Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, why two lead screws?

Why of course so he can have one for every day of the weekend

seriously I agree with my pal kendall a waste of time when there are so many good lathes out there unless your a natural bodger? and love to spend ages making a second hand inferior product,to what he could have had right away for less effort and maybe even less money. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

A lot of the things I have done were not because they were practical,but because I wanted do do them.

I have made a lathe from scratch for automatically turning out tuning pegs,handles,and other smallish items that could be oval,or other shapes. I need to photograph it. No castings used.

Why? I wanted to do it,though I could have modified a small metal lathe.

Comment

Anyone suggesting this guy was wasting his time building things instead of going out and buying a machine,, just doesn't GET IT!!

Comment

Super Craftsman,like said he probably did it out of necessity at least partly.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Agreed. There was a English engineer/gentleman named Roland Peck. who designed and built and beautiful 250 4-cyl dohc motorcycle. He determined that to complete the task, he would have to design and build himself a lathe, milling machine, etc. He designed all the molds, castings. I understand from eyewitness remarks that they were beautiful tools. He then built the bike, drove it around a bit, sold it and that was that. He then sold off the tools, as he accomplished what he had set out to do.
            Last edited by daryl bane; 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Post #10 of that forum explains about the right hand thread leadscrew & the left hand thread leadscrew.

Comment

While I don't doubt he built a lathe...I do doubt he built the one in the photos..."we found some patterns and concluded that..." does not quite satisfy my curiosity.

But who knows? Maybe someone will provide more concrete info...

All in all he seems to have been a very talented guy....

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson

I have made a lathe from scratch for automatically turning out tuning pegs,handles,and other smallish items that could be oval,or other shapes. I need to photograph it. No castings used.

George, wondering if you've managed to take any photos of this lathe of yours, please.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Henro
                    But who knows? Maybe someone will provide more concrete info...
                    That would be the newspaper article I linked to in post #15.
                    Jim H.

Comment

I did read that article, which shows Frank Parr had abundant talent.

Did not see any pictures of a lathe though...

There is mention of his manufacturing a "small bench lathe," but who knows if that is the lathe being discussed?

When I look at those lathe pictures some things look homegrown while others look "factory made."

I still have my doubts...about the lathe...not about Mr. Parr's talent!

Comment

My little lathe is sitting unused for years,not in the best shape for pictures unless I get it cleaned up. And,I took off the countershaft as I just haven't the space for it.

I am sure if I took pictures,someone in the usual gang would be sure to find something to jump on me about it. I may get to it anyway,though. It's getting it cleaned up and moving it for pictures that I can't do right now,with the knee and thumb trouble I have been having.

Seems like several are having some kind of problem with the lathe shown in this thread already,instead of admiring an accomplishment. The man built the lathe because he wanted to.
                        Last edited by gwilson; 10-15-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I seem to recall that Evan built a lathe from scratch, AND started a "flame war" visavis the suitability of, gasp, WOOD for the bed. I think that it works very well.
                          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                            Seems like several are having some kind of problem with the lathe shown in this thread already,instead of admiring an accomplishment.
                            Hey, some people are just that way. They'd complain if you hung 'em with a brand new rope!
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I guarantee some of the usual gang will belly ache about it.

Comment

Personally i,m getting tired of those knocking others projects on here.

Just what seems to be the problem with someone building a machine of their own?

I enjoy greatly postings of others accomplishments,, even if they arn't 100% perfect.(there are many talented small home shop guys all around the world building things , so why bitch about it??? -Always a puzzel to me !!

How about the complainers posting a few pics of their own builds?

Or,,,do they just buy everything they need?

Comment

Working...
                                X