Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris S.
    replied
    [QUOTE=JoeLee]This is what I put down in my wood shop. It came out so nice I was tempted to do my whole shop floor like this. I don't think it cost me more than $100 to do this area, about 18 x 10 ft.

JL....................

Yeah, that's a heck of a lot better than concrete. Most tools striking that will survive too!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Chris S.
    replied
    Evan, thanks for the pic and the info.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    This is what I put down in my wood shop. It came out so nice I was tempted to do my whole shop floor like this. I don't think it cost me more than $100 to do this area, about 18 x 10 ft.

JL....................

Leave a comment:

• Tony
    replied
    he was going to write another paragraph but he fell asleep.

total tangent but the oddest thing has been happening (as I age?)..
    the less sleep I get the more alert/active my brain seems to be. I
    mean i feel like absolute poop (physically) but the lights are on bright.

if i get what used to be a "good nights sleep" i feel sluggish (mentally)
    all day.

maybe its all the dust from the bad concrete floor.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Why aren't you asleep instead of on the computer? it's 4am for goodness sakes!
    That's late rising for me. Just last month my sleep disorder was finally diagnosed. I have narcolepsy which means that my sleep center is disconnected and I have no regular sleep cycle. I can't sleep more than a couple of hours straight and that can be at any time of day or night. Contrary to popular misinformation it does not mean that I suddenly fall asleep without warning or collapse to the ground. That can happen in some cases but is very rare. The narcolepsy is also the most likely cause of my Fibromyalgia.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    This is the plywood.

Leave a comment:

• Chris S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    Yes there is. I have a couple of 3/4" 5x8 ft pieces for my observatory floor. They cost about $30 each.
    Thanks Evan. Is there a type designation like "CDX-P"?

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    The sodium silicate (water glass) formula sounds like the real deal..... I think my floor must have been treated with something similar, that or it was a really "fat" mix..... it's rather dense and hard, and shines up with wear as stated.

Leave a comment:

• 914Wilhelm
    replied
    Evan!
    Why aren't you asleep instead of on the computer? it's 4am for goodness sakes!
    Wilhelm

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I will take a picture later. It is very good grade material. With a coat of paint it will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• 914Wilhelm
    replied
    "Originally Posted by Chris
    I wonder, is there a pressure treated grade of plywoods?

Yes there is. I have a couple of 3/4" 5x8 ft pieces for my observatory floor. They cost about $30 each."

None that I would want to walk on or sweep. The stuff I have seen is splintery with lots of surface cracks in it. Who knows what your breathing all the time working with this versus what gets released when hot slag causes it to smoke.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    I wonder, is there a pressure treated grade of plywoods?
    Yes there is. I have a couple of 3/4" 5x8 ft pieces for my observatory floor. They cost about $30 each.

Leave a comment:

• Bond
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony
    I've been putting up for way too long with a concrete floor in the
    shop that just keeps generating dust. its become intolerable. I've
    already moved 1/2 the shop into the other half and plan to get started
    asap.

thing is, am not sure which way to go.

I'm considering using a self-leveling epoxy/cement/god-knows-what
    called Mapei Ultraplan 1

Mapei รจ un'azienda leader mondiale nella produzione di adesivi, sigillanti e prodotti chimici per l'edilizia. 80 anni di eccellenza, scopri il mondo Mapei!

technically its not a finished floor -- its meant to be a level foundation
    for carpet / wood / tile -- but I'm wondering if this isn't a marketing gimmick?

its rated to 4500 psi after 28 days.

thats concrete to me.

has anyone ever tried anything similar?

I've considered sealants and paints but i think this concrete just stinks
    and will break easy if i drop a heavy hammer for example. by break i mean
    easily pulverize into powder.

Tony
    If its what I think it is (and I am shur it is) it hold up exelent. It was put down on a track that as 1000lb carts run on it all day.It was put down in the late 80s and it still there.

Leave a comment:

• BudB
    replied
    I might suggest a product I have used in the past both on older small applications and on fresh 100,000 sq ft factory floors. It is a 1930's water clear product called "Ashford formula" and is a sodium silicate formula. Repaces sealer on fresh concrete. Penetrates up to 1/3 of an inch. Hardens and densifies. With a good steel trowel job the concrete will shine like glass with wear. Squegezee in.....rinse ....After 15 years of wear no problems and no dust. Older concrete needs to be very clean of oils and apply at double strength. There are dealers thoughout the country. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Dusty concrete?

it's a SHOP..... why isn't the floor oily enough to "lay" that dust?

I used a concrete material to level a floor in the basement, part of which is expanded shop area. We had had the floor trenched for pipe replacement, and it mostly wasn't filled up flat, while some areas were way proud, and I had to chisel them down.

Some spots filled were as thin as 1/16", but it is still holding up in it's second year, despite having machines dragged over it.

Quickcrete Concrete Resurfacer is what I used. Seems to have worked well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X