with this:



    Also scored a small hand vise, a hand pin/screw holder, and a pair of Athol Machine calipers. Other adventures to help netted a Wilton S450 vise, numerous wood butchering tools, and a 1932 South Bend 8" x 42" lathe. The lathe is really rough, not a user, but there are some salvageable parts on it. If anyone is interested in those, please PM me. There was no tooling with it, but I couldn't let it hit the scrapper-yet.

  • #2
    rmwize...Similar thing happened to me 2-3 years ago! Stuart 6a double compound marine steam engine!!!
    I am missing about 15pc. I have the prints. Some day I will have to make those pcs and get it in display condition. Great find and good luck

    Evapo-Rust ...Just leave it in overnight and it looked like that? That I have got to try .....Dean
    www.neufellmachining.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd call it a gloat considering what Stuart charges for their kits.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

      Comment


      • #4
        I couldn't believe that it would work, but it was worth a shot. Just dumped the parts in a bucket and left it to sit. Put them in around 9 last night, fished them out around 2 this afternoon. There is a little bit of black smut on them that came off when rinsed. I did hit the main casting with a SS wire brush while rinsing it. The shine is from a shot of M1 oil. If they end up sitting too long I may hose them down with LPS3.

        I have used electrolysis before but that seems to take forever, this was MUCH faster and didn't have line-of-sight issues to deal with. Plus no nasty off-gassing with the Evapo-Rust.

        Fastenal, O'Reilly Auto, and AutoZone carry the stuff. Hope it helps.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you....I will give it a try
          www.neufellmachining.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Evaporust is seriously good chit.
            Been using it for years.

            Comment


            • #7
              Rust removal

              I started in on the South Bend 8" Jr that was acquired at the same time as the steam engine model. Pretty significant amounts of surface rust on all exposed surfaces. It was stored uncovered in an unheated building for at least the last 15 years, who knows about it's care before that, but best guess is that the last time it was used was the late 1960's. I was seriously considering scrapping it (it was free...), but I tried the Evapo Rust on it and I may be changing my tune. I'm pretty sure it won't be a diamond when it's done, but it might be pretty useful. I have an old SB 405 and an Atlas 12x36 that work very well, so this one is an experiment.

              I didn't think to take pics of the whole lathe in it's neglected state, but have a few shots of it before and after a bath. This stuff (Evapo Rust) is, as mentioned above, good s**t.

              This is what I was up against, back of apron:


              One of the gears after a soak, not one of the apron gears but it was in the same state of nastiness:


              The lead screw is my biggest concern as the rust was pretty bad, I cut a 4' length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe, capped one end and secured it upright to the corner of one of my benches. Dropped in the screw and filled it up. It's been sitting for about 36 hours now, going to let it soak for another day or so. Everything has come apart well so far, no broken bolts or screws and the headstock bearing surfaces look good. There may be hope for this one...

              Comment

              Working...
              X