• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustybolt
    replied
    Originally posted by jugs
    Wonderful craftmanship......... But why

plenty of good machinery out there so why go to all that effort to copy whats already available ???? I can't see any innovations, in fact he's coped all the std faults in lathe design

More than likely there wasn't any avaiable at the time.
    or he did as a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Henro
    replied
    For those interested here is a link to some good photos of the model engine that Frank Parr built that was the focus of that newspaper article...

See post #36.

Hope the link works...great pictures.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f12/de...ml#post1387812

Leave a comment:

• topct
    replied
    Originally posted by gwilson
    It seems like it would discourage others from posting their projects. This is not a desirable situation. We don't get to see what those unknown talented guys out there are doing.

Maybe I should post some projects in black and white,so the belly achers can't tell if it is made of brass?
    Why are you so overly concerned? Sometimes there are projects posted here that need to be questioned.

Despite your proven ability you seem to be rather sensitive. I don't understand why. You have no reason to be so.

Leave a comment:

• Henro
    replied
    Originally posted by sasquatch
    Henro go back to posting #14 and click on the "Elffers" lathe,, then tell us if this was really homebuilt by Mr Elffers.

We'd be interested in your'e appraisal.
    I think the "Elffers" lathe illustrates the point I am trying to make.

By the way, I can't imagine why anyone would be interested on my appraisal! I am just a home hobby guy with some life experience.

Anyway, take a look at the Elffers lathe. Notice that the castings/weldments are not free flowing castings, but rather angled flat surfaces in design. More like a home grown lathe might be like.

Also, the Elffers lathe bed does not appear to be a casting, no professional looking name plates, and so on.

The flag in my mind is that after Frank Parr passes away, those remaining find some patterns that could have been used for casting parts of the lathe, and then they conclude that the lathe in the shop was therefore made by Frank Parr. Those patterns may have been used in the manufacture of the lathe, and obtained along with the lathe at some point in the past. Stranger things have happened.

The lathe may have been manufactured by Frank Parr; or, it may not have been. Looks too refined to me to be home brew. Yes it could be. Had the relatives been closer (at least in his shop) to the man that passed away, they would know the answer without needing to make a guess about it.

I hope I don't come across as being more than a skeptic. That newspaper article shows that Frank Parr was a very talented person. I, as most here, would like to believe he manufactured that lathe on his own. My intuition when seeing the photos simply strongly questioned the assumptions made by his surviving relatives.

In no way would I want to reflect poorly on the memory of a very talented home machinist.

If I came across as doing so I regret it as that was not my intention.

Leave a comment:

• jkilroy
    replied
    How about a "Your Projects" forum where replies are not allowed only posts by the tread starter? I have seen similar on other forums.

Leave a comment:

• j.bain87
    replied
    It seems like it would discourage others from posting their projects. This is not a desirable situation.
    George, could you please check your private messages.

John

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    Henro go back to posting #14 and click on the "Elffers" lathe,, then tell us if this was really homebuilt by Mr Elffers.

We'd be interested in your'e appraisal.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    It seems like it would discourage others from posting their projects. This is not a desirable situation. We don't get to see what those unknown talented guys out there are doing.

Maybe I should post some projects in black and white,so the belly achers can't tell if it is made of brass?

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    Personally i,m getting tired of those knocking others projects on here.

Just what seems to be the problem with someone building a machine of their own?

I enjoy greatly postings of others accomplishments,, even if they arn't 100% perfect.(there are many talented small home shop guys all around the world building things , so why bitch about it??? -Always a puzzel to me !!

How about the complainers posting a few pics of their own builds?

Or,,,do they just buy everything they need?

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    I guarantee some of the usual gang will belly ache about it.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Seems like several are having some kind of problem with the lathe shown in this thread already,instead of admiring an accomplishment.
    Hey, some people are just that way. They'd complain if you hung 'em with a brand new rope!

Leave a comment:

• Duffy
    replied
    I seem to recall that Evan built a lathe from scratch, AND started a "flame war" visavis the suitability of, gasp, WOOD for the bed. I think that it works very well.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    My little lathe is sitting unused for years,not in the best shape for pictures unless I get it cleaned up. And,I took off the countershaft as I just haven't the space for it.

I am sure if I took pictures,someone in the usual gang would be sure to find something to jump on me about it. I may get to it anyway,though. It's getting it cleaned up and moving it for pictures that I can't do right now,with the knee and thumb trouble I have been having.

Seems like several are having some kind of problem with the lathe shown in this thread already,instead of admiring an accomplishment. The man built the lathe because he wanted to.
    Last edited by gwilson; 10-15-2011, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Henro
    replied
    I did read that article, which shows Frank Parr had abundant talent.

Did not see any pictures of a lathe though...

There is mention of his manufacturing a "small bench lathe," but who knows if that is the lathe being discussed?

When I look at those lathe pictures some things look homegrown while others look "factory made."

I still have my doubts...about the lathe...not about Mr. Parr's talent!

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    Originally posted by Henro
    But who knows? Maybe someone will provide more concrete info...
    That would be the newspaper article I linked to in post #15.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X