Radiator cores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator cores?

Got a problem,obsolete radiator on a forklift.No replacements anywhere tanks too far gone to reuse and core thinks it's a lawn sprinkler.Looked for a universal fit from Jegs etc and nothing small enough is availible.

So,if I could find a core I could fab my own tanks and connections and solder up my own.

Only problem is finding a supplier for the core.Any clues?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I don’t know how many shops are in your particular area – but have you called around to see if there are any shops that can make a core to your specification?

I just ask because a friend of mine was able to get a 4-core replacement made to fit in place where a maximum 3-core radiator was stock. The shop he approached was versed in building custom radiators for hot-rodders and it seemed to be nothing special for them to build one. It did cost more though..

Comment

Could you rework a heater core?
      Dave

Comment

I ran into that before and used a heater core from a school bus from the
        junkyard and also grabbed an expansion tank from some rice burner to fill
        it. And also you are not limited as the orig. location it can be on the roof,
        anywhere as long as its mounted a little higher than the engine block.

Comment

Auto Salvage yard is a good place to start. Find one that has a core larger than what you need. Unsolder the tanks. use a saw to cut the core down to size. Cut the tanks down by cutting the center out. Typically tanks have "ridges and valleys"in the sheet metal so if you cut it right the valley will slip into the ridge so you will have a lap joint to braze together.

Find a local Hot Rod group, or join one online. Lots of Good Ole Boy hot rodders have done this kind of thing.

I assume you have checked for places like this online >>

http://www.completeradiators.com/

They have a "contact us" section. Send them your size requirements, possibly that will have something that will work you will not have to resize.

Good Luck,

John

Comment

Will one of these work.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...earch=radiator
            Gary Davison
            Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Slick,there are two shops in town,both send them out for rebuild,new cores on old tanks,problem here is the tanks are down to paper thin,so basically I have nothing to work with.One did quote me a price on a core about the same size to do what I need,$950 for a 15x17"core sounds a bit steep.

DFMiller & big job,good idea,gonna look into that today.

hemmjo,got feelers out,but it's not looking good.The local salvage yards don't keep anything older than 10 years or so,everything is plastic tanked or single cored too which doesn't help.

gld,saw those,all are too big.This radiator is pretty small,it fits up in the counterweight,only measures 17x22 overall zero room to spare and odd shaped tanks just to make it more fun.

Comment

Have you considered a radiator for a water cooled motorcycle? They are about the size you need and may be available at a motorcycle wrecking yard.

Comment

What about an aluminum one geared toward hot rod/racing use?
                  I would suspect they can be had in any configuration needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782
                    What about an aluminum one geared toward hot rod/racing use?
                    I would suspect they can be had in any configuration needed.
                    I've got one now.I bought the smallest they listed and was figuring on modifying both it and the lift,but it's just not going to make it.

Comment

Did you take it to a radiator shop and have them look at repairing it?

Comment

If you don't use it for very long at any one time, just replace the radiator with a tank.
                        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Dang it, Winchman, now you've blown it-----------more 'n one of us itching to dumpster dive, just waiting on the inevitable---------

--G

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                            Did you take it to a radiator shop and have them look at repairing it?
                            Yes,he made the sign of the cross and handed it back to me When this guy says it's bad,it's Bad.Apparently the stop leak filled pits finally all connected forming one giant leak instead of 10,000 small ones,

Comment

Well how about hot water copper with radiating fins for home heating and make your own radiator,then add an electric fan......don't give up,there MUST be a solution!

Comment

Working...
                              X