Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[catastrophic emergancy situation code brown] Microwave Oven Has Stopped Working

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [catastrophic emergancy situation code brown] Microwave Oven Has Stopped Working

    ...it's a Sharp Carrousel II.

    I was cooking two "chicken thangs" like I normally do when it just went "pop" and that was that. No magic smoke... no epic flashes, no arcing or sparking unless it was all internal.

    Fuses down stairs are fine, if that was the problem the entire kitchen would have gone dark.

    Tried a different outlet in another room... no response. Chicken thangs are still partly frozen.

    I know it says "no user serviceable parts inside" but really now... what are the odds that I popped something that could (say) be reset or repaired? I am a bit cautious about opening said microwave as I hear it has a GIGANTIC LIFE-ENDING CAPACITOR OF BLAZING ELECTRIC DEATH inside it.
    "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

  • #2
    There's a flame proof ceramic fuse in there. Did it pop when you closed or opened the door or when you hit start?

    Comment


    • #3
      It was running, about half way through the 5 min cook cycle.

      Microwave is about five years old, and has cooked this particular meal dozens of times without issue.
      "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

      Comment


      • #4
        Bad HV diode. Black block with one wire screwed to the case.

        Comment


        • #5
          It has popped an internal fuse. What could have caused it? Fuse getting old, door switches having sticking contacts, microwave tube shorting out. If you put in another fuse, it might be fine for years, or it could pop right away because it has problems. If you unplug it, it's safe to replace the fuse and try it again. Just don't touch the wires on the big metal can thingy. Chances are there's no voltage on them, since it dies off pretty quickly when power is interrupted, but no need to tempt fate anyway. The fuse area is totally safe to touch contacts or whatever, as long as the cord is unplugged. One dangerous thing in these microwave ovens is that the sheet metal they're made of has sharp edges, and there are ends of screws inside waiting to scratch you. Just pull the plug, open it up, and replace the fuse. If it blows again, you know there's a problem that needs fixing. It may not be worth it.

          None of the several hundred microwave ovens I've gone through over the last year or so has a fuse on the outside, so you'll have to use your resistive heating appliance ( normal oven) for the chicken if you want to eat it any time soon- then you can start by removing the glass tray and everything inside that's loose, then see if you can find all the screws to take out so the cover will come off. There will likely be at least two screws on the bottom to take out, several on the back, maybe some on the sides, etc.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

          Comment


          • #6
            Chicken thangs have been fried into submission on the stove.

            It is well after midnight here in Buffalo NY... I have plenty of other functional cooking devices I think I can put this in the project pile for the weekend.

            Thanks to everyone for the advice.
            "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, as mentioned - door switches - they are designed to blow the fuse if they malfunction, but several other components can do the same thing.

              The last two I fixed (GE monogram) with blown fuses had a shorted HV capacitor in the magnetron circuit. The diode survived both times, but often it doesn't. Symptom - replace the fuse - the micro wave will light up - press cook - and it blows.

              Take care if you are poking around in a microwave... if you are so inclined - this document covers A-Z.

              http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm#micmicgenp
              Last edited by lakeside53; 10-12-2011, 01:25 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRp0DDidq5A

                It's God's way.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Before you rip into have you tried plugging it back in.
                  We have had at least two microwave shut down on thermal overload then continue to work for years without a burp. In fact our Maytag did just that in the last two days.
                  Dave

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I second the "try this first" repair tips. But, if that does not work and you decide to get a new one don't just throw it away. There are some nice magnets in it. Take it apart. Use a well insulated screw driver to short the capacitors. Then find the Magneton out and you find the magnets.

                    Microwave info >> http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/magnetron.html

                    Enjoy,

                    John

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [quote]
                      Originally posted by Grind Bastard
                      It was running, about half way through the 5 min cook cycle.

                      Microwave is about five years old, and has cooked this particular meal dozens of times without issue.[/quote]
                      It's bored it wants a change of diet & is having a temper tantrum
                      John

                      I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As has been mentioned, sometimes the fuse just gets fatigued from constantly cycling. The fuse link actually flexes each time the Magnetron kicks on and relaxes when it turns off, which is often when the power setting is not at max. My last microwave used to blow them about every 4 months. It got to the point that I wished the cover had a zipper!

                        Chris

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jugs


                          It's bored it wants a change of diet & is having a temper tantrum

                          This made me laugh.
                          "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Must be a microwave contagion making the rounds.

                            Yesterday morning I pulled the handle to open our microwave and the top end of the handle just pulled loose. No pop or crack, or anything signifying failure at that moment. The plastic had apparently broke the previous time it was used.

                            Then later in the day, having forgotten about that, I opened it again and succeeded in breaking the bottom attachment.

                            Superglued both ends back, which is holding so far. Fingers are crossed throughout the household. This is a built-in, above the stove, so replacement will be highly inconvenient.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              GB thanks for breaking my microwave with all your bad Karma. ;-)
                              I must report that the intermittent shutdown now seems to be a permanent fault on mine. it seems that if the door is closed its on.
                              Some further checking is required.
                              Unfortunately ours is mounted on the wall above the stove so I cant just replace mine with anything.

                              Last one lasted 15 years. This Maytag needs service after about 3.

                              Sign of the times.

                              I hope you have better luck.

                              Dave

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X