No announcement yet.

One for the knife makers - handle riveting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been doing an experiment since I read this thread. I have been rinsing my razor in cold water instead of hot water. I use the Gilette Fusion Power razor. The blades are rediculously expensive in my mind. I get ten days if I am lucky out of a blade.

I actually think my blade is performing better. It pains me to admit there might be some truth in not washing the blade in hot water.

And for the record, my blades are not made of brass!!!!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
      I have been doing an experiment since I read this thread. I have been rinsing my razor in cold water instead of hot water. I use the Gilette Fusion Power razor.
      Those are stainless steel blades. But thanks for the placebo false positive!
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Please read my post 21 of this thread for correction my conscience made me make. I was incorrect and I hang my head in shame.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

It either works,or it doesn't,don't you think?

Thanks for being open minded,Black Forest. It never hurts to give old wisdom(which I did not invent) a chance. Sometimes it is good,though,of course,there are a lot of blind alleys out there,too.

Comment

Funny, I just Googled "rinse blade hot water" and the first hit was this post on the Mythbuster's forum.

Jim Hrisoulas is a well-known bladesmith/swordsmith, author of a series of popular books on bladesmithing, and a PhD in Metallurgy

Submit a Myth: Historical "Fact": Hot water blunts blades

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f.../m/51719176601
            bezdanj
            Posted 10-28-10 12:48 PM

It appears to be commong knowledge in my country (Croatia) that you should never wash a sharp knife or steel razorblade in hot water because it will get blunt much quicker. The explanation can be rarely heard, but one I heard is that the hot water can help de-temper the steel and make it less durable, hence it gets blunt quicker.

This has given me much thought while washing the dishes or shaving, but I have no precise way of checking it. I'd bet it's a myth and not a fact but I can't be sure.

Dr. J Hrisoulas
            Hello..

Hot water will not have any effect upon the hardness of the steel as tempering/drawing processes are much higher (some almost 5 x depending upon the alloy) than the boiling temperature of water.

However the warmer temperature, coupled with the moisture can slightly elevate the speed of corrosion of the very thin "cutting edge" of the blade but if this would be even noticable in use? This I do not know for certain, but I doubt it. Moisture is usually the culprit when one talks about corrosion...but it can take some time and usually the blade will "dull" before that occurs..

Usually a razor gets "dull" from either errosion/wear along of the cutting edge or "roll over"..."Roll over" is usualy "correctable" by proper stropping. Actual "dulling" will require honing and then a finish stropping to remove any "wire egde" that remains and to help "smooth" the cutting edge...making for a much "smoother" cut

Nadam se ovo pomaže

JPH
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Of COURSE hot water is no degrader of temper. It is the micro degrading of the cutting edge that does the job of making the knife a bit duller. It is factual that before stainless blades came along,surgeons could not autoclave their cutting edges because they would get dulled. Google that.

Autoclaving is,of course,a more extreme heat situation,but I think hot water does it too,just slower,and every time you wash the knife,it adds up.
              Last edited by gwilson; 10-09-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog

Reminds me of a very early post I made years ago wherein I mentioned to the group that engravers frequently "pre-wear" the cutting surface of chisels with 4/0 jewellers sand paper to prevent the tips from snapping. Sir John, Earl of Sudspumpwater had a ball with that one. .

EDITED FOR CORRECTIVE MEASURES: I have received a flood of emails......alright, that's a lie. I received an email stating that it wasn't Sir John who belittled and disgraced my reputation, defamed my character and in general made life a living hell for me My rusty memory is telling me it was: ________________________
                Well don't wash your memory in hot water, clumsy bastard............

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  Well don't wash your memory in hot water, clumsy bastard............
                  OK, now I'm morbidly curious -- who took YOD to task for the Old Wives Tale that you have to let blades (or gravers) "rest" before using them?

Comment

Strange,how I can do the work I do,and at the same time be so wrong about what I know,isn't it?

I had a guy who I taught to make guitars,and who only ever managed to produce one mediocre guitar in 3 years of trying,tell me that he knew as much about it as I did. I had hired him as my first apprentice in Williamsburg in 1970,having no one else with any experience to call upon. I had been building for about 16 years at that time.

Well,I didn't fire him. The director did.

Comment

Mr. Wilson, Maybe your apprentice had a very skilled craftsman but unskilled teacher!

"Strange,how I can do the work I do,and at the same time be so wrong about what I know,isn't it?"

That does not make sense. The work you do is great. No doubt about that. BUT that doesn't have anything to do with why you shouldn't wash a steel knife in hot water. Just because you have always heard that you should not do it does not mean it is actually fact. I don't care how long you have been doing your good work. Makes no sense. The micro fractures could be so but I would have to have a controlled test to agree with that theory. You sound a little bit like the parent that tells the kid "because I said so!"

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                        Strange,how I can do the work I do,and at the same time be so wrong about what I know,isn't it?
                        Magnetic personality ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Black Forest,didn't you just say that you thought you were getting better performance out of your razor by using cool water?

Tis thread has reached its conclusion. Stalemate. I'm done with it. Just head knocking about nothing,really. I just know what works for me.

Comment

God Dammit John that's another keyboard you owe me and if I keep spitting coffee all over these special forces guys I'm in deep trouble.

Comment

What about the hot juices encountered in slicing a roast right out of the 350F oven?

Hmmm, maybe this is why I have such trouble carving the turkey on Thanksgiving. I'll start cooling it in an ice bath from now on, prior to carving.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Not always possible to avoid bad conditions. I use an electric knife with carbide coated serrated blade. It will spoil anyone who uses one.

Comment

Working...
                                X