Working with an audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with an audience

I am wondering if others are like me in this or am I an oddball in this regard. I don't like to work on a customer's job while he is watching. Some customers are better than others about this and sometimes, I understand, there is an urgency to the job or perhaps the customer needs to be present to provide useful information. But, by and large, I can't seem to function as well when there is an audience.

The condition seems to worsen as I get older. I am getting to the point where I will practically refuse a job if the customer insists on being present.

So --- am I a nut or what?

No. It's almost guaranteed I'll screw something up. Unless I'm teaching somebody I don't like people hanging around when I work.

Comment

Randolph,

I don't find that attitude strange at all. What little work I do for others is mostly for friends and most of the time the need for a great deal of precision is not called for. In that case I kind of like it when they stay and watch or help to the extent that they can. i appreciate their interest.

However, when precision is called for, I don't want any distractions so I prefer to work alone. I am relatively new at this hobby, so maybe when I have more time/experience it won't matter so much either way.

Regards,

Tim

Comment

Any work i do is for friends ..and i insist that they look on, sometimes ..to see how much effort and time this stuff takes .

they see it ...and "most" are only too willing to return my favours.

works well.

any who don't return the favours ..after asking or hinting a few times..then they aren't my friends any more

all the best.markj

Comment

I frequently work with an audience of students, and I don't mind it too much. I feel it gives me a chance to pass along my attitudes about enjoying work and taking pride in what I do.

I want them to see that measuring carefully, cutting right on the line, and taking care of other details makes the job easier in the long run, since you don't have to figure out later how to straighten out a sloppy assembly.
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Depends on the person. Some people know how to be a looker-on and be virtually invisible, and others are like fingernails on a blackboard.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The last two years I demonstrated my electronic threading system at NAMES.

The nature of the demonstration, with me describing everything and dividing my attention, virtually guarantees that I will bugger something. Consequently, I use Delrin for my workpieces - very forgiving, no broken tooling.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I don't want any distractions so I prefer to work alone
                I too have gotten quite used to working alone but for me it is more one of ownership. Others of course can do great work but if I am the only one doing the work, I am the only one they (employers) need to come looking for if something is not up to "par".
                My personal experience(s) have been that I am a lousy leader, in that the amount of time spent supervising is time I could have spent actively working, my productivity suffers IF I need to spend time "supervising".

I have also found it easier to literally ban others from the immediate area...that stems from some not having a clue what is going on, and, venting here, IF there are sparks flying off the grinder or there is a flame on the end of the torch or my nose is literally inches from a spinning chuck, DO NOT just come up behind and ask me where xyz is...at that split second I don't give a crap! Edit to add: I suspect I, like others, develop a rhythm of the work on an given day and unexpected/unplanned interruptions can be very disconbobulating.
                Its not that the work is all the important but I am one that has to concentrate [the safety aspect gives an easy "out" for debateably poor behavior]
                Last edited by RussZHC; 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I don't even like to tie my shoes with anyone watching. ...afraid I'll tie them together.

Whatever I'm doing, if wife, or girlfriend, stops to watch I simply stop and take a break.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

If someone comes around I stop what I am doing. I can't stand to have anyone watching me what soever. Don't know why I am like that, but that is what I am like. Stan

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                      I don't even like to tie my shoes with anyone watching. ...afraid I'll tie them together.

Whatever I'm doing, if wife, or girlfriend, stops to watch I simply stop and take a break.
                      I'm with Lynnl on this one as well.
                      But if my wife and my girlfriend enter the shop...well I'm just glad I've got a back door.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I had an audience constantly for 16 years in the museum. You get used to it. But,I must say,it's easier to sew leather or weave a basket than to do marquetry,or make a violin with people watching.

Comment

It's a fear
                          The fear of making a mistake
                          The fear of ridicule ( for the mistake)
                          This is complicated , as most of us pride ourselves on not making mistakes.
                          Develop a sense of humor about your abilites and maybe that will help.

If we laugh at our errors, it lowers the pschological pressure on us and onlookers generally accept that, without judgement of your skills, as they are having you do it because they can't !
                          They may laugh with you, but secretly they are glad it wasn't them !

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt
                            It's a fear
                            The fear of making a mistake
                            The fear of ridicule ( for the mistake)
                            I'm sure that's it for some people, but others of us are introverts. We need to be alone to think and focus.

Comment

I don't mind unless they won't shut up or get in the way.

The one thing that will earn a wrench across the teeth though is idle whistling,irritates me no end
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X