Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy steel dowel pins in small quantities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy steel dowel pins in small quantities?

Enco sells in 100's only, assortment kits are $80 give or take + shipping. I just need a couple of a few sizes for alignment purposes. Anybody got a few for sale or know of a place that sells in onesy-twosies?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Fastenal has baggies of 10 or 20 in individual sizes. I don't remember how many each package has for sure.
    Give em a call to check the price per your requirements.
    Joe

Comment

McMaster has tons of dowel pins.

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
        Enco sells in 100's only, assortment kits are $80 give or take + shipping. I just need a couple of a few sizes for alignment purposes. Anybody got a few for sale or know of a place that sells in onesy-twosies?
        What size do you need? I have a few, but don't recall the sizes. Some are a thou over and/or under, unfortunately (probably) I may not have labeled them.

I think I've seen some of the standard sizes, i.e. 1/8th, 1/4, etc at local hardware stores.

Comment

A local hardware store or even a big box DIY (Lowes, etc) are options. You may also want to find an old fashioned auto parts store such as NAPA, or Federated. When I need good fasteners, etc I go to the local Federated parts house.

Comment

Thanks all, good advice! Didn't even think about a hardware store. We have a good one close by. I only need a few generic sizes like .250, .3125 & .375".
            Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Our local ACE hardware has them from 1/16 to 7/16.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                Our local ACE hardware has them from 1/16 to 7/16.
                Yabbut you live in Louisiana.

They prolly got 50 cal & 20 mm rounds for sale to the general public on the ammo shelf. "Will that be armor piercing or incendiary sir? We have a special on 20 mm w/spent uranium tips this week; buy 1000, get 1000 free plus a free case of pink 9mm's for the little lady!"
                Milton

Comment

Would roll pins be a viable substitute? Might be easier to fin locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P
                    Would roll pins be a viable substitute? Might be easier to fin locally.
                    Those should never be used to locate anything, as they flex. Who knows how many times I have seen molds or stamping cutters that have had parts "aligned" with those and they have come as new for a repair as they don't line up as they should.

At least in here I can find dowel pins from a local fastener store with either h9 (from +0 to a little bit under size) or m6 tolerance (a little bit over) and they cost pennies.
                    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Misumi has a nice variety of alignment pins.

Comment

Ace Hardware and Farm Supply stores sell them 1 at a time about 50 to 75 cents each.

Certain items I always buy box quantity they are much cheaper $3 for a box of 100. You buy 1/2 a box it costs $6 because you had to pay someone to count out 50. I use to tell my idiot boss that at work but he insisted he was saving money only buying 4 of something and never having any extras for another job.

Comment

Yabbut you live in Louisiana.
                          Sir as a gentleman from Missasippah you have insulted my honor.I demand satisfaction,shall it be pistols at 20 paces or are you gonna be a yella bellied Yankah?

.50 cal no problem,20mm gotta load your own here,I know it sucks,but that's how life is sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                            Sir as a gentleman from Missasippah you have insulted my honor.I demand satisfaction,shall it be pistols at 20 paces or are you gonna be a yella bellied Yankah?

.50 cal no problem,20mm gotta load your own here,I know it sucks,but that's how life is sometimes
                            Ooooops! Jeez, I'm sorry; dunno how I got that so turrible wrong.

I was borned, raised & live in Tennessee so I ain't no Yankee. Matter of fact, I wuz almost born in MS. Mom's from Lumberton (near Hattiesburg) Dad was from Lucien (near Brookhaven) and they had only just moved to Memphis when I wuz a'borned way back in the hard winter of '47.

I got m'hat in my hand, would 20 lashes wid a wet noodle suffice as proper punishment?

Wid de utmost respeck,
                            Milton

Comment

Ooooops! Jeez, I'm sorry; dunno how I got that so turrible wrong.

I was borned, raised & live in Tennessee so I ain't no Yankee. Matter of fact, I wuz almost born in MS. Mom's from Lumberton (near Hattiesburg) Dad was from Lucien (near Brookhaven) and they had only just moved to Memphis when I wuz a'borned way back in the hard winter of '47.

I got m'hat in my hand, would 20 lashes wid a wet noodle suffice as proper punishment?

Wid de utmost respeck,
                              It's all good

Know just exactly where Lumberton is,Brookhaven too,if you ever get down this way look me up!

Comment

Working...
                              X