• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine tools,old men,wheel rims and Techno

Widening out some wheel rims-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfY-I...rec_grec_index
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I LOVE the tough as nails old boys! Welding with cigar; fumes and smoke=goodness! And no welding gloves; the UV just tans me up! The end result=perfect!

Comment

cool video.

But the music included Rick James Super Freak, from 1981, Crosby Stills and Nash Carry On, from 1969, and that last one is a remix of a 2000 euro schmaltz song called "never had a dream come true" by the band S7 Club, which was kinda like a cross between the Spice Girls and ABBA.

Not hardly techno, in my book, but then us old guys tend to listen to a lot of techno, since we blew our eardrums on the Ramones back in 76...

Comment

Originally posted by Ries
        cool video.

But the music included Rick James Super Freak, from 1981, Crosby Stills and Nash Carry On, from 1969, and that last one is a remix of a 2000 euro schmaltz song called "never had a dream come true" by the band S7 Club, which was kinda like a cross between the Spice Girls and ABBA.

Not hardly techno, in my book, but then us old guys tend to listen to a lot of techno, since we blew our eardrums on the Ramones back in 76...
        Ya,CS&N,some of the music did suck come to think of it And thanks for bringing up ABBA BTW,now I gotta wash my ears with Drano
        Last edited by wierdscience; 10-06-2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Thats interesting to watch I wonder how true the wheels are when they are done. Thats a lot of heat on those rims.
          Those two remind me of a couple of old farmers that had a hardware store in town I would swear they were twins to guys here. They worked on tractors and farm equipment. To straighten a bent axle they had it between centers on an old lathe and were using a 6 pound hammer to beat it straight. It worked cause I watched them do it.
          Last edited by rolland; 10-06-2011, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Welding rims

Originally posted by rolland
            Thats interesting to watch I wonder how true the wheels are when they are done. Thats a lot of heat on those rims.
            Those two remind me of a couple of old farmers that had a hardware store in town I would swear they were twins to guys here. They worked on tractors and farm equipment. To straighten a bent axle they had it between centers on an old lathe and were using a 6 pound hammer to beat it straight. It worked cause I watched them do it.
            Have you ever had a close look at most steel rims on the market at present ?

The welds often crack under stress and many are very near impossible to balance even when new.
            The guys doing the work seemed to know what they were doing , their wheels would possibly out last some of the high end crap that is sold .

I have two cracked rims at the moment both cracks are in the centre of the weld , most likely stress fractures due to working on non sealed roads.

However alloy rims only last about a week as they are only made for show not work.
            Steel rims are easy to balance if you try , remove all weights and thoroughly clean every surface .
            I usually fit a valve stem to any rim which is fitted with tubeless tyres so as not to throw things out when a tyre is finally fitted .
            Then carry out a static balance 90% of the time ,I find tha a small bead of weld needs to be added to one end of an existing factoru weld.
            or if a factory bead is rough looking a touch up with a die grinder is usually sufficient .
            Mine are ok to 150klms /hr with a vehicle loaded with tools and spares .
            I trust my welding .Like the two in the clip.
            Michael

Comment

Very interesting to watch and interesting to contemplate what these guys know and what they don’t know. Hydrogen embriddlement is more than a term discussed by metallurgists. It can bite you in the backside. I have seen the results of a rim breaking and I am glad that I was not there when it happened.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

Thats allot of work for 1.5".
                Andy

Comment

Cool video. I'm surprised by a couple things I saw, but mostly because I've never done it before.

1) They stick welded it. I suspect most of the young internet experts will comment that it needed to be TIG welded. It never even occurred to me that one could stick weld something like this, I've always used the stick handle which came with my TIG for welding stuff which I deemed non precision. IE something I would bury in the ground like a fence post with a hinge, or thick steel plate to cover a pit, etc. It appears to have worked just fine though.

2) When they re-assembled the outer lip after adding the filler material, it looked like the fellow was tapping it on with a hammer, as if there was a material overlap instead of a butt weld. I had always assumed there would be a butt weld for this type of operation, but maybe an overlap helps ensure the rim halves are concentric without alot of special fixturing.

Comment

Great video, thanks for that!!

I doubt if those were butt welds, i,m pretty sure an overlap of a bit would really be required to strengthen the weld surface.
                    Notice how cool the guy is striking the arc, think he,s done a few before this?
                    So, Two older lads with a life of experience makin a living, can,t get any better than that.
                    Two people organized and co ordinated in each move, great to see.

Comment

i know one thing ..i cant do any welding with one hand ...those guys do ..and do it well.

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                        i know one thing ..i cant do any welding with one hand ...those guys do ..and do it well.

all the best.markj
                        That hand was steady as a rock too.

Judging by how much they did in the short video,I'd bet they banged out all four in an hour.
                        Last edited by wierdscience; 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

looks like they did a pretty good job of it.

Used to be pretty much standard practice back in the baja bug days, back then it was hard to get rims much larger than stock sized.

One trick we used was to cut out the centers of stock rims, then weld them in place of the original centers of implement rims,(available up to 16" wide!!) next step was to recut the tread of implement tires, as there also wasn't a huge selection of off-road tires either....

Comment

I've worked with lots of fella's like that, learned a great deal, and was toughened up quite a bit. That is a great education if available. Nice welding.
                            James Kilroy

Comment

not girly men........
                              www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

Working...
                              X