Craftex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftex

So I went and bought a used Craftex 12 x 40 lathe. Did I buy a piece of junk or is it a useable lathe. Just seen a pic on Craigslist and spoke for it. He said his dad used it six times so it's basically new. Anybody out there with one? (gearhead) Peter
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Well......he's claims to be no expert (former member Airhead), but knows for a fact, that it's a good a machine as any Monarch, L&S, Sidney, Logan, Sheldon or other lathe made this side of the Pacific rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqx6lq6tLY

Comment

So in other words, its a generic chinese made lathe.

Comment

My experience with Craftex products is that they are at the upper end of the Chinese quality spectrum. Some are made in Taiwan rather than the PRC.

Craftex machines seem to have well made motors, for instance. The motor on my Craftex bandsaw is not likely to burn out and even after hours of use is only slightly warm. The quality of the castings is very acceptable and the overall fit and finish is good. I have looked at quite a few Craftex machines in a couple of Busy Bee stores and I would not be ashamed to have one. While many Chinese made machines may look very similar there are very considerable differences in quality at the detail level.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have a Craftex mill/drill made in 1984, so I expect that it is Taiwanese. In any case, it is pretty sturdily built and serves me well.
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

craftex

Thankyou gentlemen, I assume I'll not be dissapointed. Peter
            The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Every thing was pretty much Taiwan in the 80's. I am lucky to have bought my vertical mill and 16" lathe in 1986. Still in perfect shape,though not used like they would have been in a production shop.

And,only ever used to cut BRASS,too!

Comment

Craftex is the house name of BusyBee. I have a few of their machines and in this corner of the world where machine tools are few and far between, they are good value for the money in my experience. The few times I have needed parts they have always had them, including the real old stuff. Prices are decent, too.

Comment

I do not have experience with Craftex.

I have experience this Busy Bee.

Stay away from Busy Bee!! When stuff happens they claim not to know you and want to charge you to do what any retailer would do for free.

Busy Bee is the lowest of low!!

Comment

That hasn't been my experience. Once they sent me a countersink that was supposed to be 82 degree but in the blister pack it was a 90 degree part. I called them to inform them and order another counter sink. They offered to replace it with the correct one but I told them not to bother.

The next day I had a personal call from the vice president of Marketing, Hanif Balolia, thanking me for alerting them to the problem since it turned out they had 5000 units all marked wrong.

Busy Bee is owned and operated by the brothers and relatives of the owner of Grizzly in the US.

Comment

The newest Busy Bee catalog shows a new Craftex line for the high end hobby and pro market. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.
                      My experience at Busy Bee is you have to closely look at what you are buying. They have some good stuff and some really cheap stuff.
                      If its made in Taiwan is probably not bad.

Dave

Comment

I have a Craftex 12 x 36 geared head lathe I bought it about 1 1/2 years ago.
                        I also have a Craftex 8 x 30 knee mill that is a couple years old. I am very happy
                        with the quality of the machines. the lathe is made in China and the mill is Taiwanese.
                        The 3MT taper in the tail stock quill was very poorly finished and did not hold well.
                        I emailed BusyBee and they promptly sent me a replacement quill which was properly finished.

I would say that they are good value for the price paid.

Terry

Comment

Craftex is the house name of BusyBee.
                          Actually, Craftex is the name of Craftex Industries which is owned by the owner of Busy Bee. Craftex imports and sells a wide range of products including metal work machines, wood working machines and a wide range of assistive living devices ranging from special toilets to electronic screen magnifiers.

Comment

Both my lathe and my mill are Craftex and I am very happy with them. Some of the local BusyBee tools distributor outlets don't know their a$$ from their elbow, but the product is good.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Craftex

Originally posted by rancherbill
                              I do not have experience with Craftex.

I have experience this Busy Bee.

Stay away from Busy Bee!! When stuff happens they claim not to know you and want to charge you to do what any retailer would do for free.

Busy Bee is the lowest of low!!
                              That' s not my experience with Busy Bee they have better than average customer support more than willing to correct all issues. You always catch more flys with honey than poop on a stick. Go figure!

Bill
                              Veteran - I served our country because it was the right thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X