Mill worklight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill worklight.

I was in Princess Auto today and came across a "LED Worklight for Drill Press" It was on sale for $20...$10 off regular price. I measured it up and it would fit on my BP clone quill. Tonight I installed it and the only thing I had to do was replace a couple of the thump screws with allen set screws because they stuck out too far in front. The back one doesn't matter. I turned a point on the back thumbscrew so it will grip the quill better but left the set screws alone. If it slips off sometime in the future from vibrations, etc, I'll put points on them too.

The light from the 14 LEDs seems to adequately illuminate the work area immediately under the quill. I used a wiggler with a pointed shank to line up with a couple of cross hairs on a piece of paper and there was no shadow at all and no glare either, so all in all I am satisfied with the initial installation. Time will tell if it is a POS or a good buy. It was made in Taiwan too so I'm hoping it's slightly better than the usual made in China stuff. Looks decent anyways FWIW!

Be curious to hear what you think of it after using it for a bit. I tried something similar but found the leds to be too soft a light. Machinery is one application where I prefer a harsh (not to be confused with extremely bright) light such as 10 watt halogens placed rather close. The glamour lighting just didn't do it for me.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

That looks great.
      Thanks for the tip.

If you don't mind, what is the Max. diameter it will fit around?
      Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Problem I have found with these things is that they get in the way.

I'm always having problems getting close into the work without the quill or head hitting the work or dividing heads etc.

Just had to make an extended arbor for a shell mill so I can get down a vertical face without the quill hitting the top of the face.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I found killer lights for the shop I have aging eyes so bright white is best (Feit Electric Daylight 75W) I have only seen these at Costco its a six pack of compact fluorescent bulbs.I know CFL's bite not theses I think there better that incandescent lights and do not have the narrow beam that LED's have. Super bright white light.
          I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink.
          William Halsey

As a Machinist & Gunsmith I like to hear how to not can't do. P.A.R.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
            That looks great.
            Thanks for the tip.

If you don't mind, what is the Max. diameter it will fit around?
            Mike, the inner diameter is stepped, hole size on the bottom half is 3.48" and hole size on the top half is 3.9". Overall thickness is roughly an inch, both in height and width of the ring.

The more I look at it, the more I don't like the thumbscrew idea of tightening it onto the quill. I think I will mount it on magnets, less stress on the body that way.

Comment

Thanks PAR, I'll give them a try....
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
              X