Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way off topic but I'm tired of this crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way off topic but I'm tired of this crap!

OK, I really have resisted the urge to post about this for months, But I'm about fed up. We have a National "Do NOT call" list in Canaduh. From what I understand it's along the same lines as what the U.S. has. (Theirs doesn't work any better than ours from what I've learned.) Yes I have registered our phone number a few years ago on that "Do not friggen call list". For the most part it works well enough for normal honest companys. They observe and abide by the rules. So no real problems with them. But we have been getting calls from a "Microsoft representitive" And all of them are barely understandable in English 2-3 times a week for 6-8 months, Obviously they know our phone number, But they also know the easy enough to get home address. Our computer "Is in danger of an immediate crash and I need to go to a certain website", Uh huh, right! I'll just bet on it and get right on that detail. Ok, Being nice Pete and asking them not to call any more gets zero results, Being the Bad Pete I want to be normally, And then flipping out like a escapee from a tourette syndrome ward gets me zero results also. Lately it's been patient Pete, "Can you hold on I really want to deal with this but I've gotta let the dog outside so just hold on, I'll be right back." The last fool waited almost 4.5 minutes before he finally hung up, I've been doing that routine for a couple of months. I still get the G/D calls. I've registered complaints with our "Do not call" registry and squat happens.

I've got a lot of respect for the knowlege and varied experience in many different fields that lots of members on this forum have. So maybe slightly on topic? Can anything be built that would transmitt a electronic generated sound thru the phone lines and is the phone speaker on the other end capable of reproducing a more than loud enough sound to temporarily, Or better yet, permanently deafen the caller on the other end? (Yeah I know, Probably illegal.) And yes I would only use it very selectivly for the greater good of mankind. If that's not possible, Then does anybody else have some good ideas about how to defeat these S.O.B.s? I own and pay for a phone for calling out, Friends and important calls to come in. These !$&@#*% rip off artists don't rate using something that I pay for.

Think about it, If this forum as a whole came up with a 100% workable solution for just this problem, You'd be judged as living god's to the rest of the world, And you'd all be rich enough that Bill Gates would be buying you lunch at the "club".

Apologys for the off topic rant, But "I'm mad as hell, And I'm not gonna take it anymore".

Oh yeah, While your at it, A 100% workable solution for spam emails would be helpful too.

Pete

just tell them how you feel....& do it properly

Comment

Mike,
      I'm quite sure my wife can verify this. I have told them exactly how I feel and numerous times. She thinks I'm the best she's ever seen at "explaining" things in great detail and with mining language honed to a razors edge from years of practice. LOL, Believe me, There's nothing that could be misunderstood.

Pete

Comment

Get call display. I just don't answer any number that starts with an 800 or any "Unknown" or "Blocked" numbers or for that matter, pretty much any number I don't recognize.

The problem with the DNC list is that it only applies to Canadian companies. Charities can still call as can anyone outside of Canada. The really sleazy ones actually get the DNC list and use it as a source of valid numbers to call

Comment

My solution is caller ID. IF I don't know the number, I don't answer. I only make an exception for local numbers.

Comment

Pete,
            Those calls are coming from India. Telus says that can't do anything about them. Putting them on hold is probably they best thing you can do. Wasting their time will reduce their productivity and thus be the most harmful. :-)

I have reduced their calls to our place by some carefully chosen words that they seemed to understand.
            And fun at the same time.

I also find answering machine also works. Them home phone is becoming almost redundant.

Good luck.
            Dave

Comment

We do have call display, I also should have added I have job resumes out right now to many parts of the world. I really do have to take any call that comes in no matter where it's from. I just want these A..holes to stop. Pumping 10.000 volts @ 3 amps down the phone line would solve my problems after a few calls.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete
                OK, I really have resisted the urge to post about this for months, But I'm about fed up. We have a National "Do NOT call" list in Canaduh. From what I understand it's along the same lines as what the U.S. has. (Theirs doesn't work any better than ours from what I've learned.) Yes I have registered our phone number a few years ago on that "Do not friggen call list". For the most part it works well enough for normal honest companys. They observe and abide by the rules. So no real problems with them. But we have been getting calls from a "Microsoft representitive" And all of them are barely understandable in English 2-3 times a week for 6-8 months, Obviously they know our phone number, But they also know the easy enough to get home address. Our computer "Is in danger of an immediate crash and I need to go to a certain website", Uh huh, right! I'll just bet on it and get right on that detail. Ok, Being nice Pete and asking them not to call any more gets zero results, Being the Bad Pete I want to be normally, And then flipping out like a escapee from a tourette syndrome ward gets me zero results also. Lately it's been patient Pete, "Can you hold on I really want to deal with this but I've gotta let the dog outside so just hold on, I'll be right back." The last fool waited almost 4.5 minutes before he finally hung up, I've been doing that routine for a couple of months. I still get the G/D calls. I've registered complaints with our "Do not call" registry and squat happens.

I've got a lot of respect for the knowlege and varied experience in many different fields that lots of members on this forum have. So maybe slightly on topic? Can anything be built that would transmitt a electronic generated sound thru the phone lines and is the phone speaker on the other end capable of reproducing a more than loud enough sound to temporarily, Or better yet, permanently deafen the caller on the other end? (Yeah I know, Probably illegal.) And yes I would only use it very selectivly for the greater good of mankind. If that's not possible, Then does anybody else have some good ideas about how to defeat these S.O.B.s? I own and pay for a phone for calling out, Friends and important calls to come in. These !$&@#*% rip off artists don't rate using something that I pay for.

Think about it, If this forum as a whole came up with a 100% workable solution for just this problem, You'd be judged as living god's to the rest of the world, And you'd all be rich enough that Bill Gates would be buying you lunch at the "club".

Apologys for the off topic rant, But "I'm mad as hell, And I'm not gonna take it anymore".

Oh yeah, While your at it, A 100% workable solution for spam emails would be helpful too.

Pete
                aha .,...i knew that music was for something ...knew it had a use...Thankyou JUGS

now all you have to do is figure how to play it full blast down the phone

guaranteed no one will listen to this for more than 5 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bibXZUZVonw

All the best.markj

Comment

Won't stop the calls but gives immense satisfaction.

Record the calls, just their side, you don't say anything just listen and record, might have to do this a couple of times then make a new tape with this repeated endlessly.

Next time they call play it back, again don't say anything.

Keep doing it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Mark,
                    LOL, Man I used to be into some pretty hard heavy metal, rock and roll back in the day, I'd fully agree with the 5 second rule with your selection. Problem is they'd just stick another warm spot in the seat who will still phone next week. I'm just dead tired of dropping anything going on to answer a stupid useless waste of my time. Somehow I'm on a "Let's call this redneck and piss him off" list. Even if I wanted to, I really can't change my phone number due to the resumes I've sent out. A lot of times in the industry I'm in, The first contact is by phone and not thru an email.

LOL, Sir John, That's really evil. ..................I like it. :-)

Pete
                    Last edited by uncle pete; 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

A few years back someone came up with a selection of files you could play into the phone, the one I liked best and have a copy somewhere was one that
                      you say to the caller, Hang on a minute, I think there is some animals coming into my yard, the recording starts with a faint rumble and gradually builds until a thunderous noise complete with elephants trumpeting in stampede, at the sound of a load of crashing you hang up the phone.
                      Max.

Comment

I have the right solution for you, I'll just need your phone number and home address please

Best practice has been to install software on my phone (HTC Android) that blocks all calls I have on a "blacklist". And once an unrecognized idiot gets through, the number ends up on the list.

I do answer blocked/unknown numbers, as the police and some friends will call from blocked numbers. But if the callers business doesn't come out clear in the first 5 seconds, I just hang up.
                        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

The national do not call list has made absolutely no difference to the number of unwanted calls that I receive. Actually I believe the number of calls I receive have gone up since I put my name on the list.

The Microsoft impersonators have been very prolific as of late. I've tried stalling tactics to waste their time, asked them not to call, cursed at them, even told them I don't have a computer, but they keep phoning.

Here's the latest from the Canadian Ant Fraud Center:
                          http://www.antifraudcentre-centreant...%20release.pdf

September 29, 2011 - OTTAWA - The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and their
                          partners at the Canadian Anti Fraud Center (CAFC) are warning that if someone calls you
                          claiming to be able to protect your computer from viruses, your best bet is to just hang up the
                          phone. Don’t give the caller your computer access codes and don’t provide your credit card
                          information.

The virus scam has grown to epidemic proportions in Canada, now accounting for between 70
                          and 80 per cent of frauds reported daily to the CAFC. “We began noticing virus scam calls in
                          March 2010. Since then, they’ve become an increasing proportion of our calls. Now, they’re the
                          scam we deal with most often,” said RCMP Staff Sgt. Paul Proulx of the CAFC. ..............................
                          I know people that got suckered into their scam to the tune of $400!
                          As long as it's profitable it will continue.

Like Pete I pay for the privilege of using my phone and don't like it one damn bit that these shysters are using my phone for their sleazy sales tactics.

So if anybody can come up with something like Pete suggests that will fry them or their system....phone me.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Most of these type of spammers use an auto dialing system, it they make a connection and don't get a voice within 10 seconds they break the call.

If I see a number I don't recognise, I answer it and just wait, say nothing, 9 times out of 10 they break the call.

I'd like to think that it get logged on a list as a non verbal call ie fax etc and blocked as even auto dialers don't want to waste time.
                            However I have no proof of this.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

LOL, Well we may not have solved the issue but I really have got lot's of laughs out of all your posts. I'm not quite as P.O. as I was. Jaakko just may have jogged my memory tho. For some reason I do believe our Telus phone system does have something where you can block certain phone numbers coming in.

Willy,
                              "So if anybody can come up with something like Pete suggests that will fry them or their system...phone me.

LMAO, That was the funniest one yet, I'm still laughing about that one.

Sir John,
                              Good logical point, I'll mention that to the wife. We will for sure give that a try.

Pete
                              Last edited by uncle pete; 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X